PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Island

gleeeza
25-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I am in the market for some information regarding marine stingers around Northwest Island for around the 1st week of the QLD school holidays.

I have booked to camp there with some friends and my family and from what I have been reading on the national parks website there is a risk of stingers at this time of year.

I have been to musgrave at this time of the year and had I thought done my homework and do not recall any warnings about stingers. Can any body shed any light on this topic for me as I am concerned for my families safety and need to know if I need stinger suits?

Cheers

Gleeeza

zigfreed
26-11-2007, 10:11 AM
G'Day Gleeza

I was planning a trip for late Oct this year with a mate who has been there a few times but we have put it off till next year.

I asked him about stingers and apparently they are not that far offshore, tend to be found closer to the mainland. This guy does know his stuff and has fished the east coast for around 45 years now so i took his word for it.

Having said this a would still be inclined to investigate a little further if i was you. Maybe try ringing the barge operator who is taking you over there as they would have the good local knowledge.

cheers

Mick

Ian1
26-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey Gleeeza

I tend to agree that you are to far offshore there. Give GBRMPA a ring and ask them. They should be able to give you a positive answer. You need to make sure when you're out there. Their Townsville office number is 07 4750775

Cheers

Ian