PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Steering Cable

Luckless
11-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Just looking for some advice here. Have a 14' Ezi-Rider with a 50HP. Had a shocker last weekend and snapped the steering cable (just as we got back to the boat ramp thankfully). A closer inspection showed that the cable had corroded where the plastic sheathing had been damaged. Subsequent to this I have replaced the cable, but being conservative purchased a cable about 1 metre longer than required. Has anyone got any suggestions as to the best way to cut the cable so that it is a neat end? I was thinking about applying araldyte to the end to prevent corrosion travelling in the new cable. So far I have tried cutting the protective cover with a knife and then using wire cutters on the cable. This has given me some success but it is still a rather dog eared end. Thanks.

tigermullet
11-11-2007, 06:25 PM
You will need a pair of wire rope cutters - they cost about $30 for 4mm wire or $50 for up to 6mm. I take it that you are actually talking about a cable and pulley steering system? And are using plastic coated galvanised wire cable of approximately 3.5 mm diameter? Galvanised is much better than stainless for steering systems. Stainless looks great but you never know when it is going to 'let go'

finga
11-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Bolt cutters will work or you can get the really thin cutting discs used for stainless work to fit the 4" grinder

BM
11-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Angle grinder....