PDA

View Full Version : norstar or navman c-maps wide or local

ped cairns
17-11-2007, 06:12 PM
i am looking to purchase a gps a few mates have navmans i like 5507 or5505i
after looking on internet norstar seem a lot cheaper and available from sydney but dont know any thing about them, except what read on internet.
questions can i get service on them in aus
i allready have fuel flow meter for navman will it fit
i need a c-map also and are wondering if local map have more reef /bottom detail than wide maps or are the same info on them
thanks for your input
peter cairns

2rods
17-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Northstar is the USA name for a Navman...they are the same unit.

As for service in Australia??? no idea.

The maps show the same amount of detail, it is just that the wide covers a bigger area....

And as they are the same (navman/northstar) you fuel flow meter should not be an issue.

cheers

2rods

Piscatory Pursuit
18-11-2007, 01:08 PM
2rods is correct. I think you will be seeing the Northstar brand as the Navmans go away. Soon everything will be Norhtstar. They are identical to Navman and your fuel flow meter will work with the Northstar. You can get service on Northstar in Oz any place you can get Navman serviced.
Good Luck!

ScubaSteve_US
19-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Navman in the USA is almost completely gone, rebranded as Northstar. You will see a little old inventory around until it sells completely out. Navico bought Navman last year and now owns Simrad, Northstar, Navman, Lowrance and a couple other names that escape me at the moment.

Charts are no more detail just larger areas. Your fuel flow should integrate fine with either unit.

Neil - Scuba Steve's Marine