PDA

View Full Version : Would you a E-TEC

troy
15-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Whould you buy a E-TEC From 1500 kms away with the knowledge that your local dealer would not service the motor because i did not buy it from him.
The reason i cannot buy from my local dealer is because a dealer down south will trade my boat if i buy a boat from them.
Here is the problem and no offence to E-TEC Owners but there has been a lot of negative things said on this site about E-tecs.
Just need opinions without bagging -E-TEC as i have never owned one.
Thanks
Troy

Splash
15-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Be ready!..............

manchild
15-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Give it a miss .You need a good service tech with e-tecs and yes i own one .Without correct service and upgrades to the software i wouldnt get it.
George
How come he wouldnt service it?Its just plain rude and stupid from someone who makes a living out of it

Grey-Ghost
15-11-2007, 07:55 PM
I Have one and love it ,it a 225 .brought from another dealer but Downs marine service it
Cheers chris

KAGEY1
15-11-2007, 07:55 PM
why won't he trade your boat?

BM
15-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Sounds like your local dealer is a fool. I cannot believe he would not still want to take your money to service the engine.

disorderly
15-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe he just doesn't like you, Troyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.
Buy elsewhere.

Scott

leezor
15-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Give it a miss .You need a good service tech with e-tecs and yes i own one .Without correct service and upgrades to the software i wouldnt get it.
George
How come he wouldnt service it?Its just plain rude and stupid from someone who makes a living out of it

Unfortunately this is not uncommon, I was faced with a similar dilemna when I bought a new Suzuki 4 stroke. The local dealer told me straight that if I bought it else where and needed assisitance be it warranty or servicing that customers who purchased from him would have priority. He didn't say he wouldn't do, but not to expect it back in a hurry.
In the end I am glad I did buy it from them as I had issues with the gauges which they ended up sorting out for me.
Most Etec owners will say that a good dealer is a must, and from all reports initial setup is where you will need them the most.
My 2c..

Lee

cormorant
15-11-2007, 08:29 PM
If that's the blokes attitude I wouldn't deal with him full stop unless I had to. What sort of business can he run with such threatening behaviour. Phone up BRP and tell them so they know what sort of people are representing them as they actually have a service commitment or they can lose their accreditation. Under warranty he has little choice if directed to by BRP.

Do a compromise and get himto rig your new boat to shut him up. I can't see what his issue is. Obviously doesn't think he gets paid enough for warranty hours from BRP as they pay by the book not bull-crap mechanics hours and rates.

Hope there is another dealer in town of some brand as all motors need good mechanics if they are to be reliable.

bustastu
15-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I know a little how you feel. In my opinion, the Haines Hunter / Etec dealer here on the Sunny Coast is as useless as tits on a bull. Every time I ring them I get the run around and they're very quick to ask, "did you buy it from us"
I have to drive 300 km down to the Gold Coast to Hinterland Marine for servicing, add ons ond warranty instead of 5 minutes down the road. Even when you call them, they are quite happy to answer any questions and provide good advice.. its all about customer service..

Having to drive 1500km, unfortunately I'd look at another option.

Good Luck.

BS

KAGEY1
15-11-2007, 10:47 PM
If you do get good service, it is worth a few bucks to buy local. i get this all the time. "You are dearer than the big smoke by $x dollars. I'll buy from them."
Then there is a problem and they want you to fix it. Why is it my problem? I didn't sell it in the first place!
Think about that. If you buy a fridge from Harvey Norman, and have a drama, do you ask the good guys to fix it? I don't think so. We all want to save a bob, but why should a dealer, employing local people, put you in front of customers who have been loyal to him? Give the dealer a fair go and you might get one yourself.
An old addage in the trade, be it electrical vehicle, boats or whatever, " Buyers are liars. " It still holds true today. Be fair dinkum and if you get it in return, use them. But in my opinion, if the service is crap, by all means, go elsewhere.
There, that's off my chest. ha ha
geoff

Boblee
15-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I would buy the boat 1500 ks away if it is still a good deal after travelling there.
As for service it should be set up to your satisfaction and requirments at delivery, just make sure you try it out on the water.
Your local dealer is req to service but he may just charge a higher rate but unless something is wrong you have 300hr's and if it is a warranty prior to that it's on BRP.
Sounds like you have a shit dealer, if he wasn't you probably would deal with him.
Couldn't be happier with my ETEC would recommend to anyone.

PinHead
16-11-2007, 04:47 AM
can't you sell your boat privately? Then you can deal wherever you want on the new rig.

MyEscape
16-11-2007, 05:11 AM
Well Troy I know the dealer you are talking about. Surely they must service e-tec's for people who bought elsewhere and moved to Mackay. Afterall, Mackay is a place where many people have moved to recently.

But why would you ask this question at all?

That is just a problem provoking question that is probably always going to get the same answer.

All businesses want customer loyalty.

It's a 2 way street Troy. You want them to look after you, you need to take the first step.

Steve

troy
16-11-2007, 05:39 AM
He builds his own boats and if you do noy buy a boat off him but offer to buy the motor fom him you get told what you can do with your money.
This has happened to a few people i know that does not want to buy his boat but are willing to buy the motor from him.
This is why i am posting i want to buy a boat and the dealer who has made me a good offer only sells E-TECS but he is 1500klms away so this woories me that is why i have asked for advice.
I do not want to buy the type of boat my local Dealer builds is that a crime.
Thanks
Troy

nigelr
16-11-2007, 06:08 AM
In a nutshell Troy, no I wouldn't.
As stated, efficient diligent servicing is essential.
Otherwise you could end up owning a major headache, instead of a pleasure machine!
Although I don't own an etec, I would be happy to buy one because the dealer here is also the gun for servicing, etc. I would be entirely confident in his ability to address any issues I might have.
Best of luck, sounds like the local dealer you mention would be well worth avoiding if logistically possible, is he the only one in the area?
Sounds like he is in desperate need of some customer-focussed competition!
Cheers.

roydsy
16-11-2007, 06:17 AM
No, give it a miss mate.

Boblee
16-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Troy maybe I am missing something but do I understand right that you live in Makay and if so you have an ETEC dealer at Bowen who also sells Honda. I don't really agree with this dealer that Honda are better than ETEC;D but his servicemen certainly got my 15 hp Honda working better than it ever has.
He should know as he has tested them side by side ? what do I know.

troy
16-11-2007, 07:59 AM
The Dealership down south who has offered to trade my boat is on condition i buy a complete boat package from him which is fair enough as i would be trading down.
But as most have stated it is not a good option so i will give it a miss and keep my boat to sell privately.
Thanks
Troy

Rod Fishing
16-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Troy listen to the dealer he know best, or so he thinks. Mate make your asumptions, this forum here is the best reference material there is. People who post here are talking from experience and most dont bulshit.

Cheers Rod....

ozbee
16-11-2007, 08:26 AM
mate if the bloke down south has offered a great deal take it you want all the hassles of selling its up to you anyhow once it set up properly its not that you have to take it very often to a dealer ie no oil changes ,anyhow there plenty of etec dealership from mackay to townsville ,this is really a case of boat choice so buy what you want not what they want to sell you and pick yourself what dealership you service with.

Noelm
16-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Do I read this correctly , that the nearby dealer is also one who sells/services Evinrude, but would not service yours if you got it elsewhere?? or he is NOT an Evinrude Dealer at all? if he is, he cannot refuse to service it, but if he is a sh!t dealer/person he may not give you "priority" over others, if that is the case, better off without him and a letter to BRP is in order, if he does not sell them, then it is a whole new ballgame, I think I would be thinking about the brand he does sell, though I would still be suspicious of his Business ethics some time later on if you need assistance, or maybe even better off the p!ss him off altogether and buy elsewhere and take the risk, either option has dangers (I reckon anyway)

Dicko
16-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Etecs don't break down or need servicing anyway so what's the problem ?

:P

Noelm
16-11-2007, 09:34 AM
no, you are confused with the Suzuki 4 stroke!

troy
16-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Problem solved my boat just got sold privatley.
Cannot believe the timing.
Thanks for all the advise .
Troy:D

Fish Guts
16-11-2007, 10:35 AM
indeed he is

polky
16-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I would have thought that being a e-tec dealer he would have no choice but to service your e-tec motor no matter where it come from as long as it is under waranty. Polky.

KAGEY1
16-11-2007, 04:42 PM
:D Troy, If We Are Talking About The Same Dealer In Mackay, Then I Can Tell You That He Sold Me The E-tec For Damn Near The Southern Prices And I Didn't Buy The Boat From Him. No Dramas So Far.
Geoff

troy
16-11-2007, 05:03 PM
:D Troy, If We Are Talking About The Same Dealer In Mackay, Then I Can Tell You That He Sold Me The E-tec For Damn Near The Southern Prices And I Didn't Buy The Boat From Him. No Dramas So Far.
Geoff
KAGEY1,
Not from Mackay.
Anyway i am no longer in that position.
My cruise craft was sold today privately.
The boat i was going to buy down south was a haines hunter 520 prowler and i can now can put what motor i want on it and at this stage i am undecided.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Troy

nowornever
16-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I have been talking to the Pro Crabbers, the Air Sea Rescue and a few other people in the Industry about what the go is. I have heard that currently the Yamaha has problem with there enjectors, and Etecs have been having some major issues with puting pistons out the block.

From what I can see at the present moment, it is a good pick between a Suzuki or a Merc

BM
16-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Do I read this correctly , that the nearby dealer is also one who sells/services Evinrude, but would not service yours if you got it elsewhere?? or he is NOT an Evinrude Dealer at all? if he is, he cannot refuse to service it, but if he is a sh!t dealer/person he may not give you "priority" over others, if that is the case, better off without him and a letter to BRP is in order, if he does not sell them, then it is a whole new ballgame, I think I would be thinking about the brand he does sell, though I would still be suspicious of his Business ethics some time later on if you need assistance, or maybe even better off the p!ss him off altogether and buy elsewhere and take the risk, either option has dangers (I reckon anyway)

Actually he can refuse Noel.... He's not supposed to, but it goes on and this is not an isolated situation.

I was chatting with a mate of mine today who is a sizeable Yamaha dealer in Melbourne and he was saying that he does a lot of another Yamaha dealers (don't want to name them) warranty work!!

His theory is simple, painfully obvious but extremely effective. The other dealer is only interested in the sale. Bucks through the door then piss off we don't want to know you. Many dealers are like that (indeed many businesses in many industries are like that).

He is quite happy to do the warranty work because he gets to show the service side of a business and not just the sales side. And of course he wins them over as a customer for life.

Its so simple I don't get whats in the heads of these money only and no service businesses.

I also learned today that when you achieve platinum dealer status they pay your "retail labour rate" for warranty work. Now thats cool and means you aren't being finanially affected for doing warranty work.

Cheers