PDA

View Full Version : What volt setting for low power on GPS

-spiro-
18-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Can anyone tell me what to set the low voltage alarm on for my GPS? My old Furuno was a factory pre set so i ain't sure at what to set the new one at.
Cheers Chris8-)

finga
18-11-2007, 07:07 AM
10.8 is low in my books.
Others will have other opinions though :)

Simmo2
18-11-2007, 07:49 AM
finga is spot on! 10.7 is electrically flat!
If the battery is your crank battery then I would set it somewhere around 11.5+v.
If it is just for the sounder etc then maybe somewhere around 11v?
Have you a means of charging the battery whilst out?

Alan_L
18-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Just adding my opinion, as Simmo said, it would depend on what the battery is used for, is it just the sounder or is it the only power source on your boat?

If it's the only power source on the boat then I would set it at around 12.2V, at least this way you will be sure your engine will crank and start and your radios will work correctly if something was to go wrong. It also depends on the size of your engine as well, eg if you had a large diesel you would set the low voltage setting slightly higher again, as they normally require more current to crank.

If it is just the house battery, and is only used for the electronics/ lights etc, then as Simmo said, I would set it at 11.0V. 10.8V is normally the setting where some 12V fridge maufacturers have set the low voltage cut out. But remember, it will take a lot more time to charge a battery when it is this flat, normally many hours. Our large CAT batteries at work can take up to 2 days to fully charge from flat.

Cheers
Alan