PDA

View Full Version : Trim & tilt gauge

ovakil
09-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm going to redo dash on my boat,and unsure whether I should put the trim gauge back in.It hasn't worked since I've had boat.The last owner showed me whist test driving to look out back to see there was no spray coming up from motor.
Should I get gauge fixed?
What do most people do?
As I'm fairly new to boat's as well.
Thanks

shappy
09-11-2007, 07:49 PM
g'day ovakil, about to do some remodeling myself. having the guage i guess saves you turning your head around, are they costly? if on a budget you could manage without it

cheers, shappy

Marlin_Mike
09-11-2007, 07:54 PM
you can tell some motors by the sound and revs

Mike

yamp
09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
I left my off my tinny, I didn't really think it would be much use I just watch my tacho and how much spray along the side of the boat,I try to have as little of the hull in the water as possible when I'm planing in good conditions,and trim in to get nose into wave when needed ,when you are adjusting trim all the time you can hear and feel when the boats trimming right,so I don't think the gauge is much use cheers Yamp

BM
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Typically trim gauges don't go bung its the trim sender itself.

They can be expensive depending on the type of sender unit. What engine do you have? Some can be repaired. Some can be a fault not caused by the sender unit but by the loss of a roll pin in the upper union of the tilt ram (some Mercs).

You could also replace it with an hour meter or a volt gauge.

Cheers

tigermullet
09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Ours still works but is hardly ever looked at. When I really need it I don't trust it all that much anyway and only use it for a few seconds before checking that the motor is deep enough to pump water. Should it give trouble I would not bother to replace it.

Roughasguts
09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I got one, and it works. But I never use it basically it's useless for trimming the motor. Cause you trim the motor to a certain speed, nose up for 20 knots nose down for 40 kts and the trim gauge that won't tell you that.

All you really wan't is the motor to be 90 degrees to the water, trim gauge once again won't tell you that when you vary you speed.

So get a water pressure gauge or a water temp gauge, much better to keep an eye on those.

ovakil
10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Mariner 175,have already have hour meter,temp,fuel.
When I redo dash I think I will leave it out.
Thanks again

BM
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Your trim guage should be screwed to the port side of the tilt ram upper mount. Check that the roll pin hasn't fallen out of the cross pin which holds the ram secure. If the roll pin has fallen out the cross pin wont rotate as the engine trims up and down and the sender won't work.

Check the wiring from the sender also for breaks or disconnections.

Unscrew the 2 philips screws that retain the sender and with the igniton on (assuming the trim guage is wired in) rotate the tang protruding from the sender in a circular motion. If the sender is ok you will see the guage needle rise and fall.

Cheers

ovakil
18-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Just had a look at sender on motor,completly seized & corroded.It fell apart when I unscrewed it.
Also snapped one bolt when taking off >:(

Seahorse
18-11-2007, 06:41 PM
i use mine. i know by guage where motor is trimmed. just one of those things i guess. mine was there from new and just use it.
i usally use it with the tacho.
whether its right or wrong.

cheers
greg

polky
18-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I also use mine espicialy as I do a lot of night fishing,and at certian speeds and trim the boat performs at its best. We travel 60nm to the reefs so at night quick glance at gauge reminds me if motor is trimed in or out. Same as Seahorse had it there from new so I just got into the habbit of using it. Polky.

BM
19-11-2007, 06:54 AM
From memory they aren't too dear to replace Ovakil. Unless its a Honda. I recall pricing one for a guy some time back and it was something like $700 for the trim sender!!!

ovakil
20-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Where would be a good place to get one?I live on southside of Brissy.

trueblue
20-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I use mine all the time - very useful. Wouldn't be without it.

Cheers

Mick