PDA

View Full Version : How far is too long?

FNQCairns
21-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Was wondering just how far is too long? Been doing some measuring of potential fishing spots I would like to try, some are a bit over 50km straight line, so thats around an hour 10min in perfect conditions for my boat, it's sort of turned me off the thought of commuting that far for a fish, I must be turning into a skirt in my older age:-[

What is regular for you blokes,

and where do you draw the (time) line for a day trip??

Cheers fnq

just_cruisin
21-11-2007, 04:51 PM
FNQ,
Yorkeys to Linden bank = 65km
Yorkeys to Batt = 50km
Yorkeys to Oyster = 28km
Inlet to Sudbury = upper 40's

We can usually cruise at 35-40 knots on a good day, cutting travelling times down.

How far is too long? not sure! what is your average trip at the moment?

What sort of boat are you in?
How rough is it?
What is the forecast?
How much time have you got on your hands?
hmmm, where are the fish?

finga
21-11-2007, 04:57 PM
It's amasing how far you go just cruising around having a gander at different spots.
Common for me to do 30-50km just cruisin' around the Pin for the day in the tiny tinny

Guido
21-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey FNQ, here around Townsville where I go fishing the reef is 40 mile out (70km). Because we mostly leave from the creek in Ayr we have to be very wary of the tides and tend to leave for reef trips at night and return late arvo. Otherwise day trips are left for the shoals 12 mile out.

It's a long way to travel I know and only left for awesome weather. I've done the hour and half journey countless times in as small as 5m centre consoles. Nearlly always certain to see other boats out there or travel with another boat. Nothing beats the reef for fishing.

Guido

Rod Fishing
21-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Mate 50 km isnt really that far leave early and return after lunch. Makes for a good days fishing and your home at a reasonable hour to keep the missus happy.

Cheers Rod....

FNQCairns
21-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok thanks for the replies, looks like I am being a bit of a skirt, years ago the time traveling didn't bother me much, today I find myself looking for excuses to do smaller trips, guess I better suck it in:(

You fella's do some big distances!! (time traveling) except for you just cruising what is that missile you own?? looks like a bit of Florida on my doorstep:)

cheers fnq

disorderly
21-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Where's your spirit of adventure,FNQ?
Nothing matches a 3 hour 50km trip straight into a nasty steep swell.
Just ask my missus,she's had to wait on me while I've been unable to move from back problems for days afterwards.
I thought I was smart enough to avoid such trips anymore but the last one was similar.So with age, wisdom has not come.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

So with the edge of the shelf being around 70-80km's out,on a rare good day anywhere inside that is feasible but when the weather is nasty any distance is a chore.
50 km"s is the minimum distance I usually travel to the reef but I also wonder how many fish I am driving over?

Scott

finding_time
21-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Fnq

I always try to fish places that most other dont! So MOST times this means traveling futher than the masses are prepared to do! Would i travel say 100km's to a fishing spot? To right if i though that it would produce some good fish, i always find that it's the clean up after the days fishing that i find draining and this doesn't get any easier if i only travel 20km's to the grounds! Maybe lest fish to fillet though!

Ian

Steven78
21-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Gday, What type of boat and how much fuel can you carry and KM's per Litre.
Many Thanks Steve. I would allow about 2/5 just in case

Tassie JR
21-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Our usual trip is 48 km out but sometimes we travel 60-65 km, usually sit on 45-50 km the whole trip out and back. We usually stay out all day and get back to the ramp at around 4:00 PM most off the times earlier when we bag out on fish.;)

cheers tassie JR

Wahoo
21-11-2007, 07:55 PM
hi Scott
Finding time hit the nail on the head, on a good day there are way to many boats around the first reefs, most of these areas are fished out, venture north a little ( north of Batt ) and sneak a little east ;D, this weekend is looking good ;D,

Daz

Simmo2
21-11-2007, 08:07 PM
It takes me about an hour or so to get to Pixie, (~35km/hr) then mucking around from there takes an average trip to around 80k's (according to the gps).
Many a big boat passes me flat out!!!

jigsnreels
21-11-2007, 08:51 PM
One thing I do appreciate about Tassie, when I read threads like this is that the shelf is only about 15kms out;D;D

FNQCairns
22-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks again for the replies, the boat is a 6m pressed tinny with a 90hp, range is 160km at an easy cruise from 85l.

Scott look after those bones mate, they are the only ones you got!

Ok have adjusted my too long to travel in good weather from 1 to 1.5 hours:)

Got lot's of spots to checkout now!!

Thanks fnq

revs57
22-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi Scott,

we did a 170 klm round trip yesterday,

Could be acking up for a 190 trip tomorrow if the weather is o.k

The closer marks cop such a hammering I continue to look to developing grounds I would never have considered years ago. I guess thats where technology hasd brought us to. Engine reliability and economy and good electronics means the recreational fisho now has greater opportunity to go much further.

And I guess that's where inexperience can bring the unwary down. With greater capacity also comes greater responsibility

Cheers

rhys

STUIE63
22-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Scott I normally travel 50-70km out the fishing is normally better the further out and you see less boats the closer in places get hammered
Stuie

FNQCairns
22-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks again for the replies, Rhy's hope the weather suits you down to the ground tomorrow, to do 190km it had better!!

Stuie seems like a common theme the fish being less spooked out further, 70km one way is a solid journey!

cheers fnq

blaze
22-11-2007, 10:19 PM
did a 80km return trip the other day for nothing more than a bit of bait, anchored up in the mouth of the river on the way home (5km from ramp) to catch a nice gummy and a couple of flatties of 450mm, a good feed. Often we drive over the best fish
cheers
blaze

snelly1971
22-11-2007, 10:39 PM
One thing I do appreciate about Tassie, when I read threads like this is that the shelf is only about 15kms out;D;D

Depends which side of Tassie you are on Jigs...18 nm is the closest on the west coast...our average trip would be around the 100 nm...just done a trip up to the pieman head and return...140 nm...

Mick

STUIE63
23-11-2007, 08:24 AM
FNQ I should probably explain that a bit better I go 50 or so if the weather is a bit bumpy if it is glassed out I go the 70 . 1 1/2 hours at 25 knots . you've got to remember the reef is 45k at its closest down here and that is from lucinda from townsville it is 80 k
Stuie

Thebuffalo
23-11-2007, 12:33 PM
The boat makes a big difference I find. We still do big k's around here, this place has some of the best sport and rec fishing around with good stuff in close. We get good mac's 1 NM from the ramp.

I think the boat ride is what I enjoy the most.

ET from over your way is here now and people are paying thousands a day to fish this area.

FNQ I think you have to do the k's to get the good ones over where you blokes are, you have a lot of people competing for the fish. Interesting topic though, I think one point is we are all searching for our fish, I think it is the adventurous spirit in most cases. An excuse to get away for the day and the like.