PDA

View Full Version : Antifoul

Fish Guts
13-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey just wondering what brands guys are using in regards to Antifoul. Have been using International micron extra and have got just over 18months out of it. Has anyone tried wattyl ? Interested in seeing what everyone is using.

cheers

fish guts

PinHead
13-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Jotun.....

Noelm
14-11-2007, 07:45 AM
i guess almost any known brand will be OK, I dont think there would be any brand too much better than the others, ask a couple of commercial guys what they are using at the moment, it also depends on how much time the Boat is moving compared to sitting, some are better than others for long time sitting while others are made for long term movement (like say a Ship)

tidemaster
14-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I think international antifoul is hard to beat. I've just bought a Whittley that had international on it 2 1/5 years ago. I was a little skeptical when I pulled it out of the water for the survey as It was far too clean for a boat that was antifouled 2 /12 years ago. I booked it in for an re application of antifoul about 6 weeks after I bought it and when it came out of the water it was still clean as a whistle. The guys who did the antifoul knew the boat and said that it was rigi didge and that the boat was used almost every weekend for the two and a half years. Needless to say I asked for it to be done again in international. Also used to drive a boat commercially in Cairns that was antifouled with International and it was also pretty good. I cant remember the brand now but once I skimped on Antifoul and went for a cheap brand and it didnt last 6 months. Whatever you go with, dont skimp it will only cost you double in the end.

ozlongboarder
14-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I put International Coper coat on my Bertram 25 a year ago. I use the boat almost every weekend. I had it out again a few weeks ago and it was still very clean with only a dozen barnacles and no other real growth. The only wear was up near the bow were I run it up on the sand bank when swimming with the family.

Dont skimp on cheap paint, give it a good wet rub when it comes out and give it two good coats and allow it dry between and before putting back in he water.

Brumby
15-11-2007, 07:12 AM
International - 6 months old and there is nothing more than a bit of slime on it. That said, the boat gets a run most weekends which probably helps keep the beaties at bay.

Slight detour here, but related to the above, do you wipe or scrub your antifoul on a regular basis? I give mine a wipe with a sponge along the waterline every few weeks, but that's mostly because it looks better without a line of scum and slime. Was thinking about doing the whole underside now that the water has warmed up, but was told that doing so just reduces the life of the antifoul - not sure that I believe that though.

Cheers

ozlongboarder
15-11-2007, 07:28 AM
The workers at the marina told me not to scrub the bottom, just knock any barnacle growth off and leave it alone. If I have not used the boat for a few weeks I will sometimes give the bottom and sponge wipe to get ride of the slime build up but I try not to rub to hard so as not to remove to much antifoul.

Noelm
15-11-2007, 07:45 AM
hhmm Antifouling actually works by "wearing away" as the Boat travel through the water, it is not just the Paint that detracts things from sticking to it, so in effect, by sponging it, you will be "using" the paint before its useful life has been fulfilled, and some marinas take a very dim view of People who clean their Boats that have "nasty" Paint on the Bottoms!

ozlongboarder
15-11-2007, 08:31 AM
hhmm Antifouling actually works by "wearing away" as the Boat travel through the water, it is not just the Paint that detracts things from sticking to it, so in effect, by sponging it, you will be "using" the paint before its useful life has been fulfilled, and some marinas take a very dim view of People who clean their Boats that have "nasty" Paint on the Bottoms!

Thats true but..... I can go out for a few hours travlling 20+ knots and get back and still have slime on the bottom. I dont sponge it all the time but only if there is a good buildup.

Fish Guts
15-11-2007, 12:57 PM
currently have the micron extra international and its really easy to rub off, so i only use a soft sponge to take of the slime and reactivate the antifoul. normally get it cleaned by a diver a couple of times through winter and do it myself when its warmer. not too keen on swimming in the marina! definately worthwhile a gentle rub down every so often.

what are peoples thoughts on spraying or rolling on? Previously had it sprayed, looked a million dollars but just not convinced the spray applies as much as the traditional roller. think this time going to roll it on.

cheers

fish guts

ozlongboarder
15-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I do it myself so I roller/brush it on, two coats nice and thick. Spraying does look better when its on the slip but once its under water...... its all the same.;)