PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Problem

Ratman
10-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi all,

I have a 2 x 1994 Johnson V4 115 2 strokes.

Kicked it on the guts after three weeks gathering dust. It took a number of attempts before I got it running using some choke. It finally fired and blew heaps of smoke and was revving a little high, 1500, and after a few minutes settled down at 1000rpm. Smoke dropped off and sounded all good. Temp normal.

Walked past the motor a few hours later and saw a snail trail of black oily stuff running down the skeg. Pulled the prop off and the seal looked ok so started it again and hardly any smoke this time, no choke needed, and sounded fine.

Checked back 30minutes later and the same again, black oily substance running down. Checked under the cowl and looks ok. Checked the plugs and they looked normal. There was a slightly dark staining at exhaust ports.

I did give it a good spray of Inox and also some degeaser a few weeks ago.

Could this be the cause? I don't believe that I flooded it? The other motor was treated the same and no problems. It did however start a lot easier.

Any suggestions thanks?

Mick

finga
10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Check the oil in the gearbox and see if it's the same colour (it won't be...it'll be clear).
If it's the same colour hit the panic button.
It's most probably unburnt oil from the fuel coming out the exhaust.
Fairly common. :)
Do you run the carbs dry after flushing??

BM
10-11-2007, 08:52 AM
As mentioned this is not uncommon and is sludge being washed out of the exhaust system.

Ratman
10-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Gents,

No I don't run them dry but can do if that would help. Its a VRO.

Checked the gear box oil and it good as gold. Just been replaced.

Thanks,

Mick