PDA

View Full Version : VHF decision

mik01
26-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi all,

after some advice please.
seems my 20 year old Uniden m615 has seen better days ::)
found out yesterday that I can hear but not transmit so maybe the mic is dead.

anyway, must be time to upgrade and I like the looks of the ICOM m422 (and after a little research on here they have a good wrap from others).

I have looked on ebay and can get it for AU$275 delivered.
Anyone know if I can do better anywhere else? Have also emailed threeriversmarine for a quote.

any good or bad points about the model I am considering?

cheers,
Mick

Fish Guts
26-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I think the icoms are one of the best units around. does this one have dsc ? good choice.

cheers

fish guts

Heath
26-11-2007, 10:12 AM
iCOM are great radios.
But at the moment the price of the GME VHF's that Sundown are advertising at, would have to make them a contender as well I reckon.

mik01
26-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I think the icoms are one of the best units around. does this one have dsc ? good choice.

cheers

fish guts

yes it does have dsc.
looking at Aus prices, my delivered price is nearly half!

marco
26-11-2007, 05:15 PM
just be careful as i was told there was some chinese knock offs of the icoms that were getting around . that price does seem a little cheap for the 422 , but maybe they have come down .

marco
26-11-2007, 05:22 PM
just had a look at the sponsors site , fishon marine and they are 167 us which is 190 aus plus freight might be around 240 delivered .

mik01
26-11-2007, 05:36 PM
just had a look at the sponsors site , fishon marine and they are 167 us which is 190 aus plus freight might be around 240 delivered .

cheers for the heads up Marco.
this is the link for the one I was going to buy - certainly looks very reputable and the seller has good feedback -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICOM-IC-M422-MARINE-VHF-RADIO-BLACK-new_W0QQitemZ220174470672QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31275Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh ok - saw the price - looks like its a goer!

mik01
26-11-2007, 05:53 PM
thats a great price mate = $239 AUD delivered for the Icom m422

:)

Almako
26-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey Mike think i met you at the radio course on sat? I went the Navman VHF 7200 and it works like a dream has DSC but i think they are a bit more expensive around $450 from memory
Al

mik01
26-11-2007, 09:19 PM
gday mate - yeah was good to meet you that day.
I was impressed with Lloyd's knowledge of radio communications - he was a great teacher! was even more impressed by the lovely Inez on my right ;D ;D - wow, what a looker! :o

if you're keen on getting out one day and catching up on the bay, give me a yell.
I'm out every weekend (weather permitting). when I get the new radio installed and get my MMSI number I'll pm it to you.

I've already ordered the Icom, but appreciate the advice. couldn't pass up the awesome price and good feedback fom others re this model.

chat to you soon,

Mick

finga
27-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Hey Mick...bung your call sign etc etc on the boating page in the Call sign thread that's sticky up the top.
All of us can see when your on the water then. :D

Did you check your aerial in regards to the radio problem??

Cheers then
Scott :)

mik01
27-11-2007, 09:10 AM
will do Scott.
not sure what to look for in relation to the aerial?
if it can receive perfectly, how would it be that it can't transmit? my only thought was the mic was cactus.

is it possible that the aerial could receive but hinder transmission? if so, I might need a new one?

finga
27-11-2007, 09:39 AM
The aerial needs to be good to get the power out.

It's hard to see visually if the aerial is good or bad.
The easiest thing to do is put a power/swr meter in the radio-aerial circuit.
If there's no power then the radio is crook. If there's lots of power getting through then the aerial is crook.
This link might be of use to explain your radio etc a bit better.
http://www.gme.net.au/support/Customer/vhf_marine.php
And click on GX552. It's the same as yours :)

Does the transmit light come on when your trying to transmit??

mik01
27-11-2007, 04:21 PM
this is my ancient 'radiotelephone' - http://www.uniden.com.au/RESOURCES_MAIN/pdfs/MC615.PDF

yes mate - the transmit light does come on.
I think the old radio could do with an upgrade anyway, however I'll check out the aerial as you said.
the radio - aerial circuit, is this the connection out of the radio to the aerial? ie - do I simply insert the meter into this connection point?

still don't understand how I can pick up transmissions (even weak ones from the gold coast) but not transmit if its only the aerial?

finga
27-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I still don't understand how I can pick up transmissions (even weak ones from the gold coast) but not transmit if its only the aerial?
Mate, very simplistically put...
Take two blokes withing yelling distance.
They can communicate without any dramas between themselves.
Now what would happen if somebody shoved some dirty socks in one of the blokes gob??
When he (sock in the job dude) tried to yell out to the other bloke a muffle would come out and the unsocked fellow would hear didly squat.
Now if the unsocked fellow yells the poor old sock in the gob dude will still hear everything.
Something similar happens to radios when one has a crook aerial :)

mik01
27-11-2007, 08:37 PM
ok Scott - so there is a send and receive portion of an aerial.
I'll test it tomorrow and see what happens. might have to chuck it I guess which is no big deal.

cheers again for your help mate

Simmo2
27-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Finga did a good analogy mate!
The antenna is the same bit of wire for send and recieve, however, if its crook and you try to transmit on it, the power gets reflected back into the radio....it goes no where. You could receive on a bit of wet string...but not transmit with any efficiency.

If the TX light comes on, one could assume the switching part of the mike is working. If people hear a carrier but no audio/voice, then perhaps the voice coil is crook in the mike. If the tx light comes on, but even someone close to you doesn't even hear a carrier, then one could assume that the 'amplifier' in the radio is crook. (This could be the sign of a crook antenna also....even over all those years!)

mik01
27-11-2007, 09:32 PM
thanks Simmo - yeah I did a test with Vickie point VMR over the mobile and they could hear a carrier but no voice/sounds. (ie - i think by carrier, you mean a click like an attempted transmission?)
I think its best to wait for my new radio to arrive and install it, and see if I can get a response. if still nothing, then a new antenna might be the go.

is this the long and short of it?

disorderly
27-11-2007, 09:33 PM
thats a great price mate = $239 AUD delivered for the Icom m422

:)

hi fella's when I put this item through the shopping cart on fishon the price was shown as $199.00 just for the unit plus delivery in US dollars?
How do you get $239 aus del?

Also wondering what antenna is best for this radio?

Scott

Almako
27-11-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah i couldn't agree more, she looked good to me too!!

I should be out this weekend if the weather is good. I haven't thought to much about where to go as yet.

mik01
27-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Scott, proceed to the next window on the shopping cart and it will give you the discounted price.

Al, the mrs is away all weekend with the girls, so I get to take the boat out all weekend;D
I'll pm you later in the week when I see what the weather is doing.

Simmo2
27-11-2007, 09:51 PM
If the antenna or assoc. cabling is faulty, then transmitting over any length of time will damage the radio.
Your best bet, is to install everything, then get someone who has a VHF power meter and test the antenna.
Please do not be fooled into that the unit works, so I wont worry about it...!!
As I said above, the antenna could have been crook from the start, and over the years, with usage, the radio has slowly self destructed, putting in a new radio, of course it will work better with new finals!! If the antenna system is flawed...timely destruction of the radio WILL happen again!

mik01
27-11-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks mate - with the money I saved on the radio, I'll get a new antenna just to be sure.
any recommendations on a good antenna? or doesn't it really matter about brands?

mik01
27-11-2007, 10:02 PM
hi fella's when I put this item through the shopping cart on fishon the price was shown as $199.00 just for the unit plus delivery in US dollars?
How do you get $239 aus del?

Also wondering what antenna is best for this radio?

Scott

Scott - seems they have changed the price overnight! I just jumped on to check the price and you are right. maybe try emailing them to ask why? huffsmarine@comcast.net - attn Pat Huffman

see my price below -
Order Details:
Code
Item
Qty
Price
Total
ICOM M422 VHF RADIO W/ HAILER
$167.99
$167.99

Sub Total:

$167.99

Tax:

$0.00

Shipping:

$43.00

Grand Total:

$210.99

marco
28-11-2007, 02:57 AM
Scott - seems they have changed the price overnight! I just jumped on to check the price and you are right. maybe try emailing them to ask why? huffsmarine@comcast.net - attn Pat Huffman

see my price below -
Order Details:
Code
Item
Qty
Price
Total
ICOM M422 VHF RADIO W/ HAILER
$167.99
$167.99

Sub Total:

$167.99

Tax:

$0.00

Shipping:

$43.00

Grand Total:

$210.99

if you cannot get a email through on that address , it is likely the spam filter is blocking it as it did for me , pm piscatory pursuit through ausfish , same guy .

polky
28-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Finga wfat a excellent way of explaining the situation Polky.

mik01
28-11-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah - the beers I owe you are stacking up Scott!

any recommendations on antenna's anyone?

Simmo2
28-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Hmm missed that question!!
Well it would have to be groundplane independant, If that is your boat in your avatar I would endeavour to get the longest antenna you can get.... (debateable subject I know!!)
These co-linear antennas work quite well and should do the job.
Why not install the radio first, then get someone to wack a meter on the existing antenna? It might be just fine?

mik01
28-11-2007, 09:19 PM
sounds like good advice Simmo. I was going to buy the longest antenna (i think 2.5m), but will wait and see if the new radio is the answer.
I spoke to Icom today to get their advice on matching antenna's and the guy was excellent support. pity he gave me a lecture for buying it offshore!:-/ I was rather impressed until that point....

Snapp
08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello Mik01,
looking at icom units myself & found this thread, how is your new unit going ?
did you look at the icom-304 ?
is the DSC function ie; up to 100 codes only on the 422 models & up.

mik01
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
hey mate - great radio - can't fault it.
the tri watch feature is pretty cool.

i don't know if the 304 has the same capacity for storage.

the 422 features are very good and worth the extra few bucks personally. there are a few other threads on this radio and even one recently you might like to read if you are considering a purchase.

bluefin59
09-01-2008, 04:28 AM
The 304 has D.S.C duel watch and tri watch also has priority and normal scan it has more features than i will ever use ........matt