PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Hydrofoil to Evinrude Outboard

Bilopete
10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a Evinrude 35hp (tiller) on a 3.4m Seajay

I've noticed when going alone fishing that I can't see over the bow until I get on the plane. Friends have suggested getting a hydrofoil to get on the plane a lot quicker , so I purchased myself a set of LZ-Hydrofoils from BCF today.

My outboard must have previously had a hydrofoil on it as there are 4 holes on the "whatere you call it horizontal plate' above the prop. Unfortunately the holes on the outboard don't match the holes on the LZ Hydrofoil.

My questions are:
Should these be standard spaced holes?
If not do I need to drill new ones or should I look at the G2 hydrofoils or other brands instead?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Bilopete

(Edit) I forgot to mention that there were no instructions with the hydrofoils so please don't refer me to there!

tigermullet
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't think that you are going to get standard spaced holes. Just drill new ones. It should not be necessary to fill the old holes but, if you want, just fill them with builders bog. The cavitation plate on one motor we had was filled with builders bog and there was never a problem. Builders bog seems to be inert and not cause corrosion.

I am not familiar with the type of foil that you have bought but have always preferred aluminium foils because they do not disort under pressure. You can get quite a surprise from plastic foils flexing in a hard turn.;D

Bilopete
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think that you are going to get standard spaced holes. Just drill new ones. It should not be necessary to fill the old holes but, if you want, just fill them with builders bog. The cavitation plate on one motor we had was filled with builders bog and there was never a problem. Builders bog seems to be inert and not cause corrosion.

I am not familiar with the type of foil that you have bought but have always preferred aluminium foils because they do not disort under pressure. You can get quite a surprise from plastic foils flexing in a hard turn.;D

I've tried finding reviews of different hydrofoils. particuarly the LZ and G2 (approx $50) but not having much success.

The only thing that worries me is if the hydrofoils need to be adjusted in any way, 'cause I don't want to start drilling holes in the captivation plate everytime it needs tweaking.

Cheers
Bilopete :)

tigermullet
10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't think that much, if any, adjustment will be necessary. After using them on several motors there never seemed to be any adjustment needed.

I still use them on a small motor and found them to be a disadvantage on only one particular boat and motor combination.

Apart from that one combination they were very good and never gave a problem.

boney-leg
10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I had the bolts react over time (9 years) and fracture the cav plate. If I was doing it again I would try and sleeve them.

tez1
10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
hi bilopete,i use the LALIZAS..LZ hydro on my 90 they work great on my 4.5 1/2 cab really gets the ass out of the water,go here http://www.lalizas.com/faqs.asp?fcid=20 to have a look at the mounting posi,scroll down to see the piccy's.

cheers tez

Bilopete
11-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I had the bolts react over time (9 years) and fracture the cav plate. If I was doing it again I would try and sleeve them.

Wnat do you mean by sleeve them?

tigermullet
11-11-2007, 05:44 AM
Sleeving them means to put something between the stainless steel bolts and cavitation plate - pieces of plastic tube will do the trick. And use fibre or plastic washers below the nut or washer as well.

We got around the problem by using lanolin grease. It was just for experimental purposes but has worked very well. You would need to take the foil off every so often to check that corrosion was not occuring.

There is also a paint that you can buy (the name escapes me at the moment) but it does insulate dissimilar metals.

johnathon joe
11-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Have a look at Permatrim hydrofoil as they are made of aluminium and are not drilled. You should be able to mark position and drill holes to suit. Using Duralac on the screws prevents corrosion. Permatrim foils are powder coated to match outboard colour but are more expensive. I guess you pay for what you get in the end .

finga
11-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Have a look at the permatrim or Lazer foil and then go to a sheet alloy shop and get them to cut and fold a similar one for you.
Not exactly the smae mind you because that would be breach of that copyright or patent thingo.
The sheet metal shops in Rocky probably already have a template ready to rock and roll.
You can match the holes then
Here's one I made for my dad and Aussiefool out of 3mm.
Clean and paint the existing holes before fitting and use duralac or lanolin grease around the bolts and you should have any problems.

Smithy
11-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Go the LZ foils. We have stuck them on numerous boats making some dogs into great handling boats. Just mount them so the back of the edge of the foil is somewhere near the back edge of the cav plate for maximum benefit. Don't worry about the old holes unless you can make use of one for the new foil. There is no standard hole pattern for them.

seamaid
14-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Mate

If you only purchase the boat or had it for a short while i would contact the previous owner or dealer, if no information comes to light, maybe take a patten of hole spacing & see your biggest chandler in your area.
For information what its worth i have SE300 fitted to a 60hp E/ TEC on a 4.55 Quintrex it really helps up on the plane
8-) GED

1975fflh
16-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Mate I have an SE 300 sports on my 90hp Johnno 1999 and its the ducks guts even thinking about putting one on the 9.9 for the tinnie.

Dezzer
16-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Probably a silly question but if hydrofoils improve performance so much, why don't the manufacturers fit an adjustable type as standard.

artesian
16-11-2007, 11:01 PM
first, trim the boat by moving heavy stuff up to the bow.

If that doesnt work, use incralac or echolac (one too many glasses of red) to prevent electrolysis between the stainless screws and the mystery alloy the cav plate is made from

aussiefool
17-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Have a look at the permatrim or Lazer foil and then go to a sheet alloy shop and get them to cut and fold a similar one for you.
Not exactly the smae mind you because that would be breach of that copyright or patent thingo.
The sheet metal shops in Rocky probably already have a template ready to rock and roll.
You can match the holes then
Here's one I made for my dad and Aussiefool out of 3mm.
Clean and paint the existing holes before fitting and use duralac or lanolin grease around the bolts and you should have any problems.

Yep gotta agree the best this I have ever put onto my boat. Before I put the foil on it was a dog to get out of the water but now it jumps out and onto the plane