PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga or ????

knuckle
14-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Howdy fellow fisho's
New member here, what a great web site!
I am planning a trip to Fraser Island to fish the Toyota Classic from 24th-30th of May 2008 and was thinking of also doing a Barra trip to Awoonga or perhaps another dam up that way as part of my trip either before or after fraser. I was wondering if anybody could help with any suggestions as I have never been Barra fishing before, im not even sure if that is a good time of year for Barra, any suggestions or advice from any of you guys would be great.
Thanks Heaps
Knuckle

jamesryan30
14-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey mate,

Throw your lures or plastics against any structure. If you get a hook up . Hold on brother.

Jr;D ;D

knuckle
14-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Jamesryan,
Thanks mate, getting fired up just thinking about it, have you fished up there around that time of year (late may)
Thanks again
Knuckle

eotbmg
14-11-2007, 09:39 PM
May is still ok if you want to fish later on in the day in the shallows after the sun has warmed the water up and the barra are crusing along the weed edges of the bays. It is a more challenging style of fishing-they are really flighty. Try walking along the bank, keeping low, making cast's unseen over the weed. Hopefully they are in the mood but they are there to be caught.
Cheers
Ben

vet
15-11-2007, 04:08 PM
The barra are definitely there to be caught in may, and if you get onto them then the average size is usually quite good with most fish over the metre. Generally fish from 3pm to 7pm is the best. if there are strong southeasters than I wouldn't bother so at that time of the year the bite depends on calm still weather otherwise it is very hard. They aren't overly active so suspending shallow jerk baits worked with twitches and long pauses is the best method, ie b52, gold bombers, rapala xraps, over shallow weed.

knuckle
15-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone,
All the info is fantastic.
Cant Wait
Knuckle