PDA

View Full Version : 75 honda or 75 Evinrude etec ??

pom10
10-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I am looking to buy Seascape 4.85 Kinfisher sideconsole but cant decide on the motor for the boat Any help or info on either motor would help
, Cheers
Gary:-/

manchild
10-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Both motor is exellent ,i assume the honda is a 4st .Go with the one that has a closest reputable dealer close to you.
George

russ81
10-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Hows it going mate
i have a 115 etec and couldnt be happier the no dealer maintainance for 3 yrs is a plus as well

Shanoss
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
you would have to have rocks in your head to not take your motor to a dealer for a service for three years. Especially with all of this so called "new technology". I reckon you would be flat out pulling it apart after three years. Unless of course BRP have stunbled onto a new intergalatic corrosion free metal.

rumy1
10-11-2007, 11:34 PM
If it were me, I would go the Honda ...... why ?
Because they have been proven over many years now.

BM
11-11-2007, 07:59 AM
The 3 yrs no scheduled maintenance concept is ordained by the manufacturer so to take it in prior to the 3 yrs would be rather anal really. And waiting the 3 yrs to go in would not constitute "rocks in your head".

By all means if theres an issue with something you take it back. Also, in that period the owner should be checking things themselves. A basic look under the cowl will give an untrained eye an idea if everything "looks as it should" or if theres a cable sticking out here or an oil leak there etc etc

Likewise the prop should be removed every few months or so to check for line caught around the propshaft. This is the most common cause of gearcase leaks. This is particularly important these days since the line cutter seals on some gearboxes aren't able to cut the new style braided lines.

Mind you, the owners of ALL brand of engines should be doing these things in between services. Its the difference between say a simple shaft seal replacement or a major gearbox rebuild.

Personally I'd take the Etec over the Honda. The Etec is not new technology. Direct injection has been around for awhile now although each manufacturer does theres a different way.

I do prefer 2 strokes to 4 strokes and more importantly I like engines that are more resistant to corrosion.

Cheers

Spaniard_King
11-11-2007, 08:18 AM
BM,

As you would know outboard brands move forward not backwards. Honda have adressed there deficiencies in the corrosion area and now have a very good anti corrosion system in place. Having worked on several brands IMO honda uses the best in materials for there products and are second to none in quality. The 75 honda is a fuel injested engine and a brilliant performer too boot, backed up by a 5 year warranty. Try to test drive both engines or go with the engine which has good dealer support in your area.

Lutjanus johnii
11-11-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd go the Honda, Only because of the rumors I have heard about Etecs not lasting if you troll allot.

pom10
11-11-2007, 08:33 AM
cheers for the info would any have any idea on the service cost of the etec after 3 years and the costing for the oil for the etec ( My last last motor was a 40 hp Honda and never had any problems except the tell tail would clog up on the odd time with small pieces of sand but that was very easly fixed .
Gary

Spaniard_King
11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Someone posted on another post stating it was like $350.00 for 20 litres of XD 100

disorderly
11-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Only because of the rumors I have heard about Etecs .

rumours huh.....
I heard a rumour that John howard was really gay.So I'm not going to vote for him.....

pom10,

I have a 90 E-tec which i think is the same 3 cyl motor as the 75.
Oil has cost around $1.60 per hour for my first 130 hours using the xd100 synthetic oil and I am really happy with the motor.
As for rumours,well, when you delve a bit deeper most that I have seen on ausfish seem to be started or perpetuated by guys with rival brands(particularly those that own 4 strokes)and most of the misinformation about them seems to come from guys that dont or havent even owned one.

Scott

Steven78
11-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Here we go again. Facts only please first had imformation please. XD100 oil works out to be the same price as Quick Silver when the motor is working at about 150-1. And yes try buy 20l of Quick Silver oil and see how much it cost's. I used to own a merc and the gear box died before i even go it in the water and the dealer treated me like SH-t. I used to buy Qucik Silver oil then i now i use less oil in my 90 now. Its all about how the dealer you chose.

Gear box problem
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=69778

Steven78
11-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Here is a post from a few years ago that might help

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=69769

BM
11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Garry (Spaniard)

A fellow mechanic contracts to a Honda dealer here in Melb and in a recent conversation I asked him how things were going in terms of corrosion.

I must admit we were talking larger engines but he mentioned there were still issues with cylinder heads and blocks on the larger engines.

That surprised me as it has been a few yrs since those initial problems surfaced.

Cheers

crab man
11-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Go the honda im a pro fishermen have two 90hp hondas with 3,000 hr a motor never get problems they have been good to me and 3,000 hr is a life time for the reco fisher Cheers Craig

Spaniard_King
11-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Nick,

I have a couple of 225s on my books with 3500 hrs with no problems with cyl head corrosion, these are in the water 24/7 too. I think any outboard will suffer corrosion problems if their anodes arn't properly maintained.

Lutjanus johnii
11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
As for rumors,well, when you delve a bit deeper most that I have seen on ausfish seem to be started or perpetuated by guys with rival brands(particularly those that own 4 strokes)and most of the misinformation about them seems to come from guys that don't or haven't even owned one.

Scott

Yea I understand Scott but, I also will be in the market for one of these motors very soon. I am still considering the E-tec because of it's low weight/hp. I just wanted to ask if anyone had heard the same or experienced the problem with spark plugs or overheating. It was just some news I had heard from some guys that owned one (150hp). Maybe it has nothing to do with the smaller motors???
I just wanted to raise the point because it is the only thing that is stopping me saving the extra bucks to get one.:-/

Maybe I will go through the old posts. Didn't really want to. My wife says I spend to much time on here as it is.:'(

capt
11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
cheers for the info would any have any idea on the service cost of the etec after 3 years and the costing for the oil for the etec ( My last last motor was a 40 hp Honda and never had any problems except the tell tail would clog up on the odd time with small pieces of sand but that was very easly fixed .
Gary
Hey Pom,
you just answered your question. Your previous Honda served you well.... and why not , they are very well engineered........never had a problem with the ones Iv'e had............Jimmy

leezor
11-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda all the way, atleast they have the balls to back their product up for 5 years.

Shanoss
11-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Dont be sucked in by the Etec hype mate. You'll find that other Etec owners just want other people to feel as silly as they do.

disorderly
11-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Dont be sucked in by the Etec hype mate. You'll find that other Etec owners just want other people to feel as silly as they do.

You know shane, thats actually quite funnyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Not true of course,but still pretty funny.

Ripples
11-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Not convinced that you could not service ,check your E TEC for a three year period /just seems to long between regular inspections.

leezor
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
You know shane, thats actually quite funnyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Not true of course,but still pretty funny.

Big mistake there Scott, never tell Shane he is funny. There will be no end to his gags now.:'(

disorderly
11-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Big mistake there Scott, never tell Shane he is funny. There will be no end to his gags now.:'(

Oh buggahttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Shanoss
11-11-2007, 07:35 PM
it takes me weeks to think of something funny. I usually have to go and watch Lee play cricket for some inspiration.

Wahoo
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
go the Etec in MHO

Daz

BM
11-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Garry,

Happy to stand corrected at any time mate! I must admit I was surprised by the admissions of my mate and I trust his comments precisely.

Perhaps he has an alternate agenda? I will never know I guess.

Irrespective of that, Honda are not at the top of my list but thats personal choice only and nothing more.

Cheers

KAGEY1
15-11-2007, 08:38 PM
;D Lets not talk about a few years ago. Let's talk about now! No dealer scheduled service for 3 years, is different to no service for 300 hrs! Who, as a rec fisho is going to do 300 hrs in 3 yrs? b***sh*t! 100-150 hrs average. So, save money and buy the e-tec. You can start your motor with a flat battery. You don't have to replace timing belts or compressor belts. The oil costs are minimal and you have more grunt. I purchased mine despite the tragic attempts of individuals on this site, with tunnel vision and minimal experience to persuade me otherwise.
We are all afraid of change, but it is about time we started to be positive on this forum instead of bagging the unknown.
F.E.A.R
= False Expectations Appearing Real
cheers, Geoff

cormorant
15-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Not convinced that you could not service ,check your E TEC for a three year period /just seems to long between regular inspections.

It is not "no service" for 3 years it is no dealer service. You still need to grease the prop shaft and do simple maintainance and check annodes like any other outboard. What they are saying is that there is no oil changes ( but you still have to top up the tank) , no tappets to adjust, no linkage adjustments , no spark plugs, no gear oil changes ( but you still check for water in it and any fishing line around seals), no cam belts to change or chains to adjust, no oil filter but obviously keep an eye on petrol quality and filter . Anyone who ran any machinery for 300 hours or 3 years without looking at it is an idiot and should expect to eventually be stranded regardless of brand.

Most etec owners will still do regular self inspections or ask a dealer to do so but it will be a small labor charge and few if any parts or consumable. No tuning , no carbs as all adjustments are done electronically. They will probably have the above done if there is new software updates avaliable when they drop into the dealer.

Don't take any brands advertising as gospell regarless of claims in videos etc. The reason advertising exists is to show a percieved benefit of their product. Always link it to your actual circumstances.

With any motor it is about understanding your boat and how you use it. Get the motor that has the right torque at effecient revs for your expected general cruise speed as that is the most important thing in day to day boating that will give you good ecconomy. Your propeller can make an immense difference to this sweet spot of motor use so keep looking at others who have similar rigs and see which set up suits. Top speed and holeshot are all well and good for a specific purpose but if you are pointless in day to day fishing.

Whatever don't end up underpowered or with a motor that is incorrectly set up and labouring a you preferred cruise speed which is of course affected by the type of conditions on the water you travel on.
Hope this helps.