PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a radar

Asty1405
16-11-2007, 12:02 PM
We have just brought a new boat and do alot of night fishing for snapper. Although its not to much fun cruising in the pitch black not knowing wats infornt of you. Our new sounder is the latest navman which is compatible with radars. And i was just looking for some suggestion for which radar would be the best, and the kw required etc. Any help would be great. Not looking for anythin to big, just a 24nm radar.

Cheeers
Asty

insideout
16-11-2007, 06:27 PM
gday asty, mate if you dont have a flybridge boat, save your pennies and get a 12nm raydome, for anything bigger is overkill (i bought a 36nm for my kc 2400). You will only need a stronger raydome if you have a taller boat,but on a smaller craft, a 12nm works as well as a 36nm and half the cost (in my opinion.)

DAVE_S
16-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Asty
i have just fitted a radar to interface with my lowrance 7500c ,i fitted it for the same reason as you .I can not tell you much more than that as iam still learning all the things it can do ,had a little play with it last week end wilst of caloundra and it showed me all the beacons ,ships,trailer boats ,and the shore line being day light i could confirm these objects where there as shown on the radar ,1 ship i could just see with the naked eye showed up quite easy . mine is a 24 nm .

Piscatory Pursuit
17-11-2007, 05:53 AM
You can get a 24nm range, 2.2 kw radome with display for pretty reasonalble money. I am not aware of anyone making anything less than a 24 nm range anymore. This type of setup sure beats flying blind! You should learn to use it like Dave said, in the daytime so you can visually confirm everything it is telling you. You will also find that radar can have some blind spots and daylight use will tell you if you have any and where they are.

Good Luck!

camsharkman
18-11-2007, 08:00 AM
If your seriuos about a radar go for a 4kw radome. It may be over kill but you'll be able to pick up objects that a smaller radome won't. Go for a Koden or Furuno.
That my opinion.

ozbee
22-11-2007, 02:32 PM
there only as good as the height of boat any thing more than 2kw on a trailer able
is a waste of money and current drain.

ScubaSteve_US
28-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I would go with the 4kw radome too if it's in the budget. Since you already have a radar compatible machine just add the Navman/Northstar dome into your existing system. Least expensive way to go. Nothing wrong with Northstar radars.

-Neil
Scuba Steve's Marine

marco
28-11-2007, 04:00 PM
do you have to stick with the same brand radome . eg: raymarine plotter , do you have the choice of running say a furuno radome or does only the raymarine radome work ?
cheers
mark

Piscatory Pursuit
29-11-2007, 12:48 AM
HI Marco,
You do have to have the same brand radome if you are using a multi function display like the Raymarine C120, you would need the Raymarine radome, a Northstar display you need a Northstar radome. If you plan on using a dedicated screen for the radar then you can buy what ever brand you want with it's own screen. PM me if you want to know what models are compatible with your display.
Good Luck!