PDA

View Full Version : White Powder

falcon01
10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi guys just wondering if anyone can tell me I have white like powder stuff only at the bottom of the boat in the mid section along were the water flows out when you wash it. There very small patchs you can get it off with a bit of elbow Grease tastes very salty and the boat is a ally craft 3.75 cody no floors has battery but only goes in the boat when used have sikaflexed or duralaced every bolt on it. So no metal is touching the hull I also did the transom bolts any suggestions as to what it is. very small patches would be like no bigger than a 5c pieces.

Mac_Attack
10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
My view is you have spilt something in the boat either when you where rigging up or driving to the boat ramp and you have just flushed it out of the back. I am sorry thats the only explanation i could come up with.
Cheers Nick 8-)

falcon01
10-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi just a update it is a chalky residue just worried it may be some sort of corrison

dnej
10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
A pic would help
David

falcon01
11-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi Some Pics 15834 15835 15836 thanks guys

artesian
11-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Did you leave something in the boat there, raincoat, carpet etc?

Failing that, call allycraft, they are on the Gold Coast

falcon01
11-11-2007, 02:17 AM
no nothing the boat is stored in a shed washed after every use

luckyone
11-11-2007, 04:51 AM
first signs of electrolsus clean it off and ligtly oil it and check you have no earthing though batterys and your house as this will cause this hope this helps

Keechie
11-11-2007, 05:16 AM
hi
personally i believe that it is the salt in the ocean when it has dried out when you have been driving along but still if you wash it out i thoughht it would disapear anyway thats my opinion.

regards,
keechie

tigermullet
11-11-2007, 05:32 AM
The pics show more than just crystallised salt. It looks like corrosion coming from wet carpet left in contact with the hull. Glue residue coming from some marine carpets will do that even if you remove the carpet after each trip. We had that problem on our boat but, wanting to retain the carpet, painted the floor where it came into contact. That fixed it.

falcon01
11-11-2007, 08:05 AM
guys this is a open boat and has no carpet in it and the battery comes out after every fishing trip the only other thought i have is the bolts that hold the boat to the trasom I sikaflexed so there is no way the hull can use the anoides should I take the sikaflex of them

falcon01
11-11-2007, 08:06 AM
and also sorry what would I use to clean it off

Eagle
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
It looks like a salty liquid of some sort has been spilt or left in the hull. Do you wash the boat out with bore water? Most bore water is high in calcium carbonates and will precipitate out as a whitish looking salt residue when the water has dried out.
It can also be aluminium oxide thats forming on the surface from oxidation of the metal itself. Try cleaning it with a pad of stainless steel "wool" and washing all traces of the oxidation off the hull. Dry it thouroughly and watch carefully every day to see if something is dripping or leaking into the hull. Keep a good airflow around the boat to ensure a free flow supply of oxygen. Aluminium is similar to stainless steel in that it needs a film of oxide on it to stop further deterioration. Its the initial film of oxide that makes it so difficult to make paint adhere to aluminium that we use an "etch primer" first. However, in your case, I would be looking for an exterior source of contamination. Check the content of your water supply first for acids, salts, metalic compounds etc. A water sample given to the DPI should do the job and give you a basic start to the problem. Lets us all know how you get on.
Joe