PDA

View Full Version : Startermotor replacement ?

Knotpretty
22-11-2007, 11:04 AM
My starter on a 82 60 hp Johono has died quoted $500 to replace. Any cheaper options available all advice welcome.

Roughasguts
22-11-2007, 11:34 AM
If I had a busted starter motor, think I would go to the nearest Auto electrition and see if they could do a re-build.

My last rebuild for a car I must admit was $130.00

Rewinding is no problem, and grinding down other brushes to suit the old starter motor shouldn't be an issue either for a competant Leccy.

Knotpretty
22-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Roughasguts the problems not just a rewind or brushes. It has to do with the bush that engages the gear. I've been told parts no longer available to repair old one. Have to buy later model replacement.

Noelm
22-11-2007, 12:43 PM
if it is just a bush/bearing, then it will be a breeze to get one machined up for you, failing that a second hand one should be pretty easy to get.

finga
22-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Should be easy to repair.
You just have to know where to get the rebuild kits and OMC shouldn't be a problem as I got one for my dads Evindude easy enough and it was older.
They come with brushes and bushes as needed.
Those throw out gismos are available too. A lot harder to find but still available and I may have one under the house

Where are you Mojo as I may be of service to repair or at least to have a second opinion.
:)

ozbee
22-11-2007, 02:09 PM
outboard wreckers will have dozens of them . cheers