PDA

View Full Version : IMPOUNDMENT BARRA ROD ( Advice)

NAGG
04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Members ..... This is one for the impoundment barra enthusiasts/ gurus.
I'm after on some advice on a overhead rod that is suitable for long casts with 100-130mm slick rigs or 100 - 120mm hard bodies. Preferably a single handed rod (though 6'6" in length)
The rod could be matched with either my existing Daiwa Zillion or Calcutta 400 ( less likely) ..... or maybe something else. (30lb braid)
My recent experience show that all of my rods (6'2" ... Miller Top end braid barra , 6' Loomis GL3 & Daiwa Procaster X) are either too stiff & heavy ( OK for short casting / trolling) or too light to cast the bigger SPs & Lures (Loomis)
I'm open to all suggestions ..... As long as the rod is fit for purpose & can be used all day without my arm falling off!
Comon guys ( & gals) .... I need the good oil on this one:-/ ... Cheers , Nagg

eotbmg
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Nagg
Just tried out the B8-6 Egrell on the week at Awoonga/Monduran and it cast 100-130 slickis out of sight even when using 50lbs. Its shorter than you wanted though at 6 foot but has a light tip to cast but heaps of low down grunt. Its rated to 10-12kg.
Cheers
Ben

the_matrix
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Check out the millerod camoufish range on the millerods website.
Purpose built impoundment Barra rods rated 12-15kg but nice and soft in the tip.
The high roller is suited to what you are after, but are double handed casters.
More accurate with two hands, less effort.
Nothing else on the market comes close in my opinion.
Prices are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Worth looking at.
Jas

NAGG
04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Nagg
Just tried out the B8-6 Egrell on the week at Awoonga/Monduran and it cast 100-130 slickis out of sight even when using 50lbs. Its shorter than you wanted though at 6 foot but has a light tip to cast but heaps of low down grunt. Its rated to 10-12kg.
Cheers
Ben
Thanks Ben .... i'll try to check it out ( no Sydney dealers for Egrell) .... Need to go 120kms north
I would be surprised for a 6 footer could meet my needs ..... Nagg

NAGG
04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Check out the millerod camoufish range on the millerods website.
Purpose built impoundment Barra rods rated 12-15kg but nice and soft in the tip.
The high roller is suited to what you are after, but are double handed casters.
More accurate with two hands, less effort.
Nothing else on the market comes close in my opinion.
Prices are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Worth looking at.
Jas

Ta ... Jas , I was trying to avoid a skeletal built 2 hander ( I cant cast 2 handed to save my life) ....... I'd rather go a lighter reel ( low profile) & longer single handed rod!
Around $700 from memory ..... Is pretty expensive ( but I wont rule it out yet!) .... Nagg

TinarooTriumph
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
NAGG,

Mate whatever you do, don't buy a Rod over the Internet unless you've held it in your hands before and know the feel etc. You are probably smart enough to know this already, but just incase!!!! One thing I like to do when buying Rods, is to take a Reel that Im going to match it to, marry the two instore and just have a feel + look at thing. I also like to tie a few Lures at the end to check for sensitivity and sag.

Don't go for a Rod that is too soft though. Got to agree with Jas, the Camoufish's are like angel wand's... they are magic. If I had the cash, I wouldnt look at another Rod again. If your going to use Hardbody's 75% of the time over Plastic's, go for a Rod that has a fairly stiff tip to it that will give you a good crisp Lure action. Go the other way and perhaps look for a Rod with a softish tip and fast taper for Plastics. There is soo much to consider when buying a Rod!!!! But, if you spend big then rest assured you should run into what is a good allround Rod I reckon. I am in the place of upgrading to a few Rods at the moment and although I won't be shopping big, I will be shopping hard,

Cheers

Theo.

the_matrix
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
The advantages of double handed casters is the point and shoot method, that is point the rod tip where you are going to cast, raise the rod straight over your shoulder and cast. When casting from the hip you have a bent arm which makes it harder to get cast control and accuracy.
I used to cast single handed, and yep it was a hard habit to break, but it takes bugger all time to get accurate. I still cast single handed at times, but when plastic fishing, double handed means more power thus longer casts.
Fatigue becomes less of an issue as well.

To be honest you need more than one rod for this style of fishing. Short (5'8 to 6 foot) is ideal for twitching hb's, and I like 7 feet for plastics. Gives great line contol and feedback.
It can be an expensive game!

By the way, I only use low profiles as well, a lightweight outfit is the key for big sessions I reckon.
Good luck finding the right rod.
Jas

NAGG
04-11-2007, 09:10 PM
NAGG,

Mate whatever you do, don't buy a Rod over the Internet unless you've held it in your hands before and know the feel etc. You are probably smart enough to know this already, but just incase!!!! One thing I like to do when buying Rods, is to take a Reel that Im going to match it to, marry the two instore and just have a feel + look at thing. I also like to tie a few Lures at the end to check for sensitivity and sag.

Don't go for a Rod that is too soft though. Got to agree with Jas, the Camoufish's are like angel wand's... they are magic. If I had the cash, I wouldn't look at another Rod again. If your going to use Hardbody's 75% of the time over Plastic's, go for a Rod that has a fairly stiff tip to it that will give you a good crisp Lure action. Go the other way and perhaps look for a Rod with a softish tip and fast taper for Plastics. There is soo much to consider when buying a Rod!!!! But, if you spend big then rest assured you should run into what is a good allround Rod I reckon. I am in the place of upgrading to a few Rods at the moment and although I won't be shopping big, I will be shopping hard,

Cheers

Theo.
Hi Theo ..... Mate I wont even consider a rod for this application before I pick one up & feel it with my choice of reels on it.
My Miller is a ripper ( & would stop anything) but its a chore to use all day! ..... I actually like my Procaster X ( Its a cracker for the price) & has landed a couple of good barra 103 & 105cm ...... but long term the 4 single foot guides will give in..... The Loomis is really a big bass & Jack rod ( salty barra too) ........ So its time to get something more suited to point casting etc ........ The Zillion will probably be the reel used .... but I may look at Calcutta TE250DC ( if I can get one at the right price:P ) ...... I've got the next 3-4 months up my sleeve , so I can take my time ... & get the right rod! ..... balance , not too stiff or soft ... + plenty of balls ( big ask!!!)
So I'm all ears atm .... Cheers .. Nagg

NAGG
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
The advantages of double handed casters is the point and shoot method, that is point the rod tip where you are going to cast, raise the rod straight over your shoulder and cast. When casting from the hip you have a bent arm which makes it harder to get cast control and accuracy.
I used to cast single handed, and yep it was a hard habit to break, but it takes bugger all time to get accurate. I still cast single handed at times, but when plastic fishing, double handed means more power thus longer casts.
Fatigue becomes less of an issue as well.

To be honest you need more than one rod for this style of fishing. Short (5'8 to 6 foot) is ideal for twitching hb's, and I like 7 feet for plastics. Gives great line contol and feedback.
It can be an expensive game!

By the way, I only use low profiles as well, a lightweight outfit is the key for big sessions I reckon.
Good luck finding the right rod.
Jas

Ta Jas .... no probs having 2 outfits ( which I prefer anyway) ..... My Miller covers the short stuff / Troll .... S o I'm really after a point casting rod ( longer) to ease the burden off a 12 hour day on the water ( predominately casting) ..... I guess you don't need such a broomstick out of the timber as well:) ... Nagg
PS I struggle 2 handed because I'm a natural left hander ....... That swings a bat/club/axe right handed ..... so my educated thumb would be off the spool:dunce:

mikooh
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I find my Loomis CBR 756 a good all round impoundment barra rod. Its 6'3" with a slowish action and plenty of power in the butt, but it does have a double hand rear grip. It has probably landed me 30+ barra in the past twelve months on everything from hardbodies to fizzers to plastics. Around half of those fish were over the meter mark, and I have not yet felt under gunned with this rod- however Im sure that day will come!
On the subject of Millerods, I had a 6' camofish stiletto spin rod made up earlier this year, and if the baitcast rods are anything like this stick then you couldn't go wrong there either.

NAGG
05-11-2007, 06:51 AM
I find my Loomis CBR 756 a good all round impoundment barra rod. Its 6'3" with a slowish action and plenty of power in the butt, but it does have a double hand rear grip. It has probably landed me 30+ barra in the past twelve months on everything from hardbodies to fizzers to plastics. Around half of those fish were over the meter mark, and I have not yet felt under gunned with this rod- however Im sure that day will come!
On the subject of Millerods, I had a 6' camofish stiletto spin rod made up earlier this year, and if the baitcast rods are anything like this stick then you couldn't go wrong there either.

Thanks Mikooh ...... I'm a fan of Millerods ( but before I capitulate & buy a 2 handed Camofish high roller) .... I wanted to hear some other opinions :-/ I will check out the newer range of Loomis as well.
I really do want to get my paws on an Egrell BeaR B6L ..... & see how it compares ...... Nagg

wheezer
05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
may want to consider custom....Hastings GUSA 65XH 6'6" is a superb blank, can be casted both single and double handed although double is better for some added distance and less fatigue. a good custom rod will be better than anything off the shelf, as every aspect can be tailored to suit your requirements

NAGG
05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
may want to consider custom....Hastings GUSA 65XH 6'6" is a superb blank, can be casted both single and double handed although double is better for some added distance and less fatigue. a good custom rod will be better than anything off the shelf, as every aspect can be tailored to suit your requirements

I was thinking about making my own! ( Thanks for the lowdown on the blank) .... Nagg

Steve B
05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Nagg
Hi Mate, The EGRell 6L is the one. 6 foot 10 inches, 6-10 KG and light as a feather. Eric designed it specifically for what you said, casting long casts with slick rigs etc at weed beds and points. I use mine for slow rolling slickies over creek beds. Also found it awesome for lobbing surface poppers from a great distance so not to spook fish. Way more esponsive and softer in the tip than the 7' TD advantage I once had and way lighter. Handles big fish with ease. havnt had to cast it all day yet, but I am sure it will get a big work out at Awoonga in the Barra tour comp.

hope this helps. steve

crab man
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Chris sounds like good advice everybody has given . I use a 6,6 live fibre from wilson single handed over head and it works a treat up in the dams cought all my barra on it planty over a m now. although i bet steve B has got the best oil on the right gear as a would guess he has cought anout M barra to wrap around the world!!!! and last year i took it to work with me and really tested it on a few cobia and bar macks etc Hope it was a help check them out Craig

crab man
05-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Chris sounds like good advice everybody has given . I use a 6,6 live fibre from wilson single handed over head and it works a treat up in the dams cought all my barra on it planty over a m now. although i bet steve B has got the best oil on the right gear as a would guess he has cought anout M barra to wrap around the world!!!! and last year i took it to work with me and really tested it on a few cobia and bar macks etc Hope it was a help check them out Craig

NAGG
05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Nagg
Hi Mate, The EGRell 6L is the one. 6 foot 10 inches, 6-10 KG and light as a feather. Eric designed it specifically for what you said, casting long casts with slick rigs etc at weed beds and points. I use mine for slow rolling slickies over creek beds. Also found it awesome for lobbing surface poppers from a great distance so not to spook fish. Way more esponsive and softer in the tip than the 7' TD advantage I once had and way lighter. Handles big fish with ease. havnt had to cast it all day yet, but I am sure it will get a big work out at Awoonga in the Barra tour comp.

hope this helps. steve

Thanks again for your help Steve ....... From what I'm seeing / hearing ... It is a must see/try rod ....... Nagg

Steve B
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Craig, Thanks mate, had to laugh, Around the world is stretching it a bit!! Lucky if its round my boat!! Usually get a few each time, but have bad days too because I dont adjust my fishing techniques to suit. It does help to be local and fish regularly, but I always listen to anyone with their ideas and tips. learning bits and pieces from everyone and working out when to use them. Thats the trick. cheers steve

Nagg, sent you a PM regarding rods.

NAGG
07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Craig, Thanks mate, had to laugh, Around the world is stretching it a bit!! Lucky if its round my boat!! Usually get a few each time, but have bad days too because I dont adjust my fishing techniques to suit. It does help to be local and fish regularly, but I always listen to anyone with their ideas and tips. learning bits and pieces from everyone and working out when to use them. Thats the trick. cheers steve

Nagg, sent you a PM regarding rods

Right back at ya! ..... Nagg

TinarooTriumph
07-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Heads up for those Baitcast Live Fibre Rods... they got BALLS! Very well Built Rod with plenty of grunt.

NAGG
08-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Heads up for those Baitcast Live Fibre Rods... they got BALLS! Very well Built Rod with plenty of grunt.

Thankx TT ..... Balls is one thing ... Castability / Fishability is another !!! Now, I want it all:P ::) .Picked up 10kg ..Texilium baitcaster recently.. & it felt like a broom handle ( also for mid $300s .... you might as well look at spending $100-$200 more for a Miller , Loomis or Egrell ) .....Nagg

NAGG
20-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Members ..... This is one for the impoundment barra enthusiasts/ gurus.
I'm after on some advice on a overhead rod that is suitable for long casts with 100-130mm slick rigs or 100 - 120mm hard bodies. Preferably a single handed rod (though 6'6" in length)
The rod could be matched with either my existing Daiwa Zillion or Calcutta 400 ( less likely) ..... or maybe something else. (30lb braid)
My recent experience show that all of my rods (6'2" ... Miller Top end braid barra , 6' Loomis GL3 & Daiwa Procaster X) are either too stiff & heavy ( OK for short casting / trolling) or too light to cast the bigger SPs & Lures (Loomis)
I'm open to all suggestions ..... As long as the rod is fit for purpose & can be used all day without my arm falling off!
Comon guys ( & gals) .... I need the good oil on this one:-/ ... Cheers , Nagg

Hi All ....... Well I'm sitting here with my new point casting outfit.... all set up & rearing to go ....... & as a courtesy to all you that offered opinions / advice this is what I have put together:)
I've gone with a G loomis BCR855(GLX) ... Its 7'1" & rated as a 17-25lb stick ... & runs recoil guides /Sic tip ...... It is light with with fast action & a powerful bottom end8-) I've matched the rod with a Daiwa Zillion 100HA running 30lb Nitlon PE braid! ..... The outfit feels quite good in hand & so I'm fairly confident that it will make an ideal point casting set up8-)
I've got to admit though ..... a big deciding factor was the deal a mate organised for me in the US ( though I did do a comparo between this rod & a couple of Millerod camofish fitted with my Zillion .... & I just couldn't come to terms with the Camo:-X :( ) ..... Anyhow in the end I picked up the BCR855 & two Loomis Spinnerbait rods SBR752C & SBR813C ..... for not much more coin than what you pay for just the BCR855(GLX) locally....... So it was very hard to pass up:P ...... SO THATS IT!
Once again thanks to everyone for their opinions ...... & unfortunately I never got a chance to see an Egrell ( but I will next year ........ I just might need a new rod to use in the timber::) :P ..... Cheers all ,,, Nagg

TinarooTriumph
20-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Bloody hell Nagg... sounds like you did alright mate! Go the Loomis'... big fan of their little Spin sticks... they make some nice beefed up Pistol grips too!

30lb Nitlon PE? How thin is that!?!?! I dont know much about these PE Braids... just know that they are extra thin! Hope you can tie long Bimini's!

Cheers

Theo

NAGG
21-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Bloody hell Nagg... sounds like you did alright mate! Go the Loomis'... big fan of their little Spin sticks... they make some nice beefed up Pistol grips too!

30lb Nitlon PE? How thin is that!?!?! I dont know much about these PE Braids... just know that they are extra thin! Hope you can tie long Bimini's!

Cheers

Theo

Hi Theo ..... Yeh I did very well ( $1500-$1600 worth of rods for $650 ... & a loomis cap & all the new cattledogs)

I actually dont think the Nitlon PE is Ultra thin ( I threw the spool out) but it is thinner than the Daiwa Tournament (orange stuff) where I got about 135M of 20lb on one of my Zillions ,,,,, while I got about 115M of the 30lb Nitlon on my new Zillion.
I tie a pretty good 50 twist bimini ( never seems to fail)
Cheers ..... Chris

davo
21-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I've got the Egrell B6-6 Bear and I love it. Either the B8-6 or the B 6-6 will do fine

NAGG
21-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I've got the Egrell B6-6 Bear and I love it. Either the B8-6 or the B 6-6 will do fine
Hi Davo ..... The B6-6 was on my list ........ but I just couldn't get my paws on one. So when I'm up in Qld in Feb / March I'm going to take time to check out the Egrell range ( I've still got some voids to fill in my armoury::) ).. Nagg

Gruntaaa
21-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi All,

My first post here... Fantastic source of information... I am new to Barra fishing, but my first Baitcaster and Rod combo is a Daiwa Zillion with a G.Loomis ForceLite 756. Pic attached...

I'm heading to Awoonga in Mid January 2008, hoping to score a Barra or 2 with this beauty...

http://www.pelley.com.au/GrantsFishingPics/ZillionLoomis.jpg

Cheers
Grunta

rod harrison
21-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Did anyone read some rubbish in a magazine about a rod being so sensitive that impending barra strikes can be detected. I've heard it from a couple of sources but need to get the "public record" for a piece I'm working on.

And can anyone help with a double hander for PNG? Heard that Live Fibre might do something suitable. Any leads apreciated.

Hardb8
21-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Did anyone read some rubbish in a magazine about a rod being so sensitive that impending barra strikes can be detected. I've heard it from a couple of sources but need to get the "public record"

I vaguely recall reading it somewhere quite recently.Not sure where though.

On the subject,Do you think that the person was refering to :- A fish tailing a lure so closely,That the lure loses action through the pressure wave being put off by the fish in persuit?

I can almost definantly say I've had this happen to me by what I now believe was a large Cod.I didn't get the strike though.It happened twice,In the same area on two consecutive runs.Both times for about a 3-4 second period.

Cheers. B8.

NAGG
21-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Did anyone read some rubbish in a magazine about a rod being so sensitive that impending barra strikes can be detected. I've heard it from a couple of sources but need to get the "public record" for a piece I'm working on.

And can anyone help with a double hander for PNG? Heard that Live Fibre might do something suitable. Any leads apreciated.

Hey Rod ..... Just went through the loomis cattledog & I think I found your weapon ( assuming that you want to go back & play with them bass):P
Its in the Muskie series MUR826C-JB ..... Its double handed 6'10" Fast actioned & rated at 25-50lb ( meant to cast big lures8-) ) ..... Check it out! ... cheers , Nagg

Bad_Bazza
22-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Rod,
Were you looking for the article where that comment was made?
I am fairly sure that I know who and where to find it.
I would have to chase back to find out what exactly what month but if it is important to you I can do that, just let me know.
Sent me a PM if you want further details.

Bad_Bazza

rod harrison
24-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Yeah Baz,

New book that has a bit on graphites, gsp and fish fighting.
Have been researching the amounbt of myth and misconception out
there...sorting the pepper from the flyshit, sort of.
Just the magazine & page will do...Can get the ed to do the rest,
It may be something ambiguous like feints cod and sometimes barra make when hitting lures with a gobfull of pressurised water reverse thrusted thru the gills. In whch case the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks again.
(thanks NAGG for the lead re the black bass stick. Will follow that one up)
Have a fishy christmas, everyone.

Whitto
24-12-2007, 08:09 AM
;D;)I once read a thread by Harro about a Rod and Reel which was recommended by a living legend (JE) Harro's thoughts were that for the cost of the rod and reel it was value for money (all up btw $200/$300) very capable of handling big girls. Purchased the combo and can confirm it's capabilities, I cast this outfit at least the length of a cricket pitch, I believe if u need to cast further than that u are too far away from your quarry, Im assuming that you are using an Electric motor for a bit of sneaky approach, My point I guess is their is very capable gear out there in the lower to mid range price for half the price. Of late there has been some comment about the quality control of a particular top name rod, Now having said all that and sounding like a hypocrit I would dearly like to get my hands on one of (EG) rods, I suppose my comments offer another perspective and capable lower end price range;):), Cheers and Merry Christmas to all Whitto

nipsta
24-12-2007, 08:56 AM

i broke my live fibre rod last time i was monduran and i was even loading it right up and i was defintley not high sticking it as a barra had me stuck around a tree and was still pulling line i was just trying to get my salf sorted out on what to do with the fish ion the ways of getting it off the and he pulled a little more line and rod whent bang it was a blade series 8 kg wilson live fibre used it twice so now ive gone back to a fibre glass / graphite like the uglys sticks i know its heavier but i just have to get use to that i think those live fibre blade would be better suited for weed edges and open water in my opinion. I think i have to save up for a engrell or gloomis and also thats the second live fibre thats has broken both purchase at same time other broke when chasing jack they might have had a dude batch of blanks i notice they have stop selling them now

Magella
24-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Just a note to all the anglers out there who have not got $500 to spend on a rod, really you don't have to spend that much on gear to catch baara, but my advice is to buy the best you can afford. I have caught the odd barra over the metre [pb 117 in timber at night]and a lot of these barra including my pb were taken on a $50 graphite pioneer perfect cast rod. I have now upgraded , I suppose what I am trying to say don't think you can't start barra fishing if you are not rich.

Cheers Foxie

Still using GH leader in 2008

Steve B
24-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Whitto and Foxie are right. cheaper rods ($80-$200 range) have come a long way over the last few years as many companies (shimano, daiwa, wilson, phluger etc) are getting into the growning impundment scene. they are producing good quality gear for that price, definatly capable of landing big fish. I have been spoilt by having Egrell rods now and personally would never go back, however my first rods I ever used for barra (shimano raider, diawa procaster Z, daiwa davantage, Abu Morrum braid) all did the trick superbly, and are still getting around up here catching barra with another Ausfish member who reports on here regularly.

What I trying to get at is simlar to Foxie. Get what you can afford, within reason, it will do the job. If it doesnt. upgrade next time!!

For the Record the GH leader foxie talks about is CHEAP and NASTY but goes OK, bit like Foxie!

cheers steve

NAGG
24-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Just a note to all the anglers out there who have not got $500 to spend on a rod, really you don't have to spend that much on gear to catch baara, but my advice is to buy the best you can afford. I have caught the odd barra over the metre [pb 117 in timber at night]and a lot of these barra including my pb were taken on a $50 graphite pioneer perfect cast rod. I have now upgraded , I suppose what I am trying to say don't think you can't start barra fishing if you are not rich.

Cheers Foxie

Still using GH leader in 2008

AND NO ONE CAN ARGUE AGAINST THAT !!!:-X

However part of the enjoyment of fishing comes from the tackle that one uses. As one progresses & improves in their ability .... so does the desire to own tackle that enhances / compliments that ability:P . .... Keeping in mind, you have the means to afford such tackle.;) .... Nagg

PS .... Foxies comment reminded me of my LBG days where we would go & fish off the stones in search of Tuna , Kings & ultimately Marlin.
We were fishing the "Ovens" whale beach NSW with our custom made LBG sticks , Penn International 30 & 50 Game reels , harnesses etc......
A middle eastern gentleman fishing next to us using a K Mart spin rod with about a 4000 size spin reel .... hooks what we thought was Terra firma .... a minute or so later a small 30-40kg black marlin is dancing all over the ocean .... After 30 mins or so ..... he brings it to the rocks ( unfortunately he never spoke English) . I moved on to the lower ledge to see if I could grab the short wire trace he was using ...... not understanding that I wanted him to step back & just before my mate handed me the gaff ......... the trace wore though ... & off she swam ( the fish was well & truly beaten) ..... A magnificent sight8-)
So as Foxie said .... you dont need to spend a fortune to catch good fish ! ...... BUT IT'S FUN IF YOU CAN;D Nagg

Magella
24-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey Professor
Fairs, Fair I know I'm Cheap but I don't think I am nasty you Plick

Foxie

nipsta
24-12-2007, 10:50 AM
i remeber years ago that one of the best rods going around was the ugly stick always wanted one but could afford it. but now there middle of the range and great value for what you get tough as nails not to heavy you can pick them up for around $70 then you get these jarvis walker one tuff tips which are identical in every way and you can get them for around $40 i have caught most of my barra on one of them and it has handle every bit of punishment i have givin it also i have caught metre plus spanish mackeral on it and it didnt not even look like ever breaking . now what they 've done with both the ugly stick and the jarvis is put a percentage of graphite in to the blank to give you that sensitivity that the full graphite rods have . I aslo think if you not to gentle on ya gear a fiberglass rod is defintley the way to go as the graphite you have to be very carefull tapping them on anything so im one of these angler who isnt gentle so im sticking with the glass i think

Steve B
24-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry Foxie, that was a bit harsh, I meant cheap and EASY!!

I was going to drop in this morning but we got busy!
might get down later. GH all the way;) steve

PS I see Glendon got a couple yesterday.

deefa66
24-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I think that was a quote from Mr Steptoe when he was talking about night trolling in the dams with his prefered G-loomis stick