PDA

View Full Version : Little help, Chartplotter purchase???

FNQCairns
27-11-2007, 11:28 AM
I have 800-900 US dollars MAX to spend not counting postage I have been looking here http://www.fishonmarine.net/SearchResults.asp

Can anyone can narrow the choice down on a unit that has the best specs without some unknown to me big disadvantage (like it's actually a navman, or it's really slow etc) please let me know, the brands I am interested in is Garmin, Furono and Raymarine but also sitex and standard horizon, interphase (if good brands).

EDIT: or should I solely base my purchase on the charting because if it were not for the green zones I probably wouldn't be buying one at all.

thanks fnq

STUIE63
27-11-2007, 01:23 PM
FNQ I would narrow the field by the charting first have a look at areas you know and compare charts around townsville I found navionics to have more detail. once you pick a chart then the plotter choice is already narrowed down
As Sol said charts aren't charts
Stuie

mik01
27-11-2007, 05:30 PM
gday mate - you might have already read this, but if not make sure you are aware of waranty support for these brands -

SiTex – SiTex is made in the US. Service can only be obtained in the US and Canada.

Standard Horizon – Standard Horizon makes a fantastic product and they offer the longest warranty in the business, 3 years. However, service can only be obtained in the US and Canada.

Interphase – Interphase products are manufactured here in the US. Service can be obtained in Australia through Coursemaster Autopilots, 61 2 9417 7097. We spoke with Interphase directly and they said it would be up to Coursemaster as to whether they would provide warranty service, and they would provide out of warranty service.

view full link here - https://www.fishonmarine.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=54

(sorry - can't help you with chartplotter advice)

revs57
27-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Scott,

Out of the chartplotters I have used, the Furuno, Navman and Garmin, I have found the Garmin the one that works as I think it should. I find it very user friendly and the blue map gives good detail. Not sure how accurate it is for up your way, but its excellent for down here...I'd buy another in a heart beat

Cheers

Rhys

bluefin59
27-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I have had a navman for 4yr ,its had a couple of issues in that time but if it has a problem again i am going to buy the garmin of P.P at fishon...matt

buggerit
27-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I have a Sitex Colourmax 6 , i have no complaints with it , find it very easy to use .
Bought it through QOME , good fast service , quick delivery and a nice helpful bloke as well .

disorderly
27-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Scott the 498c combo that fishon has on special sounds like a good bet(and it comes with a transducer so you can use it as a sounder as well or just as a backup.
I have the older model 178c and am happy with the standard bluechart though I have not compared it to the other types of chart for this area so i cant say if it is better or worse than the others.
I also had a problem with the transducer and this was replaced locally under warranty (though I originally imported the unit)though I had to pay $55 and it took a while.
Whichever unit you buy though i think you will not regret it for a moment.Its a fantastic asset to fishing and navigating.

Good luck with your choice.

FNQCairns
27-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Great replies lots of food for thought, looking now at the Garmin 525, but the widescreen Standard Horizon looks good also.

Didn't want to annoy any sellers here as I am not going to buy from them, just doesn't sit right so the good advice above is invaluable, my learning curve is steep, thanks.

cheers fnq

snelly1971
27-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi Scott,

Out of the chartplotters I have used, the Furuno, Navman and Garmin, I have found the Garmin the one that works as I think it should. I find it very user friendly and the blue map gives good detail. Not sure how accurate it is for up your way, but its excellent for down here...I'd buy another in a heart beat

Cheers

Rhys

I couldnt agree more Rhys....The new 3D vision charts are just awesome..

Mick

mickc
27-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Standard Horizon – Standard Horizon makes a fantastic product and they offer the longest warranty in the business, 3 years. However, service can only be obtained in the US and Canada.

These units are sold in Australia e.g Trimax Marine in Brisbane so i would imagine that they would be serviced in Aus.

disorderly
27-11-2007, 10:34 PM

These units are sold in Australia e.g Trimax Marine in Brisbane so i would imagine that they would be serviced in Aus.

I think the problem is that the importers of some brands feel that they shouldnt be obliged to provide service for units that were imported directly by the customer and not through them.

mik01
27-11-2007, 10:35 PM

I think the policy is that if you buy it in the US, the warranty only applies there. Likewise if you buy here etc...

that's my take on it.

FNQCairns
28-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the posts have now all but ordered a chartplotter - exciting it is!, decided to go with the Garmin 525 + vision charts and in the process have just been informed not to expect anything outstanding for at least future 2 christmas's and a birthday :( . I give it but 1 xmas then she will forget...:)

Thanks and cheers fnq

poundalead
28-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey FNQ I am in the same predicament as you at the moment. I am looking at the same plotters as you and have been racking my brains as to which one I will choose. Me thinks the Garmin has just gotten over the line from reading this thread. Good luck with the purchase

Cheers Benny

Spaniard_King
28-11-2007, 08:10 PM
FNQ, have you bought the garmin, I have the 525 with vision chart... If you want to buy mine I will go the Lowrance :) its only a few monthd old :) :)

Spaniard_King
28-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I better clarify that a bit more I sup[pose. I am looking for a bigger screen than my 525.. let me know if your interested.

deadbeatloser
01-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the posts have now all but ordered a chartplotter - exciting it is!, decided to go with the Garmin 525 + vision charts and in the process have just been informed not to expect anything outstanding for at least future 2 christmas's and a birthday :( . I give it but 1 xmas then she will forget...:)

Thanks and cheers fnq
it will be worth it ;D
i purchased garmin 400 series g2 vision easieset plotter i have ever used.
630 mr boats ebay
g2 vision card EASTCOAST AUS 350 QOME

polky
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Spaniard-king, If your still trying to sell your garmin in 3 weeks let me know My mate is picking his new 2nd hand boat up, and I have reccommended the 525s to him. Depends on how many $ you want for it in when he could afford it. Polky.

dogsbody
02-12-2007, 05:39 PM
FNQ take a look at #############.com might be cheaper than fishon.

Dave.

marco
02-12-2007, 05:43 PM
FNQ take a look at #############.com might be cheaper than fishon.

Dave.

i brought from ############# a while ago with no problems untill i needed warranty and then they were out of business for a while , probably someone i would be careful of .

Spaniard_King
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Marco,

As with most retailers the warranty is held with the manufacturer.

dogsbody
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
i brought from ############# a while ago with no problems untill i needed warranty and then they were out of business for a while , probably someone i would be careful of .

Marco how long ago was this?

Did everything work out in the end?

Dave.

Wahoo
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I better clarify that a bit more I sup[pose. I am looking for a bigger screen than my 525.. let me know if your interested.

Hi Gary
any reason not going with the 4212? :-/

Daz

Wahoo
02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks and cheers fnq

good unit Scott, you will be stoked with it, bet ya cant wait eh

Daz

notsa
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Try Scuba Steve for Garmin 525 very good price.

FNQCairns
03-12-2007, 01:36 PM
good unit Scott, you will be stoked with it, bet ya cant wait eh

Daz

Yeah Daz, now I have decided, I want it like yesterday;D.

Thanks fellas for all the replies and advice.

cheers fnq

Snapp
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
[mis read thread, forget post.:-[

PWCDad
08-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Just to add about Garmin ....

I have had a 178c Chartplotter/Sounder mounted in a very exposed spot on my PWC for over 2 yrs and around 300 motor hrs.

It has performed faultlessly to date.

My wife and I regularly do very long rides (she has her own PWC) of around 150-170 kilometres ..anywhere from out the Southport Seaway to as far as Tangas ... or a regular run from Broadie to Peel, or Amity.

Cant be without it now .... I went Navman in the boat and whilst it hasnt had a problem its not a patch on the Garmin .... the old saying comes to the fore ...

You get what you pay for ... I suppose.

See pics for the harshest test of a plotter ...just where it is mounted .... I've gone through a wave and it survived !!

Regards
PWCDad