PDA

View Full Version : Road trip- Townsville to GC help!

rockcrusher
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
New here...hello everyone!

My gf and I are driving from Cardwell to the Gold Coast starting Thursday. We've got about 10 days to do it and want to fish and camp along the way. We've got a 4wd and a 4m tinny but the boat trailer isn't very 4wd worthy. The tinny is fully setup for camping. We usually beach it and pop the tent. Neither of us have spent any time along this section and we're sorta thinking first stop Airlie Beach, put the boat in at Shute Harbour and head for the islands. Weather permiting of course. Maybe 4 days exploring wherever 50ltrs of fuel will get us. Is fuel available on any of the islands? Any advise on where to go? Next stop 1770 for a couple days camping but not too sure where to take the tinny??? Our final camp we were thinking of putting the boat in at River Heads (south of Hervey Bay) and cruising over to the west coast of Fraser Island. We have no idea where to go or camp there. We're thinking of cruising from Kingfisher bay down to Garry's anchorage. I don't have any charts for that area, are there a lot of sand bars through the great sandy strait (as the name implies)? How easy is it to navigate? What are some good camp sites? I would love any suggestions or advice on any of our destinations or any recommendations on other spots along the way. Especially if we miss out on good weather at the Whitsundays.

I'm looking forward to this little community, too bad I didn't discover this site 4 months ago when I first came to Cardwell. I've been fishing the hell out of Hinchinbrook!

cheers

Alchemy
15-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi RC,

I had a 4.1m topender years ago and launched at River Heads for a camping weekend. There isn't much camping directly across from there, and we ended up under the trees and amongst the mangroves and mozzies!

Gary's is a good spot to camp though, but you'll still have the mozzies. Might be better off launching around Poona as this is closer to Gary's. The straits have stacks of shallow sand, but a good deep channel which is wide and if wind against tide can be very rough. Eg, I have taken a wave over the front of a 6m boat, so be careful in the tinnie.

Regards,
Dave.