PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery System Setup --HELP!!!

TwoJobBob
06-11-2007, 04:56 PM
:-/ Hi Guys
Have Just bought a bigger Boat ( Alleycraft 5.4 1/2 Cab) for the family and recently had a dual battery sytem installed. I think they stuffed up when they Installed it but knowing very little about electric stuff I'm not sure! The setup is as follows
1. Start Battery ( No2 ) ( Motor Only I Think) & House Battery No 1 ( All other Accesories) are connected via a VSR and 4 way Battery Switch. When I switch to No 1 Motor it Starts ( Naturally) and when I switch to No2, Motor also starts. Is this correct?
2. Also want to know how I go about charging them with a 240V charger. Do I need to disconnect them or can I just turn the Battery selector switch to off so it doesnt wreck my electronics. Will this harm the vsr? and will it charge both batteries simultaneously

Have asked the Guys who installed it ( Leisure Marine ) I know NOW I shouldnt Have let them touch it but thats another story but i keep getting told different things and I dont think they really know what they are doing. They have connected an earth lead to the wrong battery so I just found out.

Any help would be gretaly appreciated as I am new to this sort of stuff
Thanks

finga
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Is it a four way battery switch with 1, both, 2 and off marked on it??
Sorry but some more info needed before the full picture can be seen. :)
Does all the electrics work when on either 1 and 2 or just 1??
Sounds like the motor and electrics are connected together

TwoJobBob
06-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Finga
Thanks for the Quick reply
Has a four way Battery Switch.
No The accesorries only work off 1

Hamish73
06-11-2007, 06:16 PM
sounds right to me.
IMO You need to be able to start off either battery or it's a waste of time having a dual battery system.
To see if it is cranking from the battery you think it is, remove the earth on the other battery and see if it starts

If you have a high quality 240 battery charger with over voltage protection, it wont harm your electronics or VSR. Connect the charger to the cranking battery and when it is charged the VSR will turn on and charge the house battery.

TwoJobBob
06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks Hamish
Yeh I realise what you say but was curious that it still starts off either one when No 1& 2 werent selected.

Ita a proJecta and has the protection thingy I think!

Hamish73
06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
no worries
I can come and suss it out one day if u like.
We can 'tong' the cables tio determine exactly what current is coming from which battery

TwoJobBob
06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks Hamish

Its going back to them on Friday to fix the Earth Lead so I'll have them check it all out. I just wanted to get some info so they cant BS me

TwoJobBob
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
When I 240V charge the Batteries do I need to turn the 4 Way Swich to Off to safeguard the Electronics ?

finga
06-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Ask them for a circuit diagram so YOU have a record for future reference.
Ask them what is supposed to happen when the switch is in every position AND this should be what you want to happen.
The motor doesn't go when everything is turned off does it??

TwoJobBob
06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
No Nothin happens when its all off. I asked them today but the service manager was away when the Job was done and the Guy that did it suddenly lost his memory so that is why its goin back

rumy1
06-11-2007, 08:50 PM
If there is a VSR installed then why do you even need to have the 4 way switch ?
I have a VSR installed and once the main starter battery is fully charged it automatically switches to charging the 2nd deep cycle battery I have installed.
I don't have to worry about, "do I switch to position 1 or 2 or both !!"
The VSR will allow for no 2 battery to be flattened but will make sure there is alway enough power left in battery No 1 to start the motor. If there is a problem with battery No 1, and you can't start your motor, there is a manual over-ride switch so you can start off battery No 2.
I say, get rid of the 4 position switch !!

TwoJobBob
07-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Rumy
The Battery switch was Installed so I can turn the whole lot off when at home cos the Kids have a habit of playing with switches! I will just leave in on 1 or off most of the time anyway. How do you charge your batteries through the VSR, Is it safe to leave everything connected ?

bootyou
23-02-2008, 02:41 AM
look mate if the alternator charges the batteries why would there be a problem with using a charger????? secondly you have on off switches on most accessories and also fuses I just hook the charger directly to the batteries on mine I dont have a VSR also don't know what one is I have a 1 & 2 manual switch because i have so many nic nacks in my boat my engine and gauges run from the engine wire on the two way switch and my cabin lights and all other things run of my first battery direct and I keep my second battery free I also set my battery switch to both all the time even for charging. never had a problem.

Captain Seaweed
23-02-2008, 06:13 AM
just for the record, when not in use i leave all my electronics off and leave my battery switch in the both position and plug my charger into any of the 12v outlets on my boat and leave it on charge. It hasnt affected my electronics. I went to battery world and bought a 3 or 4 stage charger and it cost me $90.
Marty

TheRealAndy
23-02-2008, 08:38 AM
look mate if the alternator charges the batteries why would there be a problem with using a charger????? secondly you have on off switches on most accessories and also fuses I just hook the charger directly to the batteries on mine I dont have a VSR also don't know what one is I have a 1 & 2 manual switch because i have so many nic nacks in my boat my engine and gauges run from the engine wire on the two way switch and my cabin lights and all other things run of my first battery direct and I keep my second battery free I also set my battery switch to both all the time even for charging. never had a problem.

The problem using the charger is that it does not supply as much current as the alternator and if it is a smart charger then the mechanism it uses to sense if the battery is charged will be affected by current being drawn from electronics on the boat.

dnej
23-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Two Bob Job,
As indicated above,you switch only selects which battery you want to use for the job.
There is a common outlet,that is your power out. Normally,in some form,all accessoroes,and the motor are connected to the common.
As finga said,can you post a pic
David

PWCDad
23-02-2008, 11:43 AM
If you want to see a good circuit diagram on how it should be done ... pop down to local newsagent this arvo and grab F &B's "Plate Alloy Boats of Australia".

Has great DC "How to" on Page 138-140 for novices.

Even shows how to hook up a 4 way .... with Solar Panel feed (charging) and a battery charger feed (charging) with a twin battery set-up.

Then it shows the same system with a VSR added ....

Worth the $20 and great reading the rest of the book anyway !!!

Regards
PWCDad

dnej
23-02-2008, 01:59 PM
PWC Dad
Is that Fishing & Boating?
David

PWCDad
24-02-2008, 09:33 AM
G'day David,

It says on the cover ...Australian Fisherman & Boatowner Publication ... as far as I'm aware it a publication from the F&B magazine i.e. The Websters and Ruth Cunningham ...

Book Three -2006-7.

Regards
PWCDad

dnej
25-02-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.seamedia.com.au/publications/covers/PUBCTN8_cover_thn.jpg (javascript:void(''))Is that the one PWC Dad

dnej
25-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Nope ,book three.Buggar
David

dnej
25-02-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.seamedia.com.au/publications/covers/PUBCTN11_cover_thn.jpg (javascript:void(''))This the one?
David