PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Power Off - Garmin GPS 292

Splash
15-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Team.

My Garmin 292 GPS keeps turning off after 1 or 2 min of use underway - when mounted.

When I use this at home (not underway), unit works fine and does not turn off.

I have triple checked all connections from battery to unit.

I am stumped and hope you can assist me finding out why it turns off like this..

SPlash

finga
15-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Try the fuse matey.
What type is the fuse??
Seems to be a problem more common to the glass type fuse
Sometimes a bit of corrosion gets in there and plays havoc.
:)

Splash
15-11-2007, 07:58 AM
will confirm and get abck - thanks.

When I stand in my boat athome, i wiggle the fuse, connections but still no shut off. I have chekced all for corrosion etc. all good.

WHy this intermittent shut off whilst underway?

It is hooked to a separate battery as well - so no drop in voltage occurs either.

Splash

finga
15-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Also go along the length of the wire bending and pulling and twisting it.
This checks for a dodgy wire.
I've seen breaks in wire from brand spanking. Might be worth a try as well.
Check all wires from the battery to the unit itself including the cable they give you to plug into the unit.
They're tiny wires as well and can have a break 1/2 way up

What connections are on the wire??

nedoleboy
15-11-2007, 08:43 PM
try reterminating or recrimping wire/lug connections as well. sometimes connection may seem ok but is a little loose.only need a tiny bit of corrosion to lose connection.ned.

Splash
15-11-2007, 10:28 PM
May thansk - will do that.

jibby
19-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Try turning off the WAAS during startup I had the same problem and worked out after several days and reading the manual several times that the WAAS system only works in the states so the unit shuts down when it can't get a signal.

Hope this helps.

Jibby

Splash
19-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks Jibby.

I am pretty sure WAAS is turned off but will double check - Good point though.

Question - did your unit shut down straight away or was it random in how long it would 'stay alive' for??

The longest my unit has stayed on is about 3 mins. :-((

Also, do u share your unit's power with other sources - on the same battery?

SPlash

fozzy
20-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Splash,

I have experinced the same issue with the same model, funnily enough.

For me it only occurred if I fired up the unit straight after I started the outboard and I wondered if there was some sort of voltage regulation problem from the charging system of the outboard.

If I wait 2 or 3 minutes after startup before switching on, i have no problems. Effectivley I'm giving the outboard time to warm up.

I have no idea how to validate this and I haven't had a multimeter on the supply to the GPS to check volatges, it just seems to work for me.

Cheers,

Dave

Splash
20-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Thansk Dave.

did your problem happened every time after you turned unit on after donk startup or was it just some times??

did you connect your 292 GPS to the crank battery or di you have a second battery where u hooked the GPS up to?

If second battery, what other accessories did u hook up?

SPlash

fozzy
20-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Splash,

I have two batteries in a dual setup with a changeover switch. When I go out I start using one battery and then at some point during the day I change over onto the other battery, trying to even out the usage.

I run the GPS, a sounder, a VHF and a 27MHz radio off the common, so whatever battery is active, that's the one they all feed off.

I only have the problem with a power off in the first five minutes of the trip, after that it will go all day and doesn't drop out when the motor start causes a bit of voltage drop or anything, which is what makes me think (for my situation anyway) it's some sort of regulation problem. As the outboard heats up all the electrics settle in and away we go.

Dave

Splash
20-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for reply Fozzy.

I run my GPS off a separate battery not linked in any way to my crank battery.

So, unfrtuantely, I have to rule your cause out of my diagnosis.

Very interesitn gpoint about engine warming up and it's affect on electronics!

Splash

Splash
22-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Try turning off the WAAS during startup I had the same problem and worked out after several days and reading the manual several times that the WAAS system only works in the states so the unit shuts down when it can't get a signal.

Hope this helps.

Jibby

Jibby,

I nwo learn that WAAS is on on my unit :-( How do I turn it off?

My understanding is (from Manual) that if WAAS cannot be detected, it automatically searches for the next best accurate signal - if this is the case, then I assume a signal can always be got.

But, you are stating if WAAS is turned on, all signals are locked out if WAAS cannot be sourced...

Curious...

SPlash

Splash
23-12-2007, 08:59 AM
OK - I have turned WAAS off.

Will take for a spin soon and report back.

SPlash

Splash
26-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Team,

Jsut to report back - first use of GPS after this thread was started.

The unit now remains on - this is the first time ever sice I purcahased the unit 18 months ago.

THank you very much for all your input!

Problem - Loose power conenction.

SPlash