PDA

View Full Version : Removing prop off 135HP Merc

fender22
20-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi, trying to remove the prop from my 87 Merc 135HP and proving a bit more difficult than I thought! I can't even seem to loosen the nut!

Firstly, I assume it's a standard right hand thread and I'm trying to undo it the right way?

Seems very hard to hold the prop while undoing the nut. Have given the spanner a few gentle taps with the hammer to try and free it but not having a lot of luck. It has some sort of lock washer behind it but it doesn't look like it stops the nut from undoing? Is there a knack to hold the prop from spinning to get some purchase or should I put it in gear to stop it spinning?

ANy help appreciated.

Spaniard_King
20-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Jam an appropriate peice of timber between the prop and the underside of the gearbox.

Look care fully at the tab washer.. the tabs might be bent away from the nut not towards it:)

trueblue
20-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Once it comes off, make sure that it is taken off at least once per year and the spline etc greased - they can otherwise seize on and I have seen them have to be cut off with an angle grinder - $1000 screw up for not applying grease when fitting the prop.

cheers

Mick