PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Electronics

Ninja
16-11-2007, 02:42 AM
The time has come to start purchasing some electronics. I'm a bit lost in this whole area so any real advice would be apprciated. For the sounder I am getting a Furuno 585. Should I shoot thru hull or transom mount if using a 1kw transducer and what is the best 1kw transducer suited to the unit? I'm not keen to loose the temp sensor but can mabey have it read using the gps or some other electronic?
For the gps I am considering the Garmin GPSMAP 585?? I have previously run the garmin 172c and been happy with it but it is now discontinued. The problem with most of the new garmin gps is that the amount of available waypoints and routes has been halved and I already have over the 1500 waypoints available. A positive of the garmins is that I have a memory card and card reader which I'm guessing would make it very easy to transfer my data to the new garmin gps. Mabey I would be better off considering the garmin 3005c or finding a 172c or just moving to a different brand alltogether.
I am installing a Suzuki df225 and wanted some form of fuel flow meter and I haven't heard great things about the suzuki ones. I have run a Navman 2100 and was happy with it but should I consider something that utilises the sounder or gps or current guages?
Finally, what fm/cd stereo and vhf radios should I consider?
Thanx for your help.

marco
16-11-2007, 02:55 AM
you maybe interested in what is coming for garmin

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=177471&posts=14

Rod Fishing
16-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Mate have you consider lowrance.

Piscatory Pursuit
17-11-2007, 06:14 AM
You are definitely on the right track with the Furuno FCV585. Best sounder you can buy in my opinion. If you have a glass boat that has a solid glass area where you can mount the 1kw in hull ducer I think it makes the best set up. I have a freind with this setup and it works fantastic. Alot of people will tell you that you lose some of the signal shooting through the hull. Furuno says it uses more sensitive elements to offset any loss from shooting thru the hull and I agree the 1kw in hull if fantstic. You can buy a transom mount speed and temp sensor for the 585 if you don't want to lose temp. Furuno is also a great way to go if you are planning on buying overseas as their warranty is good in Oz, same with Garmin.

As for your plotter, I am not familiar with the Garmin 585. Are you sure you got the model right? Most of the newer garmins hold around 1500 waypoints if I remember correctly and the Garmin network displays hold around 10,000. The new Garmin Visions charts are off the hook! It can actually take data from the sounder and impose it onto the charts in a 3D underwater view. It's crazy! Just find the Garmin that has all of the features you need and it will match up nice with the 585.

Good Luck!