PDA

View Full Version : cat comparison

bolt64
25-11-2007, 08:33 AM
im currently in the market for a used cat & am tossing up between the 5.2 & 6.2 kevlacat can anyone give me an idea on handling economy & overall performance between these 2 . ive got a mate pushing for the 5.2 as he used to have one but im a bit reluctant about the size . i wanted something about the 6m mark . any in put would be greatly appreciated. spending up to 65-70K;D

saurian
25-11-2007, 08:42 AM
bolt64, I havn't got a kc, but a cat all the same.
I think it all seems to start at about the 6m mark .
Smaller size boats are cheaper and easier to run maintain etc...
But if you can go 6m or over, the chop just seems to get smaller and smaller.
I'm sure a few guys on here will fill you in on the merits of both sizes.
Ta

mirage
25-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Bolt,
Never been on a 6.2. but I've spent a lot of time on a mates 5.2 and you'd be amazed what a huge little boat they are. I have a KC2400 (6.5) but If I didn't have a family and just wanted a pure fishing machine then I would have gone a 5.2 as well. They'll handle almost anything thrown at em and can fish 4 guys with ease, use less fuel and easier to tow around.
If the wife and kids like going out fishing and camping etc then I'd go for the larger cabin of a 6.2.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers, Scotty.

Dean1
25-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi bolt64, I have a 5.2 and absolutely love it. Ive only owned it for 4 months but i will be ownng this boat for a very long time thats for certain. I sold a 6.5m plate ally to buy this, and this boat has just as much deckspace as my old 6.5m. They are a huge 5.2m boat. These 5.2's are a truly amazing, ive been told by quite a few experienced cat owners that the 5.2's are a better allround performer than the 6.2's.Im lead to believe the tunnels are not big enogh for the length of the 6.2's. I would not swap mine for a 6.2 for several reasons, a 6.2 uses roughly 50 litres an hour, a 5.2 30 litres an hour(both using 2 strokes), the 5.2's are under 2 tonne( doesnt require breakaway brakes) are much easier to tow and manage, and the 5.2's have a better reputation. I headed home in 30knot winds, 3 metre swells last weekend and my 5.2 just lapped it up.I felt so safe. These boats are exceptional in a following sea, much better than an 18ft sharkcat( which i used to own as well 5 years ago.) A phrase used out of many magizines is ' these 5.2's are ranked as one of the all time best trailerboats put in the water in australia and by definition, in the world'. Mine is a 97model black marlin with 70hp 2 stroke yamaha's which be upgrading to possibly suzuki 70 4 strokes or maybe 60 high thrust yammie 4's later down the track. My advice to yu is go 4 a run in both a 5.2 and a 6.2, i bet you go the 5.2, you wont be dissapointed ;) Cheers Deano.

Dean1
25-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Here is a few pics of inside my 5.2. It has built in esky, livebait/storage under the seats which gives me even more room( no additional esky required) ;) I just put the rubber tube matting on the floor now its an even better deck!!

Noelm
26-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I reckon that bigger is always better, but the old 5.2 almost has a cult following (much like Seafarer)but that does not mean they are great, fantastic or anything else, but they ARE OK and even good maybe, I know a dozen owners are right now looking to hunt me down for saying that, but it is true, been in them heaps, and the 6.2 as well, both are OK, both very capable, both go OK with "modest" power, but don't get sucked into buying an underpowered outfit, but as I started out saying, BIGGER IS BETTER! except when it is on the trailer! I reckon that the 6.2 performs best with 115's (or more) and the 5.2 with 80HP or so, indeed the best one I have been in had 90HP Yamaha 2 strokes, been in a few with 70's and they are just OK, adequate, thats all,

Deiter
26-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Noelm, I think what you said there is absolutely correct............you will be hunted down!:-X;)

Noelm
26-11-2007, 12:40 PM
just putting on my hard hat and flack jacket right now!

hungry6
26-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Dean I can see one glaring fault with you cat, How the hell are you gonna fit a 1.5m plus wahoo in those esky???? :P

kozzy cobia
26-11-2007, 07:56 PM
im currently in the market for a used cat & am tossing up between the 5.2 & 6.2 kevlacat can anyone give me an idea on handling economy & overall performance between these 2 . ive got a mate pushing for the 5.2 as he used to have one but im a bit reluctant about the size . i wanted something about the 6m mark . any in put would be greatly appreciated. spending up to 65-70K;D

12 months ago i remember looking on the internet at a 2400 Ser K.C for $79,000. This would be the better rig if you can wait and spend a bit more.

kozzy cobia
26-11-2007, 08:03 PM

Look at this for $74,000
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?N=604%20606%20609%20749%20696% 20&No=105&tabID=804585

kozzy cobia
26-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Look at this for $74,000
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?N=604%20606%20609%20749%20696% 20&No=105&tabID=804585

2100 Series K.C for $74,900

freddofrog
27-11-2007, 08:45 AM
My 5.2m KC came with 90hp yammies which is kinda cool having 180hp for a 5.2m tub but in reality I don't think it's really justified, just expensive to run :(

Note that there are different KC models around. Mine is a 1994 Pro Sport which comes standard with live bait tank and a huge kill tank. In the photo the kill tank is under that feral green and yellow lid.If you compare mines and Dean's, his obviously has a lot more deck space as the kill tank does take up a fair bit of room.

I find fishing 2 guys is really comfortable. Haven't tried any more than that but I'd say 4 is getting very crowded. Having said that, we mainly drift fish so everyone is basically on one side. If we did anchor up then 4 shouldn't be a problem.

If you read the literature, the 5.2m always has rave reviews and a cultish following. Don't get that with the 6.0m, not sure why though.

cya
ff

Dean1
27-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I reckon that bigger is always better, but the old 5.2 almost has a cult following (much like Seafarer)but that does not mean they are great, fantastic or anything else, but they ARE OK and even good maybe, I know a dozen owners are right now looking to hunt me down for saying that, but it is true, been in them heaps, and the 6.2 as well, both are OK, both very capable, both go OK with "modest" power, but don't get sucked into buying an underpowered outfit, but as I started out saying, BIGGER IS BETTER! except when it is on the trailer! I reckon that the 6.2 performs best with 115's (or more) and the 5.2 with 80HP or so, indeed the best one I have been in had 90HP Yamaha 2 strokes, been in a few with 70's and they are just OK, adequate, thats all, Noelm I know the 5.2's have a cult following as they are proven boats but i wouldnt say the same about seafarer, i owned one and didnt think much of it. I think 70's are ample, i get 34kts WOT and cruise on 27kts. Im sure thats enough, and once you learn how to drive them properly you can get around in the high 20 knots in most seas without having to back off unlike in monos. You have a rebelcat dont you, i know there dogs in a following sea and thats a FACT ;D Well myself and many others think these boats are more than OK. So what sorta boats are considered more than OK to you Noelm???

saurian
27-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Noelm, Hope the jacket and helmet are done up tight lol...........
Ta

snelly1971
27-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Noelm I know the 5.2's have a cult following as they are proven boats but i wouldnt say the same about seafarer, i owned one and didnt think much of it. I think 70's are ample, i get 34kts WOT and cruise on 27kts. Im sure thats enough, and once you learn how to drive them properly you can get around in the high 20 knots in most seas without having to back off unlike in monos. You have a rebelcat dont you, i know there dogs in a following sea and thats a FACT ;D Well myself and many others think these boats are more than OK. So what sorta boats are considered more than OK to you Noelm???

Noelm loves big big Tri Hulls Dean...

Stop kidding yourself Dean.....5.2 cats belong in the bath tub....probably the safest place to be in one....

It is about time you brought your little pussy down south and put it through some real weather....It is easy to say they are great sea boats...when you are travelling around on flat oceans all the time...:P:P:P

Mick

Noelm
28-11-2007, 07:32 AM
had all sorts of Cats over the years (including an Alloy one) and I do own a Rebel cat at the moment, not too sure where you got your info on the follwing sea business, but unlike most, I do not think what I have is the only Boat in the universe, I tell it like it is! The Rebel has some pluses and some minus's as most Boats do, not only owned a few different brands, but have worked out of a few as well, so I have been around them for a very long time, and mono's before that, and I would NEVER consider a triHull, been in two, that was enough for me, but if someone has one and likes it, good for them, we are all different and that's a good thing (I reckon) but I can take "hard knocks" from posters, and I love to dish it out as well! but I always like to tell my experience if possible without bias on what I own, end of story!

Thebuffalo
28-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I have a 7.5 m Saillfish and a 20ft Bertram and I love em both. Must be Tasmainian hey :-)

I think at the end of the day each has it's own benefits. I love the cat because it eats any weather for breakfast (within reason) but you have to drive it.

The Bertram gives me peace of mind in any weather also but you don't have do be so precise when driving it. I feel more relaxd in the Bertram and can let the mond wander a bit. (I'm talking rough weather scenario's here)

At the end of the day I feel safe in both boats, this goes a long way to anyones choice of vessels I think.

Snelly, I would like you to come up north and try out this short chop, probably be as interesting for you as I would find the big stuff. I would be interested to know what spacing is between each swell line, does it vary? Ours is pretty close, you don't drop down into is as much as you smash into the next one.

The weathers better up here though.

saurian
28-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Buffalo, I agree with trying out the different seas....
It's a bit like comparing a roller coaster with constant surf lol......
Ta

snelly1971
28-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I have a 7.5 m Saillfish and a 20ft Bertram and I love em both. Must be Tasmainian hey :-)

I think at the end of the day each has it's own benefits. I love the cat because it eats any weather for breakfast (within reason) but you have to drive it.

The Bertram gives me peace of mind in any weather also but you don't have do be so precise when driving it. I feel more relaxd in the Bertram and can let the mond wander a bit. (I'm talking rough weather scenario's here)

At the end of the day I feel safe in both boats, this goes a long way to anyones choice of vessels I think.

Snelly, I would like you to come up north and try out this short chop, probably be as interesting for you as I would find the big stuff. I would be interested to know what spacing is between each swell line, does it vary? Ours is pretty close, you don't drop down into is as much as you smash into the next one.

The weathers better up here though.

From what i can gather....Your short chop would be similar to what is up in the north of Tassie....Short and sharp...with little space between each wave....where as we get on average...

3 meters swell....average 8 to 12 seconds....

What most people get confused with is ...swell and wind chop are very different...

Eg....3 meter swell....1.5 meter chop....

We have fished days when it has been 6.5 + meter swells with little or no chop....Now .if you told someone that you was out fishing in 6 meters seas then they would call you a bloody idiot....But some of those days have been very safe and comfortable....where as....2 meter swell with a 1.5 meter chop and 20 knots can be bloody scary...

So to answer your question...Yes i have fished up north in Tassie...with its short chop on some nasty days ...especially with the tide going in the opposite direction to the seas and , Yes it is uncomfortable.....but i have never felt unsafe...Just use the horsepower and get on top of it....

We live in to different worlds....West coast of tassie ...isnt called the roaring forties ...for no reason....

I have been in alot of cats....Yes they are a great sea boat....But ....in my opinion....they are just too unforgiving....Unless you are a really experienced operator...then they can be dangerous in the wrong hands...

Where as a Tri Hull or decent mono can be driven a bit more care free...
I will probably cop some flack for this statement.....but i enjoy fishing so much more now....Just jamb the throttle on my Tri Hull to 20 knots...and sit back...and relax....I dont have to worry so much at which angle i punch or follow waves...

Mick

snelly1971
28-11-2007, 09:56 PM
had all sorts of Cats over the years (including an Alloy one) and I do own a Rebel cat at the moment, not too sure where you got your info on the follwing sea business, but unlike most, I do not think what I have is the only Boat in the universe, I tell it like it is! The Rebel has some pluses and some minus's as most Boats do, not only owned a few different brands, but have worked out of a few as well, so I have been around them for a very long time, and mono's before that, and I would NEVER consider a triHull, been in two, that was enough for me, but if someone has one and likes it, good for them, we are all different and that's a good thing (I reckon) but I can take "hard knocks" from posters, and I love to dish it out as well! but I always like to tell my experience if possible without bias on what I own, end of story!

What brand of Tri hull did you ride in Noel...

You cant compare them as one...I have been in some 23 foot cats they smack your teeth out where as most are probably the best riding boats around...

Mick

Ps...My last trip fishing...I took an Ab diving buddy who has been in the game for 10 odd years...He reckons that my boat is the most Stable and confortable riding he has been in...and they have owned 23 foot cats up to his now 28 Noosa cat..It my not fly along doing 40 odd knots ....but at 20 knots you can sit down...drink you coffee and relax....

Vitamin Sea
28-11-2007, 10:31 PM
What brand of Tri hull did you ride in Noel...

You cant compare them as one...I have been in some 23 foot cats they smack your teeth out where as most are probably the best riding boats around...

Mick

Ps...My last trip fishing...I took an Ab diving buddy who has been in the game for 10 odd years...He reckons that my boat is the most Stable and confortable riding he has been in...and they have owned 23 foot cats up to his now 28 Noosa cat..It my not fly along doing 40 odd knots ....but at 20 knots you can sit down...drink you coffee and relax....

Sounds like a 19C Mick;D ;D ;D ;D

All boats have their own weakness's and strengths, you have a great boat, as does Noel, maybe even Deano;D

Take it easy

Bill

Noelm
29-11-2007, 08:00 AM
snelly, I have been in a 6 metre (I think) stessel Tri, and a bigger unknown brand (about 25') both were sort of OK, but certainly not anything I would own, the Stessel ended up cracked and full of water a short while later!

Noelm
29-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I forgot, on the Alloy one, I doubt that I would own another one of those either, even though it went well, the amount of times I had it welded up p!ssed me off no end, I also had a mate with a very well know brand of Aluminium Cat that had the entire front tunnel section replaced twice under warranty, he sold it very soon after the second time!

snelly1971
29-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I forgot, on the Alloy one, I doubt that I would own another one of those either, even though it went well, the amount of times I had it welded up p!ssed me off no end, I also had a mate with a very well know brand of Aluminium Cat that had the entire front tunnel section replaced twice under warranty, he sold it very soon after the second time!

Gee Noelm....I cant see how you can compare a Stessl 6 meter alloy tri hull which would weight in at about 700 Kg...to a Glass one ...like mine which weighs in around the 4 to 41/2 ton....

Mick

insideout
29-11-2007, 11:38 AM
gday snelly,
interested to know , what breed of boat is popular to use in a area such as yours, with the lumpy stuff??/ what breed of cat have you got?

Noelm
29-11-2007, 11:45 AM
that's true snelly, but the 25' one was big and heavy, but I reckon it was about 1/4 as good as the same sized Cat, but still better than a Mono, sort of a compromise I guess, but still not my cup of tea!!, for that size I would probably go for a Mono, but then again, it would want to be a good one to convince me to go back again!! been in enough Bertrams and the like to know how they go, and I reckon that ANYTHING on a trailer would have to be a Cat, and then after that,( moored) I would not own anything smaller than about 12metres! so in reality any of the 25 to 30 footers are out for me anyway!

Noelm
29-11-2007, 11:47 AM
hey by Alloy one, I meant I owned an Aluminium Cat, not a tri hull, the two tris I have been in where someone elses! and the one I know of that had the warranty repairs was also a Cat! I re-read what I had written and it seemed somehow like I owned a trihull! but I never have.

snelly1971
29-11-2007, 03:01 PM
gday snelly,
interested to know , what breed of boat is popular to use in a area such as yours, with the lumpy stuff??/ what breed of cat have you got?

Mine is not a cat but a tri..hull

Shark cats are very popular here as are Edencraft..Then it steps down to the bigger plate boats made by Tri Star Marine...they are very good...just not in the class as the above..

Then you have the Quinnies...Stacers...ect but they never seem to last long...I have seen a Stacer spilt from one end to the other within 3 months off being new....They just dont seem to like being pouinded too much

Mick

termi
29-11-2007, 09:12 PM
The 5.2 kc have a cult following because they are one hell of a boat for their size and if they wern't as good as they are, people would be bagging the hell out of them. As far as seafarers having a cult following i'm not so sure about that. I just sold a 6.2 vagabond which i owned for 5 months to get into a 5.2 kc and can only say that this boat will be with me for a very long time. Go the 5.2 kc.

Noelm
30-11-2007, 07:49 AM
hhmm so you reckon that Seafarer does not have a cult following, then do a few searches regarding Vikings, or even dare post something bad (yet truthfull) and see how you go! and while I agree the 5.2 is OK, it is not the be all to end all, they are capable, reasonably well fitted out, ride OK, but do have some "features" that I do not rate too highly, but as a compromise, it is hard to go past Kevlacats, for "what you get for your money" they are not too cheap, but not too bad!

Dean1
30-11-2007, 06:12 PM
From what i can gather....Your short chop would be similar to what is up in the north of Tassie....Short and sharp...with little space between each wave....where as we get on average...

3 meters swell....average 8 to 12 seconds....

What most people get confused with is ...swell and wind chop are very different...

Eg....3 meter swell....1.5 meter chop....

We have fished days when it has been 6.5 + meter swells with little or no chop....Now .if you told someone that you was out fishing in 6 meters seas then they would call you a bloody idiot....But some of those days have been very safe and comfortable....where as....2 meter swell with a 1.5 meter chop and 20 knots can be bloody scary...

So to answer your question...Yes i have fished up north in Tassie...with its short chop on some nasty days ...especially with the tide going in the opposite direction to the seas and , Yes it is uncomfortable.....but i have never felt unsafe...Just use the horsepower and get on top of it....

We live in to different worlds....West coast of tassie ...isnt called the roaring forties ...for no reason....

I have been in alot of cats....Yes they are a great sea boat....But ....in my opinion....they are just too unforgiving....Unless you are a really experienced operator...then they can be dangerous in the wrong hands...

Where as a Tri Hull or decent mono can be driven a bit more care free...
I will probably cop some flack for this statement.....but i enjoy fishing so much more now....Just jamb the throttle on my Tri Hull to 20 knots...and sit back...and relax....I dont have to worry so much at which angle i punch or follow waves...

Mick Hey g'day Mick i thought u might pop your head up! So your saying that 2 metre swells with1.5m chop and 20kts is scary, now the truths comin out!!!!!!! Thats what ive been getting out in lately and ive never felt scared :-/ Actually 20kts-30kts with bigger swells and chop more like it, those trihulls are all the same, but t least you can travel fast 20kts ??????:-/ :-/ :-/ Just face it Mick cats rule!!!!!!!! ;D :P ;D :P

snelly1971
30-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey g'day Mick i thought u might pop your head up! So your saying that 2 metre swells with1.5m chop and 20kts is scary, now the truths comin out!!!!!!! Thats what ive been getting out in lately and ive never felt scared :-/ Actually 20kts-30kts with bigger swells and chop more like it, those trihulls are all the same, but t least you can travel fast 20kts ??????:-/ :-/ :-/ Just face it Mick cats rule!!!!!!!! ;D :P ;D :P

Hmmmm...No...It is not scary to me...but in the wrong boat it could be...

Take your little pussy out in a 5 meter swell and 2 meter slop and see how good it is....

Mick