PDA

View Full Version : Weather Forcasts

ON-THE-CHEW
16-11-2007, 09:08 AM
This might be a stupid question but if I don't ask it I wont know. How is it that both on the government wave monitoring site and seabreeze the gold coast ALWAYS has better weather than Brisbane.

There is usually 5-10 knots variance in the wind (Goldies is always better) and the swell readings are always smaller as well.

Andrew

seatime
16-11-2007, 09:35 AM
G'day,

Though I'm not a meteorologist by any stretch I'll take a stab at it.

Perhaps the Brisbane area forecast is collecting data from further afield than the Gold Coast forecast. e.g. Brisbane includes Cape Moreton data & possibly the Pt Lookout WRB which are exposed areas as well as Nthn & Sthn bay. While the Goldy draws from a 'micro climate' area - Coolangatta to Seaway, which may offer a degree of protection in certain conditions ???

Flattie Assassin
16-11-2007, 09:39 AM
G'day,

Though I'm not a meteorologist by any stretch I'll take a stab at it.

Perhaps the Brisbane area forecast is collecting data from further afield than the Gold Coast forecast. e.g. Brisbane includes Cape Moreton data & possibly the Pt Lookout WRB which are exposed areas as well as Nthn & Sthn bay. While the Goldy draws from a 'micro climate' area - Coolangatta to Seaway, which may offer a degree of protection in certain conditions ???

Agreed, and often the fishing spots are the same. Alot of spots on the goldy are going to be protected by the southerlies. It all depends on where the Data is collected.