PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Cats??

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Its official - Im confused. I'm looking at a Cat in the 5-6 metre class. I have a mate who is an Ab diver and he has a kevlacat 5.2. It has cracked down the tunnel at the bulkheads and as a result it takes on a lot of water especially when underway. The factory told him that he was too ruff with the boat and didn't give him warranty. I took a Noosa Cat 1850 for a run and when underway in a little chop, it continually falls onto its shoulder and feels like it could roll over at any time. Are there any other options left??:-/ I'm open to suggestions.

DR
03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
i am sure you will get plenty of opinions over the next few days....:P

Blackened
03-11-2007, 11:08 AM
G'day

Lol, yes, as DR said, you will get plenty of opinions.

Shark cat, Coastal cat, Devil cat, Sailfish, Markham, There's plenty out there.

Just be aware of what are cat traits and what are mono traits, and compare apples with apples.

Where are you located, and what budget did u have in mind?

Dave

Tassie JR
03-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Also the power cats made in caboolture.

cheers tassie JR

Vitamin Sea
03-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Its official - Im confused. I'm looking at a Cat in the 5-6 metre class. I have a mate who is an Ab diver and he has a kevlacat 5.2. It has cracked down the tunnel at the bulkheads and as a result it takes on a lot of water especially when underway. The factory told him that he was too ruff with the boat and didn't give him warranty. I took a Noosa Cat 1850 for a run and when underway in a little chop, it continually falls onto its shoulder and feels like it could roll over at any time. Are there any other options left??:-/ I'm open to suggestions.

Dermot2u

A little bit of light reading for you, if you have not done so already

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=117629

Cheers

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Dermot2u

A little bit of light reading for you, if you have not done so already

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=117629

Cheers
Thanks for the link. It's interesting reading. Regards Dermot2u

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 01:30 PM
G'day

Lol, yes, as DR said, you will get plenty of opinions.

Shark cat, Coastal cat, Devil cat, Sailfish, Markham, There's plenty out there.

Just be aware of what are cat traits and what are mono traits, and compare apples with apples.

Where are you located, and what budget did u have in mind?

Dave
NSW South Coast. Nowra. I don't mind spending the money but expect a good boat too. I'm trying to work out(preferably from others mistakes and experience) what the best boat in this catagory would be and then chase one down. From all accounts the 5.60 Shark Cats are the bench mark, but finding one in good condition could be the challenge. Thanks for your input

deadbeatloser
03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
sea tech built in caloundra , round the block from coastal. i know 4 pro fisher who hav coastal cat n love em. one says they are all abit scary when you have abit of sea when running on the the rear quarter. take em all fora spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!;D

Dean1
03-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Its official - Im confused. I'm looking at a Cat in the 5-6 metre class. I have a mate who is an Ab diver and he has a kevlacat 5.2. It has cracked down the tunnel at the bulkheads and as a result it takes on a lot of water especially when underway. The factory told him that he was too ruff with the boat and didn't give him warranty. I took a Noosa Cat 1850 for a run and when underway in a little chop, it continually falls onto its shoulder and feels like it could roll over at any time. Are there any other options left??:-/ I'm open to suggestions. A 5.2 kc that has cracked down the tunnel?? Ive seen alot of these boats used roughly and had a very hard life (pro fishing boats 89 onwards) but ive never seen that happen to one! They are very srong boats, i think theres a bit more to the story with that one :-/ Cats lean, differently to monos altogether, once you realize they arent going to tip over and learn how to drive them their unbeatable ;)

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
A 5.2 kc that has cracked down the tunnel?? Ive seen alot of these boats used roughly and had a very hard life (pro fishing boats 89 onwards) but ive never seen that happen to one! They are very srong boats, i think theres a bit more to the story with that one :-/ Cats lean, differently to monos altogether, once you realize they arent going to tip over and learn how to drive them their unbeatable ;)

That Kevlacat was a brand new 5.2. The cracks went from the bottom of each pontoon up the inside of the tunnel(along the bulkheads) to the flat of the tunnel. Worse than the damage was the warranty! Thanks for your info

Dean1
03-11-2007, 02:50 PM
That Kevlacat was a brand new 5.2. The cracks went from the bottom of each pontoon up the inside of the tunnel(along the bulkheads) to the flat of the tunnel. Worse than the damage was the warranty! Thanks for your info dermot2u what year was the hull made?? The new latest 5.2 ( after 1999) is a totally different hull to the older 5.2's (88-99) Im lead to believe that they have taken out some bulkheads, as in not as many bulkheads now, which will make them not as strong as the earlier 5.2's. I have a 97 5.2 and love it, give it a hiding and its as solid as. Anyone with an older 5.2 heard of this cracking?? I know for sure theyve messed with the hulls and the older 1's are definatly a better hull, probably explains why they are so expensive! ::) Very dissapointing kevlacat wont cover the hull, no excuse for that, all boats should be able to handle a flogging in the sea. Dean.

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
dermot2u what year was the hull made?? The new latest 5.2 ( after 1999) is a totally different hull to the older 5.2's (88-99) Im lead to believe that they have taken out some bulkheads, as in not as many bulkheads now, which will make them not as strong as the earlier 5.2's. I have a 97 5.2 and love it, give it a hiding and its as solid as. Anyone with an older 5.2 heard of this cracking?? I know for sure theyve messed with the hulls and the older 1's are definatly a better hull, probably explains why they are so expensive! ::) Very dissapointing kevlacat wont cover the hull, no excuse for that, all boats should be able to handle a flogging in the sea. Dean.

Thanks for your interest Dean1.
His boat was new in 99-2000 not exactly sure. Next time I speak to him I will find out the exact model. He would pull up in the street and puddles would appear on the ground from the water seeping out of the cracks. The standard line from him was his boat was crying. He did dish out a hard time to the boat, but as you said, it should handle it. There were alot of 5.60 shark cats around that have done alot more work than that and didn't crack up. He had twin 100 hp Yamaha 4 strokes fitted from new.
Regards Dermot2u

Dean1
03-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your interest Dean1.
His boat was new in 99-2000 not exactly sure. Next time I speak to him I will find out the exact model. He would pull up in the street and puddles would appear on the ground from the water seeping out of the cracks. The standard line from him was his boat was crying. He did dish out a hard time to the boat, but as you said, it should handle it. There were alot of 5.60 shark cats around that have done alot more work than that and didn't crack up. He had twin 100 hp Yamaha 4 strokes fitted from new.
Regards Dermot2u Twin 100hp 4 strokes on a 5.2kc??? :-/ :-/ Who allowed him to put those motors on?? These boats are rated to 90hp 2 STROKES!! Equivalent to 70hp 4 strokes. Are you sure it was a 5.2?? That boat would have handled like a bag of @#%& Those motors are way to heavy for that hull. I think your talking about a 5.8 maybe?? They made a 5.8 in roughly 99 that was a ballsup. Can you get a pic of the hull??

Fish Guts
03-11-2007, 04:13 PM
hey dermot,

You may have already seen it, but this mag contains a pretty comprehensive list of all the major cat manufacturers in Australia. still available at most newsagencies and also over the net if not in stock. www.seamedia.com.au (http://www.seamedia.com.au)

cheers

Fish guts

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 04:14 PM
hey dermot,

You may have already seen it, but this mag contains a pretty comprehensive list of all the major cat manufacturers in Australia. still available at most newsagencies and also over the net if not in stock. www.seamedia.com.au (http://www.seamedia.com.au)

cheers

Fish guts

I havn't seen it yet. Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.
Regards Dermot2u

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Twin 100hp 4 strokes on a 5.2kc??? :-/ :-/ Who allowed him to put those motors on?? These boats are rated to 90hp 2 STROKES!! Equivalent to 70hp 4 strokes. Are you sure it was a 5.2?? That boat would have handled like a bag of @#%& Those motors are way to heavy for that hull. I think your talking about a 5.8 maybe?? They made a 5.8 in roughly 99 that was a ballsup. Can you get a pic of the hull??

He bought the boat at the time they stopped making the 5.2 and introduced the 5.8. I am certain of this because 2 guys I know got one of each boats around the same time. He had to convince them to make the 5.2 because they were doing the 5.8's and tried to sell him one. From what I understand they fitted the motors at the factory or at a dealer up there because he towed it into town with the 100hp motors on it from new. He lives a few hours away from where I am, but I will try to get a pic. I think he now has twin 90 two stroke merc's.
Its called 'Downunder'.
Regards Dermot2u

Dean1
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
He bought the boat at the time they stopped making the 5.2 and introduced the 5.8. I am certain of this because 2 guys I know got one of each boats around the same time. He had to convince them to make the 5.2 because they were doing the 5.8's and tried to sell him one. From what I understand they fitted the motors at the factory or at a dealer up there because he towed it into town with the 100hp motors on it from new. He lives a few hours away from where I am, but I will try to get a pic. I think he now has twin 90 two stroke merc's.
Its called 'Downunder'.
Regards Dermot2u Maybe this is why kevlacat wont cover the hull coz of the motors that were fitted. I know they wouldnt have fitted those motors from factory when they exceed the rated hp on the plate. The rear of the boat would never have working properly because of the weight, it would have been slamming hard, sagging, and possibly cause things to crack maybe. You will get alot of other guys on here agreeing with the 100 4's not been at home at all on that boat. Cheers Deano.

Smithy
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
If you don't like the falling over feeling of the 1850 Noosacat maybe look at an aluminium cat like a Sailfish. Perko is a cat man having come from a 5.2KC and he has had two Sailfish cats now and loves 'em, a 5.5 and now a 6.5. He reckons they are heaps stiffer underway. Another mate Morgy has a 7.5 Sailfish. A brand worth a look.

julian1
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
what about the Noosacat 2300 its a 6m cat ? or there is Devilcat they do a 5.2 or a 6.0m ?

freddofrog
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I've had a 1994 5.2KC for 6months now and love it.

Not ever heard about the cracking but 100hp 4 stokes sounds way too heavy. The new 5.2 (1900 series) has beefed up pods (compared to the older 5.2s) to cope with the additional weight of modern 4 strokes but even on the KC site, they say 90hp max.

cya
ff