PDA

View Full Version : Possible Transducer Locations

wokket
18-11-2007, 03:33 PM
G'day Guys,

I've ordered my new Furuno 620 from Steve at QOME, but now I get play 'Place the Transducer"...

Here's a pic of the back of the old girl (Haines 540SC), with my current thinking circled.

http://wokket.net/pikkys/transducer.jpg

All the wiring runs up the starboard side, so the transducer cable will run up the port side... this is leaning me towards a port-side transducer install (A or B) for simplicity/cable length/neatness.

Do you guys reckon I'd be better off sitting it over the 'step' (A or D) where the hull is flat, or keep it on the angle (B/C) where it's at least straight/no steps.

EDIT: Looking further up the hull, there are strakes almost exactly in line with B and C... I can see me being forced to go for a fish ;) and have a look over the back.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim

Rodman
18-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Mate I believe that A or D are not ideAL as there will be a disturbance from the rib line.
May be I wrong but I firmly believe that you transducer needs to be in undisturbed water?

Regards

Ken

seamonkey
18-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Tricky one..been reading up on this of late.

Furuno recommended the older square transducers be mounted right on the step (D). This was probably because being square you could engineer a nice smooth flow line here as oposed to being on the angle part of the hull.

But:

Airmar who make the transducer you will be getting recommend mounting as close to the centreline as possible, allowing at least 75mm from the prop swing. that would put you roughly where the speedo pick up is or (B) on the portside.

Then the port/starboard side argument will come up.

Be interesting to see the consensus.

Cheers
SM

polky
18-11-2007, 10:57 PM
IMO b would be the ideal location. A and D are on your chime/rake line and will pick up constant water disturbance which will look like clutter on your sounder. But in saying that I would wait nd see if Grand Marlin gives his opinion. Polky.

trueblue
19-11-2007, 12:27 AM
C would be best based on my experience with a major drama getting mine to read properly at speed. But anywhere up towards D may work ok depending on how much disturbance you actually have from the hull. You do have to keep clear of the prop swing though as previously mentioned, but try to keep clear of hull disturbances.

Poseidon
19-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I too would go for 'C' less turbulence than A or D.

aok47
21-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I have a HH560 and mounted it in a position similar to A. I cant hold bottom when on the plane and have tried adjusting the amount the tranny sticks below the hull twice. I am now looking at mounting my tranny at C....

cheers

AK

PWCDad
27-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I mounted my Furuno 4100 trans is this spot .... works beautifully to max speed of boat.

One thing I did (that you dont have to but ally hull guys might have to) was to sand down and smooth out the "transom to floor" weld ... it created water disturbance at speed. I used a portable linisher along the hull line ... a few of the weld beads hung below hull bottom.

The blue plastic you see is my adapter (mark 1 version) that adapts the trans spray guard to the trans bracket welded to the hull. The silhouette of the trans splash guard is larger than the trans hull bracket. Just needs a trim across top to match splash guard and it will look much neater.

A little tip if I may .....

Another thing I see in the pic is the small chain that you lock it up with .... a bolt cutter will go through that faster than a overheated man with a cold stubbie.

I have been locking up roadbikes for many a year with Boron Alloy Chain and locks. I grab it by the metre from Serafini Chain and use their Boron Alloy Locks as well. Cost a bit of money for sure but are boltcutter proof, hacksaw proof ... period ! ... and very oxy and grinder resistant .... especially in the 12 or 14mm diameter I use.

Keep receipts of lock and chain .... take digital pics of lock attached to boat ...just in case of claim ....

Dont ever lose the keys to the lock !!

Regards
PWCDad

wokket
16-12-2007, 09:53 AM
FYI, I ended up removing the speedo pickup, and mounting the 'ducer there.

It was the only spot on the port side of teh boat that didn't have a chine in the way further up the hull, and also meant I could re-use cable clamp holes etc.

Sounder works a treat at rest/slow speeds, and was reading at up to 20knots in smooth water with some extra oomph in cruising mode.

Was still a bit hit and miss compared to the in-hull perforamnce I'm used to with my _el crappo_ hummingbird wide, so I'm thinking about making up one of those selastic spacer jobbies I've seen on here somewhere, off for a forum search now.

I just wanted to let anybody else whosearches this thread know the result :)

Cheers for the help all,
T