PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question

Nakor1
14-11-2007, 03:18 PM
HI Everyone

I have been reading your fishing reports and advice regarding boating and fishing for quite some time and I have learnt alot so far. I didnt know how much I didnt know until I came here. I am getting my new boat next week, a brooker 5.25m discovery runabout with a Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke. I am interested in expanding the previous areas I have fished which is mainly around creeks and catching sandies around bramble bay. Although I have learnt so much already there is 1 thing that I have been looking for and I cant find in any threard, now wait for it cause I know how silly this is going to sound. What sort of anchor do you use at mud island? Now is that a stupid question or what, but I dont know.

bluefin59
14-11-2007, 03:32 PM
On the odd occasion i do anchor i use a sand or plough anchor and have never had problems getting it back and even if ido i have zip ties on it so it will break away and pull straight out but i'v never had to at mud......matt

Nakor1
14-11-2007, 04:00 PM
bluefin59
Thanks for answering me, at least now i have a direction to go in. I am going to bias on friday to pick up some items and I was already looking at a plough anchor that is in there cattledog. Thanks for helping me decide to buy it.

mattooty
14-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Its probably a good idea to have a reef pick in the boat as well in case you decide you want to drop a line in a rocky area, that way you can just undo the d clamp and screw another one on.
Welcome to ausfish and just remember, everyone on this site had to ask someone before them how to do whatever they dont know. Im only 18 and have learnt so much just from reading someone elses questions and answers and thinking "gee, why didnt i think of that, it was so obvious"

Nakor1
14-11-2007, 05:09 PM
HI Mattooty

Thanks for the welcome. I do always carry a reef pick with me just in case.

russ81
14-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Hows it going mate

I would definitely recommend setting up your anchor as blufin has suggested as I have had to cut away an anchor on the NW side of mud because I was to lazy to set it up properly

Benny01
14-11-2007, 06:32 PM
can someone please explain what they mean by setting it up so they dont lose it

Simmo2
14-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi mate,
I lost a anchor once, had to cut it...
I asked the same question you are asking in Bill Marine, with a few blokes around me chuckleing at me....

Anyway, this is how I got told to do it, and aint lost one since.
The chain and D shackle go to the back of the anchor, and a 'fairly' substantial cable tie on the front of the anchor.
The chain needs to be sort of pulling along the anchor, not affecting the cable tie.
The angle of anchoring then should also not affect the cable tie.
If you get caught up, you drive forwards, breaking the cable tie, and the anchor should slide out backwards and up.

I played around a while with the right cable ties, I was using too weak ones at first!! Now, I found one that I can stand on the anchor (on land!) and pull my hardest and break it....seems to work for me!
Hope this helps!

Scott nthQld
15-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks Simmo, I've never even heard of doing that before, althogh I've never lost an anchor, you just never know when it will happen so maybe I should change from the standard setup

plaztix
15-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Ah, the wonders of ausfish.

Ask what you think is a silly question and get the answer and a very handy tip as well.

Cheers guys, i'm tipping there will be a few less lost anchors around this weekend .

mik01
15-11-2007, 02:47 PM
thats a brilliant idea - thanks everyone! :)

Dirtysanchez
15-11-2007, 03:29 PM
The only silly question is the one you never ask !

So does this cable tie go around the chain, or through one of the links ?

Thanks

Chimo
15-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi DS

I used to tie thru the link but so that there was no strain on the tie when the chain was laying flat on the bottom (sand) but the tie only got loaded up when the tension on the warp and chain was from directly above ie you are trying to retrieve it.

I also used fencing tie wire with good success and found it more secure and less prone to let go when it was not supposed to, than cable ties . Probably the range and quality of cable ties is better now too.

Cheers
Chimo

Nugget
15-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Another option is to use a SARCA (brand) anchor.
SARCA stands for Sand And Reef Combination Anchor.
I've been using them for a few years now and no longer carry both reef and sand anchors.
Saves on space and they have a sliding mount that has always come off for me.
Another option.

Dave ><>

Simmo2
15-11-2007, 09:23 PM
So does this cable tie go around the chain, or through one of the links ?

Thanks

I put mine thru the link. It was trial and error to get it right, which makes me think now, that there is no problem going around the whole chain....would save some of that trial and error!

I think Nugget has the perfect solution, but if you can preserve what you got already...with a cable tie...why not!!