PDA

View Full Version : Optimax compressor - help!

Thebuffalo
26-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Just replaced the air compressor on one of my 175 opti's after it self destructed.

Everything went together fine however when I finished the installation I couldn't get the oil up to it via the inlet hose.

Just for information, there are three oil lines to the compressor, one of which is the inlet which comes from the oil pump at the bottom of the power head at the front of the block.

The top line is the supply / in and the bottom two are the return lines.

Information that I have is the oil flow in is only a trickle as the main cooling is via the water flow through the compressor etc. I can't even get a trickle out of it.

I have tried priming the lines with oil, running the motor and trickling oil into the compressor whilst waiting for the oil to come through, still nothing.

Spoke with a dealer who stated that this was the best way to prime the oil pump etc. I have checked the other motor and it doesn't have any oil comming through it's supply line to the compressor either. I have got the right lines sorted by the way.

The question is (finally), do any of you guys know if the motor has to be under load and the revs right up to get the oil flowing to the pump?

I am concerned that if I try taking it for a run and there is no oil going into the compressor then $$$$$ will be wasted.

Any help will be appreciated.

merc mech
26-11-2007, 11:48 PM
sorry to tell you but if you have run the motor with out priming theoil to the compressor with a ddt then you may have allready damaged it. it must be primed before starting as they are shiped dry.priming with a ddt fills the compressor and the lines via the electronic oil pump.best a job for a reputable merc dealer.hope all goes well mate.cheers

Thebuffalo
27-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Merc Mech, did prime the pump prior to running it. No probs there.

Do you know why the oil isn't being pumped up the inlet line?

As far as the reputable merc dealers are concerned, we don't have any. I live remote and on an island to make things worse.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Cheers

Thebuffalo
27-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Solved the problem.

Found out that you can prime the oil pump without a ddt.

Won't post the fix here but you can PM me if you are in desperate need of a remedy. Don't want a floodgate of pranks that will add to some poor buggers grey hair.

merc mech
27-11-2007, 10:40 PM
good to hear u have the oil up mate the other way works fine i sugested the ddt so any fault codes could be cleared if there are any present as a result of the original problem.may be one day if you get access to a ddt. optis also benifit greatley from a mercury product called kwik clean it is an injector cleaner and can be used every second or third tank fill.one bottle does 270 litres and is very good for cleaning plugs and injectors if you are not useing opti oil or have poor quality fuel good luck hope this is helpfull

Thebuffalo
28-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Merc Mech, you must be a mind reader, I did make a query about the injectors and a possible addative to give them a clean out as there is a bit of soot in the exhausts of both motors.

As for the oil I have been using the synthetic, this is all the motors have had through them since new, figure I would keep using this dispite the extra cost.

For infor the crank was broken in half. Looks like the bearing housing has come apart causing a bit of slack, this has probably caused the crank to break. Ever heard of this before? I am waiting for the other one to die now.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate your time.