PDA

View Full Version : new boat

pipgrok
24-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi, any advice would be much appreciated!..have read these forums for the last few days but still have heaps of questions...buying my first boat

looking at buying a 2nd hand boat for around 8000, can spend up to about 12 but prefer not to.

boat is mainly for leisure/fishing, something that will fit about 4 people, but i also do a bit of diving and would love to be able to use the boat for this too. Can anyone advise what type of boats are suitbale for diving for a low budget?

was thinking about looking for just a hull and buying a new motor, not sure if a 2nd hand motor is the way to go..

thought the quintrex 420 explorer trophy or the 400 hornet trophy looked alright..but dont know very much about quintrex or other brands of boats..is a centre console the way to go? or is there a cheaper option?

any comments would be much appreciated!
THanks!

vector
24-11-2007, 09:08 PM
where are you located?, i doubt the two you mentioned would be suited for diving as there flat bottoms, if it were me id be getting the biggest tiller steer tinny i could find, should be able to gwt 4.2-4.4m boat for 8k, 12 will get you a mmuch better boat but were do you draw the line?

pipgrok
24-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply

im in sydney...still working out my finances..dont want to commit too much as this is my first boat and want to see how much i will use etc...i would proabbly cap it off at 12...if there was something i really liked the look of i would push it a little further but like i said earlier ideally im looking at spending 8-10..any recommendatioins?

Rod Fishing
25-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Mate find a an open tinny about 4-4.5m with a tiller steer ask for a water test you should be able to tell if it is a decent engine from the water test.

Just make sure that you have somewhere to display the alpha flag.

A decent open tinny will provide you with the deeper sides and you shouldnt have to much trouble getting back into it.

Rod....

Vindicator
25-11-2007, 06:40 AM
I agree with Rod. Get an open tinnie and then see how much you're giong to use it. If your diving in it, you're not going to need all the extras that go along with fishing, so get something basic but in good nick and then you can always upgrade later.

Cheers
Kezza

trev1
25-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Quintrex 4.2 dories go for around 7500-8000 NEW which would still allow a little for steps over the back to climb back in after a dive.

pipgrok
25-11-2007, 03:45 PM
yeah, am buying the boat with a mate, he is a keen fisher and is looking for something that allows him to move around a bit more, me im 50/50 between fishing and diving so thats were the problem lies...he wants something more towards the hornet range with a bit of storage and more room to move around while hes fishing...think ill be spending atleast 10 000 now..so for diving i need something big basically? havnt dived off a tinnie before just charter boats..why isnt a flat bottom boat not suitable for diving?

Cheers

Timmy94
25-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Because they dont cut through the chop and u will get absolutley drenched they are designed for creeks rivers and dams and not much else inshore bay work.