PDA

View Full Version : good fast seaworthy hull

gar26lw
10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
hi,

i currently have a haines v15r which i find to be a great little boat. i can drive hard and fast through most chop. in fact it seems to go better the quicker i go.

problem is im starting to outgrow it and wouldnt mind some more space for passengers. im wanting to broaden my horizons and get out into the ocean more and across to moreton.

im wondering what would best suit a guy who likes to go hard in all weather, within reaon obviously.
most of the time the boat is used for island hopping and occasoinal camping & fishing.

ive taken a look at some bowriders but all the american ones dont look to have the best of hulls. in fact most of what ive test driven pales in comparison to my little haines.

so far im thinking an old v17 hull with a new engine or a signature 530 - 610br, possibly a signature 1800s

does anyone know of any other hulls that might suit me? and if i went with a 610br is it wise to go with a sterndrive or should i really try and find an ob one?

thanks

Spaniard_King
10-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Eden craft, but you wont find a second hand one

Vitamin Sea
10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
G'day

Stick with the brand you have, only bigger

Haines 17C, L or R
Haines 565L
Haines 19C, R, or L
Haines 213 C
Haines 635 L

All these boats perform very well at speed in typical Moreton Bay chop, you are correct when you say the harder you hit it the better it goes, mine is the same.

The difficult part is finding a good one.

The Edencraft SK is refering to is based on the early Haines hull.

Next choice would be a Seafarer Victory.

Don't like signatures much, different boat all together than the original Haines.

My biased opinion

Cheers

BM
10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Bertram 20. Excellent sea boat. Sterndrive from the factory but can be made to work well with a proper pod setup.

Best sterndrive engine is the 470 series (170-190hp), 4 cylinder, alloy block, freshwater cooled.

Up there with the best of the offshore performers.

I'm fully restoring one presently.

Cheers

Vitamin Sea
10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Bertram 20. Excellent sea boat. Sterndrive from the factory but can be made to work well with a proper pod setup.

Best sterndrive engine is the 470 series (170-190hp), 4 cylinder, alloy block, freshwater cooled.

Up there with the best of the offshore performers.

I'm fully restoring one presently.

Cheers

G'day Nick

Agree, also a very good hull with the s'drive, very similar to Haines.

Do you have any pics of the boat that you are doing up, would be interesting

Cheers

Bill

death_ship
10-11-2007, 09:38 AM
looks like its the computer for all today.....shitty weather

BM
10-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Bill,

If you wander over to f'net and search under "Project Berty" you should find the topic and some links there. I will try to attach some here in the coming days.

The timeframe for completion was aiming at Christmas. A tad ambitious as its hard to find the time to fit it in around the paying customers boats.

Vitamin Sea
10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
looks like its the computer for all today.....shitty weather

Thats the one Brett

Am going to pull the boat off and give the trailer the once over with Tectyl, might go for a quick run around green or somewhere while I'm waiting for it to dry

Sick of this weather

death_ship
10-11-2007, 10:06 AM
sounds good love to go for a spin but i gotta do some stuff
i like those bertys too

gar26lw
10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
G'day

Stick with the brand you have, only bigger

Haines 17C, L or R
Haines 565L
Haines 19C, R, or L
Haines 213 C
Haines 635 L

All these boats perform very well at speed in typical Moreton Bay chop, you are correct when you say the harder you hit it the better it goes, mine is the same.

The difficult part is finding a good one.

The Edencraft SK is refering to is based on the early Haines hull.

Next choice would be a Seafarer Victory.

Don't like signatures much, different boat all together than the original Haines.

My biased opinion

Cheers

thanks, I tried a signature but it seemed to get very fllighty unless trimmed in to the max. it felt very light compared too the old haines.

i have been looking for old haines's for a while now, they are very hard to find. every time i see a good one its 1000's of kms from me :)

are any of the other seafarers any good too?

thanks for all the replies guys

Vitamin Sea
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
thanks, I tried a signature but it seemed to get very fllighty unless trimmed in to the max. it felt very light compared too the old haines.

i have been looking for old haines's for a while now, they are very hard to find. every time i see a good one its 1000's of kms from me :)

are any of the other seafarers any good too?

thanks for all the replies guys

Hi

Yep, the Sig's are a lot lighter compared to the older Haines, hence one of the reasons for the different ride.

Good older ones ( Haines ) do come up, you just have to wait, took me quite a while to find one.

Pretty well all Seafarers are good boats, you do pay for them though.

Happy hunting

Cheers

gar26lw
10-11-2007, 12:01 PM
hmm, does anyone have any info on the v15 boats?

weight, max hp and the safe limits of the boat.
where would people here feel comfortable going and in what conditions?

thanks, great forum guys

gar26lw
10-11-2007, 03:17 PM

yep, after a look at their website, definately looks to be what I'm after. great to see the pics of the construction. I didn't relise they were made down the road at biggera waters.

i see what you mean about second hand, I cant find any. i assume they hold their value very well so i guess new isnt so bad of a hit off the floor?

are all edencraft boats old haines hulls? if so do you know which edencraft matches which haines model?

cheers

berger
20-11-2007, 03:12 PM
yep, after a look at their website, definately looks to be what I'm after. great to see the pics of the construction. I didn't relise they were made down the road at biggera waters.

i see what you mean about second hand, I cant find any. i assume they hold their value very well so i guess new isnt so bad of a hit off the floor?

are all edencraft boats old haines hulls? if so do you know which edencraft matches which haines model?

cheers
i bought a edencraft 565 about 6 months ago new (i ve got a 175hp optimax )top boat does 85 to 90km per hour its a flying machinei got a easy tow trailer drives on beutifully handles chop well but. any boat in certain type of chop will bang a bit but overall a top ring cost me about $60k all up with custom stainless bimini snapper racks etc anyway just thought i would post a bit of info the hull weight is 920kg has extra rovings and glass has a 10 years warranty so you cant go wrong

berger
22-11-2007, 04:54 PM
i bought a edencraft 565 about 6 months ago new (i ve got a 175hp optimax )top boat does 85 to 90km per hour its a flying machinei got a easy tow trailer drives on beutifully handles chop well but. any boat in certain type of chop will bang a bit but overall a top ring cost me about $60k all up with custom stainless bimini snapper racks etc anyway just thought i would post a bit of info the hull weight is 920kg has extra rovings and glass has a 10 years warranty so you cant go wrong
sorry i meant 50k

snelly1971
22-11-2007, 10:50 PM

They often pop up down our way Garry...alot of commercial divers use them and upgrade fairly often...but they do come with normally huge power...eg...there was a 6 meter edencraft with twin 200 v6 Mercurys....78 miles per hour she would pull....

Mick

gar26lw
22-11-2007, 11:29 PM
sorry i meant 50k

dam, thought I was gonna get the deal of the century with my quote.. :)

what price did you pay for your 16rs opti and where did you find it?

cheers berger

Spaniard_King
23-11-2007, 01:12 PM
They often pop up down our way Garry...alot of commercial divers use them and upgrade fairly often...but they do come with normally huge power...eg...there was a 6 meter edencraft with twin 200 v6 Mercurys....78 miles per hour she would pull....

Mick

Thats not a bad thing mick.. buy the boat and ya can take 1 donk off and keep it for a spare :)

Rod Fishing
23-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Mate I have a 1996 Haines sig 600LE and i cant fault it have been out in some pretty ordinary weather in Townsville when it was blowing up too 30Knts. She handled it fine.

Cheers Rod....

berger
23-11-2007, 05:22 PM
dam, thought I was gonna get the deal of the century with my quote.. :)

what price did you pay for your 16rs opti and where did you find it?

cheers berger
bought it off ebay for 12grand the guy bought for his swiftcraft but didnt check the transom weight so he couldnt use it.it weighs about 208kg. i would have put a 200hp on it the seems to more of them on the market. but the max now for 565s is 175hp .some thing about some law where the culculated the length,width etc to rate the hp. so if you put bigger ,you void you warranty