PDA

View Full Version : transducer question.. airmar p66

simonpp82
17-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a furuno fcv 620 with the standard airmar transom mounted transducer. I'm having trouble with it being knocked out of its "locked" flat postion every time i hit a big chop at speed or catch a little bit of air (both fairly common offshore obviously). I'm aware that this is a design mechanism that will prevent it from being snapped off if i hit something, but I'm getting really frustrated because i can rarely get a reading at planing speeds offshore. Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? I thought about super gluing it in place but i don't know whether this is a good idea. So you know, it's mounted on a haines signature 542 and the bottom left corner of the transducer is about flush with the hull just like it's supposed to be. It also sits very flat (the back of the transducer isn't protruding to far), any help much appreciated - Simon.

Hagar
17-11-2007, 06:41 PM
G'day Simon

Bit strange mate . I run the same transducer and it is well below the hull to get clear water and so would have more load on it . Never had it kick up . Maybe have another look at the install pics for the x'ducer and make sure it is right . The little tab in the top helps to lock it from memory as well .

Chris

jimbo59
17-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Mine does the same thing as yours simon i was going to put a dab of sika on it.

simonpp82
17-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks Hagar..

I did go over the installation instructions numerous times and i'm confident that it's been done about as good as it could be.. It may just have a weaker "lock in" than yours? It is good to know that it's not normal though, hopefully i'll find an answer

simonpp82
17-11-2007, 06:50 PM
hey jimbo..

Frustrating isn't it!! Where u gonna dab the sika??

jimbo59
17-11-2007, 06:58 PM
just under where it tilts up just in case it bumps somthing it will still come up but it is only a band aid job.

simonpp82
17-11-2007, 07:23 PM
yeah might be the only option?? I'll give it a go too and see how it goes

onerabbit
17-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Mine was doing the same thing also, until the little ledge that it locks with broke off completely.......................( pretty crappy design really )
Now it looks REALLY dodgy, a pile of duct tape seems to hold it in place, but far from desirable.
Hopefully Airmar can supply another lower section of the casing when I get around to chasing one.

Muzz

BrisBen
17-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Try using some heat and bending up the locking flap. Apply the heat evenly until it starts to bend, it should tighten it up nicely and lock in properly.

banshee
17-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Mine did exactly the same thing,good luck with the sika,that lasted two trips for me,I ended up pop riveting it right through the two sections and supa glueing it as well,hasn't budged since.......I do have a spare one though for when the inevitable happens.

jimbo59
17-11-2007, 08:24 PM
It looks like the knerling on the plastic isn't aggressive enuff to stop it from moving

Meherio
17-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I put a a tech screw in each side perfect now.

Vitamin Sea
18-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a furuno fcv 620 with the standard airmar transom mounted transducer. I'm having trouble with it being knocked out of its "locked" flat postion every time i hit a big chop at speed or catch a little bit of air (both fairly common offshore obviously). I'm aware that this is a design mechanism that will prevent it from being snapped off if i hit something, but I'm getting really frustrated because i can rarely get a reading at planing speeds offshore. Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? I thought about super gluing it in place but i don't know whether this is a good idea. So you know, it's mounted on a haines signature 542 and the bottom left corner of the transducer is about flush with the hull just like it's supposed to be. It also sits very flat (the back of the transducer isn't protruding to far), any help much appreciated - Simon.

G'Day,

Mine did that once also, out at the Banks, lateish in the afternoon, middle of winter, guess who had to go over the back to fix it? not easy or much fun in a pitching boat!

As other have said, I just put a small amount of silicon on it then locked it into place, hasn't come up again.

Cheers

Bill

trueblue
19-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Stick a self tapper screw into one side of it, but cut the screw off so that it will break away if the ducer hits something solid.

mine did the same thing, very frustrating

cheers

Mick

Getout
19-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Mine does it as well when I get some air offshore. I use the gaff handle to click it back down. Very annoying

Cheech
19-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I bought an airmar shoot through hull transducer for my 620 so I would not have these type problems and so that i would have a better chance of reading at full speed. Has been nothing but trouble as the unit has a leak in it somewhere and after time I loose the mineral oil and then no reading at all till I fix it. I also get a broken signal at speed when it is correctly full of oil.

I was thinking of buying another normal transducer but maybe not if you guys are having these issues.

Are you getting full readings at speed?

Cheech

SgBFish
19-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Muzz.

Be careful without the lock on. I ran around for a while without the lock on as it had popped off. I couldn’t remove the transducer using the method in the manual of hitting it so I thought I would be ok for a while.

The inevitable happened I suspect I hit something and it was gone.

Scott

simonpp82
19-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies fellas, it seems there is a bit of a problem with the design... I'll prob go with the cut off self tapper option, i can get a spare casing easily anyway if it doesn't last.

Cheech, I'm getting perfect readings in the river at 70kph because its staying locked in where it should be, offshore its fine untill it gets flipped up. With a bit of fiddling it should be ok.

simonpp82
19-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Banshee..
I saw you down at the fingal ramp on sat morning, well i'm assuming it was you cos of the name on the boat. I was in the signature centre console right next to you... how did u go?

JB
19-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Gday Simon, i havent had any dramas with mine on the trailcraft yet, but in saying that i try to limit gettin airbourne cause it hurts comin down LOL . Hope the screw holds it ok for ya. Nothing worse than having to fix it all the time. We'll hafta catch up for a fish when the macs n that arrive.

Jas

jimbo59
19-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Ausfisher andy found the problem this morning when picking up his boat.The wedge that sandwiches the tranny needs to be turned around ,he took one look at it and saw the problem :P boy did he give me heaps, it helps when you fit these things all the time as andy does;) .Thanks andy...jim

simonpp82
20-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Well I screwed the tranny into place and went out off tweed for a run this morning.. Very pleased with the results, i was able to get a good reading at any speed without any problems.. just gotta keep the boat in the water! haha