PDA

View Full Version : What fish finder to get?

bay local
19-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi, I'm looking at updating to a newer one and wondering what would the best one for around $500. I've seen a few colour one's for that price or would I be better off just getting black and white. I only have an eagle at the moment $200 cheapie. Would I notice a big difference with a newer one?
Thanks.

bayfisher
19-11-2007, 07:19 PM
By far and away the best sounder for that sort of money is a imported raymarine ds500x (though its probably more like $600). This sounder is as good if not better then some sounder double this price, if you do a search you will find quiet a few threads about it.

Cheers Chris

finga
19-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Have a gander at the Furuno LS4100.
Decent honest sounder for under the magic $500 mark in Aussie.

haggis
23-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I have an eagle cuda 128 bought it two years ago . never seen any fish on it but I bought it for depth & contours . Have just bought a hummingbird 727 from sundown marine for $585.00 and are fitting it up over the weekend when time allows . hoping that I can now find fish and catch the bloody things ........
haggis .....................

finga
24-11-2007, 06:26 AM
I have an eagle cuda 128 bought it two years ago . never seen any fish on it but I bought it for depth & contours . Have just bought a hummingbird 727 from sundown marine for $585.00 and are fitting it up over the weekend when time allows . hoping that I can now find fish and catch the bloody things ........
haggis .....................
Hey Haggis!!
Did you get the side scan transducer (i think it's called)??
That'll get your contours real well.
They don't tell you about it until it's too late.
Look in demo mode at it.

boombah
24-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I bought a sounder 12 months ago and decided to go with LCD as i could get better resolution for my money....it would have been nice to have owned a colour sounder but i am happy with the hummingbird as it has great resolution with a 640 x 640 pixel count which i wouldnt get out of a colour for the same price....

BarraSteve
24-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I've always owned commercial quality gear (like Simrad)..

At the beginning of this year I needed a newie and was talked into a Raymarine A65 combo ...it was a helluvalot cheaper,but bloody hell,the sounder quality is superb !!

My advice to blokes up here is to get the best you can afford...I'd be annoyed with the limitations of a cheapie..

BarraSteve..