PDA

View Full Version : Broken winch cable

disorderly
21-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I was just doing up my "pre fishing list"http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif and remembered that I had broken my winch cable last trip.
So I guess I will cut the couple of foot of rusty cable off and reattach it.

What is the best clamp for this?
Is there one that i can just bolt on?

scott

FrankFWM
21-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi there,

I would advise against that.

A Steel cable that breaks under stain on a winch is very dangerous... they often can whip back from the boat towards the winch when they break and there is a big risk it can hurt someone or damage property such as the car.

I would definitely look at replacement(they aren't expensive) and look at using a winch strap instead or the nylon type which apparently don't do that.

Frank

disorderly
22-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Good point Frank.
When the cable snapped it did so with a bang and it had me pulling metal shrapnel out of my hand and wrist where it hit me.
I hadnt really noticed prior to this that the first couple of feet had become quite rusted but I thought if I cut the cable back to where it is not rusty and reattached it would be OK.
However I think I'll take your advice and I will look into a replacement tomorrow.

Scott

frankgrimes
22-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Scott,

I recently broke my winch cable also - Was going to get it re-crimped, but after a bit of research decided on Spectra rope.....heaps easier to handle and no "pointy" bits to spike you!

Looks the goods....although I haven't launched the boat with it yet!!

KAGEY1
22-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Go With Franks Suggestion. The Spectra Is Great Stuff. You Won;t Touch It For Donkey's Years
Cheers, Geoff

disorderly
22-11-2007, 11:02 AM
thanks fellas,

Just rang the boat shop and they stock a polyethalene UV treated rope called Steadfast with a hook spliced onto it.
I'm guessing this is similar to what you guys are recommending ?
How do you attach it to the winch spool?(the boat shop guy had no ideahttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif)

scott

Eagle
22-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Attach the Steadfast rope to the winch drum with the same knot that you use when attaching new line onto your fishing reel. Have enough rope so there is at least 8 or more turns (wraps) on the drum when the rope is at desired maximum reach when in use. I bought some mountain climbing rope for my winch and it has been fabulous to use. Some of the blokes on this site have criticised the use of this rope but it has been in use now for over two years, it only cost $18.00. When using any synthetic rope, make sure it doesn't get caught on a sharp part of the trailer, eg, the bolts that hold the rollers. The rope can be cut very easy on these projections.

The rope can also be attached by passing the end thru the hole in the side of the drum where the steel cable was fastened. Tie a fig.8 knot as a stopper and with 8 turns on the drum, you're away. Make sure that the stopper knot doesn't foul on the winch frame or other parts.

Joe