PDA

View Full Version : don't know how to fish

mikmine
13-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi. The last time i went fishing i was 10 years old. i have no idea what to do. i have tried but i never seem to catch anything except snags. any help will be great:-[

Louis
13-11-2007, 02:05 PM
What area do you live in and are you landbased?

Louis

mikmine
13-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Seaforth. Tried fishing of the banks where the river runs in to the land like a river. Using equipment that the fishing shop gave me. number 2 sinkers and number 2 hooks with prawns and today i tried squid but only succeded with getting inked.

Little grey men
13-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Mate, start looking around at jetties, rockwalls, gutters and any other fishy looking places. It's not just a matter of throwing your line in and waiting for fish to come along. You've got to find them. Might be an idea to grab a few fishing books or look at the" how to "sections on this site, they would help you on your way. Talk to other fisho's that you come across to gather useful information as well. Most of all, keep at it. Be patient and it will pay off, if you are armed with the appropriate knowledge. Good luck.

tunaticer
13-11-2007, 06:14 PM
G'day mikmine, A few things we need to know prior to giving you advice would probably be best.

What sort of fish are you thinking of trying for mainly?
What fishing gear have you got including line weights and brands of rids and reels?
Will you be fishing day time or night time?
What type of fish habitat is easily accessed by you?

Jack.

Keechie
13-11-2007, 07:01 PM
hi
where do i start?
ok well it seems your into bait fishing and landbased so here i go:
first of all i would check with your local newspaper or on the internet and search for a fishing report which says where the fish are being caught, also look for locations where other people are fishing and look for sandbanks which will hold whiting and bream, weedbeds and snags which can hold anything from the bread and butter species to mangrove jack and cod. since your using bait try worms and live yabbies also these are the most produvtive on the flats and prawns on either flats, weedbeds and snags. presuming you are using a spinning reel don't be scared to fish light and loosen the drag a bit, you can easily loose a fish due to too heavy drag but not too loose to lose a fish in the snags, since your starting off try having the drag around 500grams to 1 kilogram although i have it sometimes loosened to 200gm's due to using 2lb line on the flats. for your line try something a bit clear like berkley vanish instead on line like the fluro yellow pen mariner. braid is a popular line nowadays but since you are re-starting i would recomend to try and stay away from it and stay to mono or fluorocarbon lines. if i was you i would choose mono or fluorocarbon line in 6lb (2.7 Kg) to 14lb (6.8kg). probably recomending you go either 8(3kg) or 10lb (4.4kg). the kilograms is roughly right depending on brands. considering you have have a rod and a reel already i might stay away form it but try to keep the reels in the 1000 - 2500 sized reels keeping it light and for the rod 2 - 4 kilograms like a shimano sonic and a shimano sienna which will set you back around 100 and fifty bucks but you have already got a rod and reel. well accessories, you should often try burleying in some fish and try and use a red bead or three above you hook or a red tube you can also purchase glowing sinkers (great at night in tropical waters) and coloured sinkers also good in tropical areas but are effective in normal estuarine systems. well this is all i have collected so far and i am 14 and i have been using soft plastics for 6 months so yeah, i hope this helps a bit.

regards,
keechie

kind_cir
13-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I would give bream a go on bread. Best off to fish low light of early morning or late arvo / first few hours and last few hours.
Grab half a loaf of bread and ya gear and head down near the local boat ramp.[ best spot and best not to get too close if the ramp is busy, please respect and be mindfull of us boaties} or jetty or pick another spot in the river. It would also be best if there were only light winds.
Break a slice of bread into 10-20 cent size pices and throw out one as far as you can and let it float with the current. Throw out 1-2 more with a 3-5m gap between each piece. You should pay attention as to where they float and watch for bream having a feed. Now thread a piece the same size onto a number 4 hook. float it with no sinker down the same path as the others, but make sure the point of the hook is down in the water. You should soon have a bream on.
GOOD LUCK !