PDA

View Full Version : How Long Between Services ?????

Tailortaker
16-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I have a 2000 model johnson 25hp and wondering how long or how many hours should I allow between services. I have hade it for 5 months and it was serviced about 2 months before that. It still runs sweet as but want to do the right thing to ensure a good life span out of it.
Thanks TT
________
Gay Arab (http://www.####tube.com/categories/608/arab/videos/1)

blaze
16-11-2007, 08:45 PM
take your prop off a couple of times a year to grease the shaft, lift the cowl evry few trips and give it the once over (visual check for loose bolts etc), spray lanilan. Then take it for a servive once a year (or do it yourself)
cheers
blaze

tigermullet
16-11-2007, 08:54 PM
There will probably be a bit of flak flying after this but I don't bother with services.

I keep an eye on the impeller by dropping the leg every second year and check the gear box oil about every six months. Other than that I have rarely had an outboard serviced. The best run was from a Mariner 30hp purchased some time around 1986 - it had it's first service ten years later and was still going strong until 2003 when it was given away. The latest motor had a service back in 2003 and that was hardly necessary. The dinghy motor, an 8hp Mariner, was serviced last year - its being going great since 1985. That motor might get a service in another five years or so. All of the motors get consistent use and there has never been a problem.

Might be just luck but the advantage with modern motors is that they have lots of stainless steel for the important bits, great electrics and even anodes inside the motors (or so I am told). Of course, I am talking about two strokes not those new fangled four strokes. I don't know anything about those.

My 'fall back' position is to have very good anchors and a proper set of oars for the dinghy.

tigermullet
16-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Blaze is correct. I do that sort of thing too!

Plus, if you have resistor type spark plugs fitted, I recommend that you take them out and chuck them as far as you can. They're absolute mongrels;D

bluefin59
16-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I do about 130 hrs a year in my boat they recomend every 10o hrs but i get mine done in september every year ,i also give it a look over and check the batteries at least once a month . The reason i do it in september is i like to be sure my boat is right for summer ,its just the way i'v always done it ...matt

BM
16-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Yep, I agree with Blaze. Once a yr is the norm.

Check things for yourself so you can identify issues before they become costly dramas.

Its not hard. You leave the prop on with fishing line behind it and it chews the front seal and suddenly your up for a gearbox rebuild. Check your propshaft semi regularly and nip a costly problem in the bud.

To easy!!

Tailortaker
16-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys, I just put a new prop on so thats that sorted.
________
Marijuana Strains (http://strainindex.com)

Far side
16-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Every 100 hours on a df 140 Just had the 200 hour service done
I am from the old school where oil is cheeper than motors
The more you change it the better off you are

disorderly
16-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Regarding 2 strokes what is actually involved for a "service".?

For four strokes I'd like to know also.

I think some of us less knowledgable folk could benefit if we were given a breakdown of what was actually done for a service and the approximate costs to do so.

Scott

BM
16-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Comp test
New plugs
Remove lower unit and replace impeller at minimum
Replace gear oil (inspect old oil for metal filings)
Reassemble lower unit and refit
Grease lube point on engine
Clean and lube steering
Replace water sep filter if fitted
Replace on-engine filter if fitted
Test warning system
Check throttle/gear cables
Check cold start method
Check carb linkage synch
Test run and check timing if necessary
Check idle rpm and characteristics
Check gearshift
Remove prop and check propshaft seal and regrease
Generally check wiring, cabling, connections around the powerhead

Thats more or less most of it

artesian
16-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm with tigermullet. But I don't go offshore, and my electric will get me out of most trouble, and if not, I can walk :-)

Mines a 93 tiller steer OMC 25hp, and I'm still peed off that they couldn't get their act together to tell me that due to a dodgy change they made, the magnetos would self destruct.

I change the plugs and gear oil at christmas time Ho Ho Ho.

OMC 2 strokes from the 90s had a problem, according to the service manuals, where the gearcase would corrode and grow into the leg, eventually splitting it. presumably a symptom of the USA attitude that small motors, ie those under 100 hp ;-) are for freshwater

I did do the carbon guard thing for a few years, and am considering doing so again. Then again, I might flog it till it dies, and then buy a 4 stroke yammie, or take up knitting;-)

disorderly
16-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Comp test
New plugs
Remove lower unit and replace impeller at minimum
Replace gear oil (inspect old oil for metal filings)
Reassemble lower unit and refit
Grease lube point on engine
Clean and lube steering
Replace water sep filter if fitted
Replace on-engine filter if fitted
Test warning system
Check throttle/gear cables
Check cold start method
Check carb linkage synch
Test run and check timing if necessary
Check idle rpm and characteristics
Check gearshift
Remove prop and check propshaft seal and regrease
Generally check wiring, cabling, connections around the powerhead

Thats more or less most of it

Roughly how long would this take,Nick,for you to complete this service if it were pretty straightforward and how much would it cost more or less?
Is there extra stuff to be done for a 4 stroke motor or is it much the same?

Scott

Ps Nick,You have to understand that because I have an E-Tec I am unfamiliar with servicing protocol.lolhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

BM
17-11-2007, 06:19 AM
With the injected engines there will be other things to check. Etecs you plug into a palm pilot etc etc

The above list may only take 1 hr if you are really flying and have no problems or interruptions. Although its hard to get an employee to perform at that pace consistently.

Cheers

polky
17-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Matey have a 70 4st, visual check after evert trip, as Blaze says, and the motor gets serviced every 100hrs or every 12mths which ever comes first. Look after your motor it stays happy then your happy.

gar26lw
17-11-2007, 02:44 PM
i got quoted 450 for a service. where's the best place to have a yamaha 2st serviced in brissie? ive tried a few places and never been happy the timing was done right etc.. can i just do it myself?