PDA

View Full Version : Dual Cab Trayback 4X4

boatboy50
06-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a 97 Pajero NL 3.5 petrol which I did a lot of research on and thought it was what I needed.

Since owning it for a few months, I am now thinking about trading it.

I'm now thinking a trayback dual cab ute will suit my needs a bit better but i'm not sure.

My dilemma is I need a ute to carry crap, and a 4x4 to tow the boat.

The vehicles i've thought of as a replacement are a Mitsubishi Triton (is this the old 3.0L pajero motor), Holden Rodeo, Nissan Navara ect.

I am however concerned about the capability of these small engined trucks to tow decent weight. I want the ability to tow 2.3T safely if I need to, and regularly tow up to 2.0T. Will they do it, or will one be better than the others?

I would be looking at around the $10-14k mark, so not after a new truck (maybe about 2000), just something affordable and decent, without a clapped out motor.

Any thoughts guys?

Regards

Darren

mini696
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Most of those cars will tow that weight short distances. You will most likely have to upgrade the standard tow bar arrangement to handle such a large load.

I wouldn't be towing that much weight on the beach or over rough ground or long distances.

The turbo's on the diesels are tiny (think super super small), so an upgraded turbo would help tremendously with your towing capacity.

The difference in power between a new and old car is not a huge amount either, the engine capacity is not very different too.