PDA

View Full Version : southwind sf 17 fuel tank problem

kevthommo
13-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi guys - seeking help with what I hope is a simple problem.

Have just got a southwind sf 17 with yamaha 115 h.p. on the back - great nick, great price from a deceased estate. Out of the water 3 years but serviced anyway, new carbies and started every month.

I tried to start it - cranked OK and wouldn't fire but fuel guage flashing empty, so no problem, I wanted new fuel anyway - I disconnected fuel line, squeezed out what fuel I could (approx 11 litres) and took it down the servo to fill up. Started to put it in and immediate blow back of fuel. 10 -15 minutes of trickling fuel only got about 20 ltres in. Gave up and took it home - boat started perfectly and runs smooth. Noticed fuel had settled down from top of filler cap, so next day went back and tried again. Filled tank to neck only - cost $1.01. Fuel guage flashing on lower mark then goes off.

I tried blowing air through both tank and breather pipe - fuel just blew back up the tank.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm thinking possibly its full, and the guage is faulty, or not full and have some sort of kink (don't know how) or otherwise blockage. Don't understand how I could only squeeze 11 litres out if it was full - I think its an 80 lt tank. If the guage is faulty I want it fixed before I take it out and also want to know just how much fuel I've got to start with. Any clues????

Thanks - Kev

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." Dave Barry

PWCDad
13-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Kev,

I had a Southwind SR17 back in '92 (new rig) with the 115 Yam ... and I remember a fuel gauge issue back then ....

From memory it was doing what you may have happening now ... i.e. tank full and the gauge showing far less or empty.

The fix was to replace the sender unit in the tank (the round fitting with sender wire attached) in my case anyway .... it could be a gauge problem as well.

From memory it was located mid tank (which was 100litres in the 17's). I think the tank cover is riveted in (once again from memory) because I remember glassing in small stainless plates drilled and tapped for 5mm stainless button heads.

From then on I could just undo the tank cover easily if another problem occurred ... It never did of course !!! And I had the boat for 5 yrs and over 250 motor hrs.
The SF/SR 17 series is very nice boat in handling and fuel efficiency ... I was using around 16 litres per hr at 4500 rpm ....with the 115.

As a side note .... check the filler line from where it is at the back of the boat (in those days they fitted them in the motor well ).
Like I suggested above ..might be time to pull the cover and check the whole system ... filler hoses, sender, tank fittings etc. IT COULD BE JUST A KINKED FILL LINE UNDER THE FLOOR ????

Another side note .... The way my boat was set up (weight etc) the stock 19" pitch prop was too tall ... I used a 17" for the bay which gave around 34 knots by GPS (Yes ! I had a GPS back in "92 ... cost a fortune and was a Marintek Seamax combo sounder and GPS, pre chart days though you had to make your own tracks)

We always water-ski'd with it ..well 2-3 times a year anyway ... I used a 15" pitch prop for skiing (in ally) the 17 was stainless jobbie ...

Regards
PWCDad

kevthommo
13-11-2007, 09:39 AM
[quote=PWCDad;712631]Kev,

"...From memory it was located mid tank (which was 100litres in the 17's). I think the tank cover is riveted in (once again from memory) because I remember glassing in small stainless plates drilled and tapped for 5mm stainless button heads.

From then on I could just undo the tank cover easily if another problem occurred ... It never did of course !!! And I had the boat for 5 yrs and over 250 motor hrs.
The SF/SR 17 series is very nice boat in handling and fuel efficiency ... I was using around 16 litres per hr at 4500 rpm ....with the 115.

Many thanks for the reply - I noticed the rivets and was thinking about replacing them with stainless screws - easier to get thru than rivets but maybe not as fiddly as setting up the button heads, espec. if probs are rare (fingers crossed!) Will get down and dirty with it as soon as and let you know. Efficiency tips appreciated too! cheers - kev