PDA

View Full Version : nned ideas to make a galley/stove hood

fender22
02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
HI, I have a 19' half cab with a small area for a stove which if a safe distance away from the roof but I would like to put some sort of hood over it. I'd never leave the stove on unattended or without something over the hotplate/flame anyway but it's a metho stove where you run a bit of metho in it to heat up before turning it up and I could see that raw fuel flame going a bit higher than I'd like if too much was put in. The roof above the stove is a good 24" at least and flat, I was just going to cover that with some light aluminum but heat to the aluminum would still transfer through to the glass I guess. Like I said, under normal use the flame or heat would be no ware near the roof but just planning for worst case scenarios.

Does anyone have any ideas for a simple, inexpensive fix apart from getting one made? Are they availlable ready made as such? I don't really have the equipment for bending / cutting sheet? Was thinking of having a wander around the tip shop tomorrow and see if anything was available. Any ideas appreciated.

tunaticer
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
G'day Fender,

I would opt for the alloy as you were thinking with a slight variation. Space the alloy off the glass about 20mm and the effect of whatever heat that the alloy gains will be whisked away with a natural air current between the alloy and the glass. Heat rises and will create that air flow for you.

In my line of work heat deflection plates are quite commonly used and 20mm clearance is ample for a plate that most likely will never get over 150 degrees C.
alloy does not radiate heatr as well as steel but it does reflect it quite a bit. Airflow will keep both the plate and the glass cool.

Jack.

Mad-One
03-11-2007, 05:37 AM
I agree with Tuna go the aluminium and if you want have 2 pieces spaced apart .....Say 10mm off roof then 15-20mm from that one. Used to fit wood heaters ( Cast ones ) real close to walls useing double heat shields I would also put one behind the stove to

Cheers Mad

on-one
03-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi, are you putting the stove in the cabin or out the back? We had a stove in the cabin of a similar boat and found it hard to use as with the lack of room, and heat, above the stove you couldn't really get your head above it to see what was cooking.

Ended up building a unit to house it under the driver's seat so you could use it with full headroom, you might want to use the stove a bit before you make its location too permanant.

Homer_Jay
03-11-2007, 06:07 AM
I just have a sheet of stainless screwed above mine... not sure if this is right but it has worked fine for me.

fender22
03-11-2007, 06:11 AM
It's in a pretty good spot actually, like the cabin area is small, but it's just off to the side of the entrance as you walk in and there is a cutout in that part of the roof so you can stand there with full head room. The spacer idea sounds great. Going down to the tip shop this morning to find see if I can scab some aluminum!

Now, if only this wind will stop blowing I might actually be able to take the damn thing out!