PDA

View Full Version : Tide Flow Direction

TwoJobBob
10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Heh Guys
Can anyone tell me which way the tidal flow is in Moreton Bay ( ie From/ towards South passage or Jumpinpin etc and where the demarcation line is.

tigermullet
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Very roughly - the tide flows out through the Pin bar from the northern tip of Russell Island to the north and from the mouth of the Coomera to the south.

I don't know exactly where the demarcation line lies but it is in the approximiate area. I would not bet my life on it.

TwoJobBob
10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Tiger
Yeh that was about my Guess that it flows south from about the Top of Russell Island and North from there towards South passage or the Top of Moreton. I had a feeling it may be marked on some charts somewhere?

seatime
10-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Tidal flows can be complex at times - V interesting.
Depending on obstructions created by channels, sandbanks, islands etc, some areas can have the ebb flowing at a tangent to the flood and not the direct opposite direction, or vice versa.

tigermullet
10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
That's very true! Whalleys Gutter is one example - it floods and ebbs in both directions but the dividing line can vary quite a bit. Probably depending upon the rate of flow - and that big sand bank that a friend is fond of hitting.

One day he will learn but I'm not holding my breath;D

oldboot
10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
the ther are places wher it does funny stuff like on the wester side of wellington point.... on the rising tide i've seen it flow from north to south across the bar... the close to the top of the tide come back the other way.

cheers