PDA

View Full Version : Screen Res Etc.

imported_QCR
21-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi

Can someone answer these questions.

Im looking at buying one of the latest Garmin plotters. One has a 240 x 320 screens res and a QVGA screen, the other a 480 x 640 screen res and a VGA screen.

Q. Is there much noticable difference in these two resolutions ( considering the price difference) and what is the meaning and difference between QVGA and VGA screens.

Both use the new G2 Vision Cards

Thanks

Terry

Piscatory Pursuit
22-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Hi Terry. Yes there is a difference and you will see it, but you have to consider that 240x320 pixels is pretty good and 480x640 is 4 times better. It's kind of like the difference between TV and HDTV. QVGA just means Quarter Video Graphics Array which means the pixels are one quarter of a full Video Graphics Array or VGA. The maximum number of pixels for VGA is 480x640.

I wouldn't get too caught up in pixels, especially on a plotter. I have used the high resolution sounders and frankly I will take my lower resolution Furuno over the Hi Res sounders any day. I also think Garmin charges way too much for their high res displays but that is my opinion. I am sure others will take me to task on that. Take a look at the GPSMAP 520. It is a 5inch QVGA display and a really nice plotter that uses the Visions cards which are sweet by the way!

Good Luck

ScubaSteve_US
22-11-2007, 09:12 AM
There is a very big difference between the models with the new VGA screens and the QVGA screens. The models like the 545 and 525 are very sharp. Now this doesn't make the others bad they are as good as the prior model year 498. If you are interested in some of the features including on the G2 Vision Cards then go for the higher resolution. As far as chartplotters go either is good and Garmin has the most user friendly plotters. For Australia I would go with the 525 and a G2 Vision card if you want the the sharpest screen of the 520 for a little lower resolution. With the new things like photo images being put on the map software they are definitely going to look better on the 525 higher resolution units.

I would agree with PisPur when it comes to fishfinders on video display is less important, on the fishfinders it is better to have the best processing software available in the unit. Right now Furuno and Raymarine are tops in fishfinders with Garmin closing at third and then you have all the rest.

Neil - Scuba Steve's Marine

imported_QCR
22-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies,

I'm thinking I will probably buy the Garmin 525s,

I would like separate units but at this point there are other more important things in this project that need the money so a compromise has to be made in the interim.

Thanks again

Terry

Dr Squid
22-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I would say it depends on the physical size of the screen. if they're the same physical size or similar, VGA will look better than QVGA, more pixels in the same size screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel

For a plotter, more pixels will generaly look better, but sounders are a different kettle of fish

what is the meaning and difference between QVGA and VGA screens.The term VGA refers either to an analog computer display standard, the 15-pin D-subminiature VGA connector, or the 640×480 resolution itself( which is what we're talking about here).

Half the width (640) you get 320. half the height (480) you get 240. which equals 1/4 of the total area of a 630x480 screen ie Q(quarter)VGA

l___________l

If any of that makes sence ::)

imported_QCR
23-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks again Guys

I have a much better understanding now as would others who have read this post

Terry