PDA

View Full Version : Townsville Barra Park

Dr_Dan
15-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Was wondering if anyone has been out here at all. Thinking of taking the young nephew out there some time next week. He's keen on fishing, although gets bored pretty quickly (he's only 4). Is it worth a look?

Fisher4life
15-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah it's a bit of fun... guaranteed to catch a fish and shouldn't get too boring for the young fella.

The ponds are heavily stocked with 40-50cm specimens, but with light drags, they put up a good fight

Cheers
Josh

Lutjanus johnii
15-11-2007, 08:55 PM
He won't get board, It's a ball with the kids. Just watch they don't fall in when they get a hit.

nonibbles
15-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Been a while since I was there last but funnily, James asked me, "when can we go there again," just today. I said we'd do it soon. Make sure you post a report/pics so we can compare notes.
I remember seeing a pic of your nephew's first "peesh" a barra should get him pretty excited I reckon.

Cheers,
Paul

Dr_Dan
16-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Cheers guys. will head out next week and check it out.

Rod Fishing
16-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Dan,

I have been once and had an absolute ball, you are certain to catch a barra, I tried a few diferent lures and Sp's, but the red claw was the best bait there.

There was this young fella there that was just walking around the edges of the ponds with a lure trailing like he was trolling and was catching fish.

Cheers Rod....

Scott nthQld
16-11-2007, 10:05 AM
they now have a 'big fish' pond as well, with specimens about 60 and over, I've been there once before and it was great, didn't go 5 min without a fish. The operators only let us use barbless hooks though, so you might want to squash a few down. The redclaw were the best bait, thats what they are fed on, but they don't hit as hard as they just think its feeding time.

whiteman
16-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Dangle the bait right next to the grass (shady bits best) and you'll see them almost beach themselves. Best time late around 5pm. Last time there my 8yo managed to put a hook right through his thumb and index finger - spent the evening in TSV hospital casualty!

goddy100
16-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I take my daughter there over holidays, good fun. Last time we used squidgy stealth prawns, fish where gong ballistic on them. The daughter started with the yabbies, but after outfishing here about 10 to 1 in the first half hour, she sent the plastics. If you use bait, just keep them moving slowly on the bottom. Also a lot of fish hold to the edges, so when you lift the bait out of the water be prepared to be hit.
Goddy

Scott nthQld
16-11-2007, 12:04 PM
make sure you tke a het and plenty of suncream too, there's no shade around the barra ponds. On the plus side they do sell frosty beers. they do have gear there but it pretty dodgy, and really overkill for the size of the fish, they do this because they don't want the fish to tire and stress out too much during the fight, best to take your own.

Dr_Dan
16-11-2007, 02:04 PM
thanks for all the info guys. No doubt the young bloke will have a ball, even just playing with the redclaw.

Will post a report afterwards.