PDA

View Full Version : Honda - BF135 vs BF90

Splash
02-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Hi Team.

Spaniard King recommends I go for the BF90 to suit my 5.3m Hianes HUnter (1000kg max loaded).

Just seeking other opinions before I commit.

Trolling out wide off Norther Australia is my GO.

What donk woudl give me best performance - and why?

Max rating for this boat is 225HP.

Also, are the Honda guages worth having or other brand?

SPlash

Timmy94
02-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I'd say 115-140

Noelm
02-11-2007, 08:07 AM
I guess it all depends on how you define "best performance" if you mean the fastest, then a 225HP (max rating) will be the go, if you want to troll for hours then a much smaller engine will suffice, as a VERY general rule, somewhere around 75% of the max HP is ideal for "all purpose" use, but if you never plan on any Skiing, heavy loads and so on, then 50% is Ok (about 115HP) so there is not real way to say what is best, you must decide on how you will use the boat, and then get some help from the Dealer, if he is good, he will give you the right advice, if there are any other Boats the same as yours, ask the owners about their HP and how good it is.

Spaniard_King
02-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Splash,

Not that I doubt you but I find it odd that the V17 you are talking about is rated to 225hp

gofishin
02-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Splash,

Not that I doubt you but I find it odd that the V17 you are talking about is rated to 225hp

Exactly SK.

Is there a typo somewhere Splash?

The 135 is a detuned 150, but not as heavy as the 115 (which is a detuned old model 130). Both are a lot heavier than the 90, and i would say too heavy for a 5.3m boat.

My 2c worth is also for the 90, in a Honda... I don't know your boat but the zuke 140's are apparently great on the 540 haines sigs. ~ 25kg heavier than the 90 but 20kg lighter than the 135. More horses will make you go faster but a 'too heavy' motor can turn a good boat into a pig. (my weights are from memory, so maybe a little scratchy)

sid_fishes
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
splash, mate if gary says the 90 is good then trust him, he knows his stuff.as i saw a haines in front of me today with just a 70 zuke 4 stroke hanging off its bum [ i hate him as i as going to work at 3.30 am and he was going fishing]. cheers sid

Splash
02-11-2007, 07:22 PM
THanks BOys.

Gary - My Transom plate states 168KW Max Power.

If 1.341 HP = 1KW, I calculate 225HP.

Please advise me if I have miscalculated or misinterpreted anything.

SPlash

Splash
02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
splash, mate if gary says the 90 is good then trust him, he knows his stuff.as i saw a haines in front of me today with just a 70 zuke 4 stroke hanging off its bum [ i hate him as i as going to work at 3.30 am and he was going fishing]. cheers sid

Thanks Sid - I trust Gary and value his opinion greatly! But, I have been trained to seek other opinoions as well.

What about wanting to get back home fast and the 90HP may not be enough oomph?

PS - THis bull is not the V17 but Haines 5.35 - That's what it has on the sides and registered as. I know the V17 is similar but maybe there are significant weight differences - dunno.

SPlash

disorderly
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Splash,

Why would you even contemplate putting such a small motor on your boat?.
If you have decided to spend the dollars to fit a new motor then why not fit one that will give you the offshore performance that you will desire.
Plenty of time when you are a pensioner to sit back and take in the scenery but when you have big distances to travel why hamstring yourself with an inadequately powered motor?.
Gary(spaniard King) can you supply performance figures for splash's boat fitted with a honda 90 as I cant see it being a boat that I would use to travel 40-50 miles in?

Scott

leezor
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree with Scott, my old man has a BF90 on a 5.75mt Stessl plate boat and he is always complaining that it is under powered.

Lee

timddo
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Trust is such a big words.

But honestly i would not even contemplate a 90 on a boat like that. i have a 5.5M boat with a 115 2 stroke and already feel a 130 is better. I'm sure a 90 will be enough power to get on the plane but may cruise at say 17knots, while a 135 cruises at 25 knots.

i would go 115 as min.

I would go min 115hp.

Splash
02-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Perspective - I like it...:)

THanks guys - I guess I still have more thinking to do - whther it be 90 or 135HP.

I dont want to go the 115HP in the Honda - eihter 135 or 90.

It is interesting to hear the different opions here. THanks

Can anyone confirm that I have calculated my HP correctly please?

With the bigger, heavier donks - won't I run the risk of having a 'DOG'?

SPlash

gofishin
02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Splash, your kW to hp conversion is correct.

Quite surprising that it is so much for that size boat actually. Wouldn't conform to USCG, CE or AS but if that's what the MDP says, that's it. How old is your boat? Interesting to hear from other owners of similar size HH's to compare max hp.

Splash
02-11-2007, 11:53 PM
1989 is my vintage.

I am told by alot of dealers that these hulls were renowed for carrying the big heavy donkers from yesteryear...

Haines HUnter had a reputation for building heavy glass boats in the 70's and 80's.

So, will the 135HP 217kg donk be a PIG on my hull?

SPlash
Splash

gofishin
03-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Possibly, but hard to say withou any experience with your boat. One thing for sure is that older model FRP boats don't like big heavy 4/'s. Mate, your going to spend serious dollars either way, so do some research/searching all the sites. 2nd yards/private sales sites too - you might find similar boats that you can get info on. what do the motor dealers say?
cheers

Vitamin Sea
03-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Splash, your kW to hp conversion is correct.

Quite surprising that it is so much for that size boat actually. Wouldn't conform to USCG, CE or AS but if that's what the MDP says, that's it. How old is your boat? Interesting to hear from other owners of similar size HH's to compare max hp.

Gidday

Mine is a 1979 HH 19C, with the 200 Opti ( weight 225 kg ) it has a max rating on the compliance plate of 280HP.

I to would not put a 90 HP 4 banger on a 5.35 Haines, you would not get the performance out of the hull, all HH's like HP.

If it was me, doing the miles in offshore conditions as has been stated, I would go a 135, probably a 150, DI 2 stroke.

3800rpm would probably give a cruise speed around the 25 - 27knt range, very economical, with plenty up you sleeve if you need it.

Cheers

Bill

Bill

Splash
03-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks Bill.

SOme say the extra weight of the 4 banger may cause PIG status - thoughts?

What ar ethe DI 2 bangers llike for trolling though?

SPlash

Splash
03-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Possibly, but hard to say withou any experience with your boat. One thing for sure is that older model FRP boats don't like big heavy 4/'s. Mate, your going to spend serious dollars either way, so do some research/searching all the sites. 2nd yards/private sales sites too - you might find similar boats that you can get info on. what do the motor dealers say?
cheers

THanks Gofishin.

I don't understand this comment - if the compliance plate states Max HP at 225HP and you're saying that boats liek mine don't like big heavy 4/s, would you think Haines got it wrong when they rated my hull?

SPlash

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi Team.

Spaniard King recommends I go for the BF90 to suit my 5.3m Hianes HUnter (1000kg max loaded).

Just seeking other opinions before I commit.

Trolling out wide off Norther Australia is my GO.

What donk woudl give me best performance - and why?

Max rating for this boat is 225HP.

Also, are the Honda guages worth having or other brand?

SPlash
Go for a Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke. 50 - 60 kg lighter than a Honda(130), just as reliable and cheaper. 90hp is not enough for that size/weight. Don't make the common mistake of not enough power. Good luck.

dermot2u
03-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Dont underpower your boat. 90 hp is not enough. Honda are also very heavy. Look at 115hp Yamaha. 50-60kg lighter and, more power, just as relieable and cheaper.

Splash
03-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Vitamin Sea -

Are you suggesting I go DI 2 stroke in the 135 or 150?

Or a 4 stroke 135/150?

How does your rig climb the plane and does it labour under the 200 kg weight?

SPlash

Splash
03-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Thansk Dermot - what size capacaity is the 115HP Yami?

Bonus
03-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Splash, I thought I would point out that the 140 HP Suzuki four stroke only weighs 191kg. You would remember that I have one for sale on Ausfish that has only done 4 hours. Russell

mromanis
03-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Splash,
It's worth considering that with older boats the max HP rating also took into consideration the max weight hanging off the back of the boat. Find out the weight of an older 2 stroke with the max HP rating and match that up to HP and weight of a modern 4 stroke.
Also, would you consider 4 stroke Tohatsu? If the stories and marketing hype are to be believed the dealer and spares network north of the Tropic of Capricorn is second to none. Don't know about that myself, but it might be worth checking out.

Vitamin Sea
03-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Vitamin Sea -

Are you suggesting I go DI 2 stroke in the 135 or 150?

Or a 4 stroke 135/150?

How does your rig climb the plane and does it labour under the 200 kg weight?

SPlash

Splash

My boat hammers, no question about it, going out of the leads at Manly early the other morning, motor tucked under, put the throttle down, before I knew it I was over 70 km/hr.8-)

When I hit it like that there is negligible "climbing onto the plane", but of course you can't always do that.

That is a bit extreme and it was flat conditions, certainly don't do it as the norm.

The weight doesn't really bother it, a bit bum heavy outside with blokes fishing out the back, but not to bad, is a bit more noticeable with the standard 20" leg.

My personal preference on your boat would be the 135 Opti, ( 195kg ) which is about 20kgs lighter than what you are looking at, HOWEVER we are going back to the original question regarding remoteness and servicing.

I do plenty of trolling with my motor, it has a troll control with the Smart Craft which allows you to putt along at 450 - 500 rpm's if you wish, set and forget.

The 140 Zuk that is for sale here would also certainly come into the equation if I was looking, Long shaft 186kg, X long 191 kg, however, I do not believe you would have the "punch" of the DI 2 stroke, if that is required.

Do not under power your boat, you will regret it if you do

Regards

Bill

Splash
03-11-2007, 10:44 AM
THanks boys.

Bonus, have considered your Suzuki 140 - great price but concerned about the ratio of cubic capacity (cubic inches) to HP (0.8:1). Not happy about that ratio. I need at least 1:1. I have read elsewhere that anything under 1:1 may accelearte hot running and not lasting as long.

But, for the price you are asking - maybe OK - still thinking..

MrOmanis - good point - will follow through on that. Your thoughts on Vitamin Sea's rig - in your opinion is his donk too heavy for his hull?

SPlash

gofishin
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
THanks Gofishin.

I don't understand this comment - if the compliance plate states Max HP at 225HP and you're saying that boats liek mine don't like big heavy 4/s, would you think Haines got it wrong when they rated my hull?

SPlash

Splash, if you plan on ski racing up a nice long river then 225hp would probably be great. Otherwise, it's way way too much. What I meant was that a lot of 4/'s are heavy for their power, espicially the de-tuned versions. Out of your original two choices (90 & 135 Honda) i would pick the 90, just because the 135 weighs so much more.

In nasty seas you can only go so fast in a 5.3m monohull. In these situations give me a rig that is well balanced, even if a little under powered, than one that has hp to spare (which can't be used in those situations), but is heavy in the arse, handles like a pig and falls off the plane if you sneeze.

Would i buy either of these two donks if this were my boat? No!

As i said, i don't have any real experience with this size & vintage HH. It may be fine with the extra weight. If it were mine i would be looking at the 115 yam 4/ or the 140 zuke (but i am biased, i have the white version), espicually if you can get one at a good price.

If you want 2/ and more bang there is also the e-tec 150, & there there is a V4 or a V6. I wouldn't be too worried about your cubic ratio, but if you are go the 2.6L V6 150hp, there is probably nothing else that has a better cubic cap per hp per kg, and still a fair bit lighter than the 135 honda.

Not to mention the 2/ dfi others have mentioned. Happy choosing.

mirage
05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
THanks boys.

Bonus, have considered your Suzuki 140 - great price but concerned about the ratio of cubic capacity (cubic inches) to HP (0.8:1). Not happy about that ratio. I need at least 1:1. I have read elsewhere that anything under 1:1 may accelearte hot running and not lasting as long.

But, for the price you are asking - maybe OK - still thinking..

MrOmanis - good point - will follow through on that. Your thoughts on Vitamin Sea's rig - in your opinion is his donk too heavy for his hull?

SPlash

I won't pretend to know what you're talking about there but I don't know anyone who's not happy with the DF140 from Suzuki. They're tried and proven.

pueter66
05-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Mate, I run a honda BF 175 on a 21 ft plate boat My mate has the same boat and has gone with the 150 and I have found that it performs and handles better as the 175 is hardly working with a fully laden boat with its extra torque. So no I dont believe that a bigger motor makes a dog as long as the motor weight does not exceed your maximum transum weight or horsepower and it is using less fuel.
Hope this helps Cheers Pueter66

pueter66
05-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Also just as an after thought I am based in capricornia and our Honda dealer and Suzuki dealer are the same.
Talking to the Yeppoon dealer the other day he was saying that allthough the Suzukis are a great motor apparently it take a fair while to get parts (two weeks wait just for a thermostat) where with the honda most dealers are fully stocked.
It may not be the same further south.
My father runs a suzuki on a similar size boat to yours and is quite happy with it, especialy with fuel.
Also about the honda gauges I run them in my boat and they are fine but the hour meters can be a bit suss. cheers pete

Splash
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Thansk boys - really aprpecaited.

Mirage - Cubic capcaity of the DF140 is 124.7cubic inches and 140HP.

It is a well know fact that (as a general rule of thumb) if the cubic capacity is less than the max rated HP on a number ratio basis, the donk will work alot harder as it will be running at full capacity alot of the time - leading to less reliablity, more heating/friction and utlimately less life results.

The DF140 is the smallest cubic capcaity in it's class BTW and is reagrded by some as 'an odd ball'.

SPlash

PADDLES
05-11-2007, 08:00 AM
splash you're right about the capacity thing, the greater it is, the easier the donk will be doing the work. look a little deeper though at your actual application, the 140hp motor will be hardly even raising a sweat on your rig. once you're up and running (even on my rig it stays on the plane effortlessly at 3.8k in 1m waves) it'll only ever be using full power when you floor it to take off or if you are loading it right up towing someone for trolling it is just idling. all i'm trying to say to you is that for your application and the small amount of time that you will ever use full power with a 140hp sooz the capacity is irrelevant, for my boat it could be an issue one day.

Noelm
05-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Splash, it seem strange to hear you say, "you do not want a 115, either a 90 or a 135" why would that be your way of thinking?? seems to me that you are jumping over the best compromise motor for some reason known only to you!

Splash
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Tahnsk Nolem.

THe 115 does not have the newer technology (as quoted form Honda themselves) and also weighs more than the 90 or 135.

Regards
Splash

Splash
05-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Paddles - If I don't need all of that 140HP, will a less rated donk be more suitable then -maybe with a better capacity to HP ratio??

SPlash

PADDLES
05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
again, you're right splash, capacity to hp is a good ratio to go by if you are running the outboard fully loaded all the time. for your boat though it wont be. basically you will be buying a souped up 115 (which the suzuki is) and will hardly ever have it fully loaded but if you ever need the extra grunt it'll be there. by the way i'm not trying to sell ya suzuki here, if i was you i'd be going for the cheapest/best deal in the 130/140 class. there's a top couple of articles in the engine tests section on boatpoint if you're interested. there's one that describes the different technologies and another that compares a heap of motors in that class, it's about a year or so old though.

Noelm
05-11-2007, 08:56 AM
hhmm OK then, if a 135 is LIGHTER than a 115, if the cost is not too much more, and your boat is OK with the weight, I really do not see any reason to ponder, better to "have than to have not" when it comes to HP, just make sure it is all setup right, propped right and the 135 will be singing along in dirty weather whereas the 90 COULD be struggling to maintain a slow plane and be forever on and off the plane, which is a real pain, plus there is the speed factor when conditions are good, always good to zoom past everybody and wave!

Noelm
05-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Remember that a 135 is 50% more power over a 90 of course, that is quite an increase!

PADDLES
05-11-2007, 09:06 AM
splash

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/1960575.aspx is the comparo

and if you go through to about page 10 of the engine reviews there's a series of articles on outboards that explain the technology.

i agree noel, it's sounds like a good decision to me the more power (that you don't necessarilly need) for less weight.

disorderly
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
hhmm the 135 will be singing along in dirty weather whereas the 90 COULD be struggling to maintain a slow plane and be forever on and off the plane, which is a real pain,

This is a good point noel.
My boat, when it was underpowered had this problem.In big seas it was forever getting "bogged"when it climbed up the back of waves and to compensate I used to"surf" down the face to regain momentum.
Makes for a terribly long trip over 50 or 60 k's not to mention the danger factor by driving an unresponsive boat

Noelm
05-11-2007, 10:38 AM
yeah, it is a very common thing with Boats that are JUST powered enough, in a following Sea, you have to almost give it full throttle to maintain speed, then you "climb" over the wave and then you are going flat strap and need to pull back, and repeat it all over again next wave, whereas a well powered boat, while still suffering to some extent, will be a much more pleasant trip, not to mention better response in a nasty bar situation (not a brawl at the Local) but an Ocean Bar, power can be your friend (and your enemy I guess)

PADDLES
05-11-2007, 12:11 PM
noel, my "nasty bar situation" is if i run out of money, not a brawl.;D

finding_time
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
This is a good point noel.
My boat, when it was underpowered had this problem.In big seas it was forever getting "bogged"when it climbed up the back of waves and to compensate I used to"surf" down the face to regain momentum.
Makes for a terribly long trip over 50 or 60 k's not to mention the danger factor by driving an unresponsive boat

Scott

50 - 60 km's offshore in a 26 year old stacer is your danger factor regardless of what size and type of outboard it has on it!;) That far off shore means a long wait for help and when a pressed boat fails it really fails. I could tell you a story about a 5.2 savage osprey that literally feel apart at the southern gutters 35nm nth of hervey bay. the only reason they weren't swimming was the sealed floor and floatation. a 6 foot split opened up along the keel during the roughish trip up there. Mate offshore i would be looking at plate or glass , leave the pressed boat for the close in stuff.

Ian

I hope you check those welds alot! It would be ashame to sink that E-tec;D

mirage
05-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Thansk boys - really aprpecaited.

Mirage - Cubic capcaity of the DF140 is 124.7cubic inches and 140HP.

It is a well know fact that (as a general rule of thumb) if the cubic capacity is less than the max rated HP on a number ratio basis, the donk will work alot harder as it will be running at full capacity alot of the time - leading to less reliablity, more heating/friction and utlimately less life results.

The DF140 is the smallest cubic capcaity in it's class BTW and is reagrded by some as 'an odd ball'.

SPlash

Thanks for the expanded explanation Splash, didn't know all that.

Chimo
05-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Another Savage Osprey 5.2 story!!

A mate had that happen to him off Robe in SA, bit embarrasing when his wife complained about her feet, ankles and then knees getting wet after his split along the keel too.

Must have been a design feature.

Chimo

Splash
05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
THanks boys.

You have have really helped to cyrstalise my decision. I think I' go the higher HP.

Had another chat to Byron Hazzel (reputable Honda Franchise in Darwin). He is dead set adament that the 225HP rates max capacity related to those big crysler/Johsnon donks of 1980's. He firmly believes the 135 or 150 woudl suit it beuatifully.

Now, on the bf150 ($17,600) vs bf135 ($16,300) side of things, the price difference is around $1,300 for the extra 15 HP and VTEC (above 4200 RPM).

Is it worth the extra dosh for the extra 15HP and VTEC? Both weigh the same (217kg). Don't get me going the DF150 (Suzi) as they are mroe expensive again - believe it or not!! (albeit 20kg lighter)

How will vtec beneift me? I hear VTEAC is noisy.

SPlash

Vitamin Sea
05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
THanks boys.

You have have really helped to cyrstalise my decision. I think I' go the higher HP.

Had another chat to Byron Hazzel (reputable Honda Franchise in Darwin). He is dead set adament that the 225HP rates max capacity related to those big crysler/Johsnon donks of 1980's. He firmly believes the 135 or 150 woudl suit it beuatifully.

Now, on the bf150 ($17,600) vs bf135 ($16,300) side of things, the price difference is around $1,300 for the extra 15 HP and VTEC (above 4200 RPM).

Is it worth the extra dosh for the extra 15HP and VTEC? Both weigh the same (217kg). Don't get me going the DF150 (Suzi) as they are mroe expensive again - believe it or not!! (albeit 20kg lighter)

How will vtec beneift me? I hear VTEAC is noisy.

SPlash

Splash

For a extra $1300.00 I would not think twice about it, go the 150, especially being the same weight.

I had a similar decision with the 200 V the 175, for memory there was $1200.00 in it.

Regards

Splash
05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
THansk Vit Sea.

Should I care about VTEC?

What is it and why is it a selling point?

SPlash

Vitamin Sea
05-11-2007, 07:19 PM
THansk Vit Sea.

Should I care about VTEC?

What is it and why is it a selling point?

SPlash

Splash

I know next to nothing about Honda O/Boards, never had one, all I know is that like any Honda product, they are quality, there are others on here like Garry ( SK ) who knows all about them.

I suspect the Vtec comes in on the higher rev range, but I do not know for sure, ask the dealer for a explanation.

If it was me, and had the coin, I would spend the extra $1300 to get the larger H/P, as I said previously, especially if they are the same weight.

Just do it

Cheers

Bill

Splash
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Tahnsk Vit Sea.

THanks boys!

Splash

Splash
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
splash

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/1960575.aspx is the comparo

and if you go through to about page 10 of the engine reviews there's a series of articles on outboards that explain the technology.

i agree noel, it's sounds like a good decision to me the more power (that you don't necessarilly need) for less weight.

I clicke don this link - how to get to page 10?

Splash

disorderly
05-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Scott

50 - 60 km's offshore in a 26 year old stacer is your danger factor regardless of what size and type of outboard it has on it!;) That far off shore means a long wait for help and when a pressed boat fails it really fails. I could tell you a story about a 5.2 savage osprey that literally feel apart at the southern gutters 35nm nth of hervey bay. the only reason they weren't swimming was the sealed floor and floatation. a 6 foot split opened up along the keel during the roughish trip up there. Mate offshore i would be looking at plate or glass , leave the pressed boat for the close in stuff.

Ian

I hope you check those welds alot! It would be ashame to sink that E-tec;D

I'm hearing you,Ian.
So thanks for your concernhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif but the old girl has got me there and back 50-60 times over the nearly three years I've had her.
She's old and ugly,rides like a pig and looks far better in the night after a few beers than in the day but from my experience its the old girls that have been around the block that give the best.....um..service.
I'll retire her and pick up a younger model when I can afford the upkeep for one.

BTW,glad to see you have done a bit of research on the E-Tec latelyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif
I personally think the DI 2 strokes will continue to have the wood over the 4 strokes in the foreseeable future.Any thoughts?

splash,

Good to see you are looking at putting adequate power on the back.Go the bigger motor if you can afford it

scott

PADDLES
06-11-2007, 06:43 AM
splash, there should be some page numbers along the bottom if you go into the engine reviews via the front page.

vtec changes the cam timing with rpm, engines work better with different cam timing for different rev ranges.

Splash
06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
thansk boys!

Splash
07-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Gidday!

Someone os selling their BF150 here in Gove - has 50 hours on it apparently.

Have not yet seen it or know how much they want for it.

Q1 - Give brand new BF150 trade for $17,200 (unfitted), how much should I expect to pay for a 50 hour old unit (unfitted)?

Q2 - How can I determine/confirm exact hours built up on it?

SPlash

youngfisho
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
why only considering honda 4 stk? There are other brands on the market. As others have said 140 Suzuki would be the go. better weight saving, and a reliable motor to boot.

andrew

Noelm
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I guess that unless the Motor has a "computer" on it that allows a means of reading the hours, then you will need to take the ex owner/dealers word for it.

Spaniard_King
07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Q2 - How can I determine/confirm exact hours built up on it?

SPlash

You pay my fees to come and connect my palm top to it, seeing I have 1 of the 2 in this country:o

Splash
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks boys.

Given brand new BF150 trade for $17,200 (unfitted), how much should I expect to pay for a 50 hour old unit (unfitted)?

Splash

Splash
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
why only considering honda 4 stk? There are other brands on the market. As others have said 140 Suzuki would be the go. better weight saving, and a reliable motor to boot.

andrew

Good question.

Honda and Suzki are the only brands that have chains and not belts.

Honda have a better warranty and the only factory warranty in Australia.

Honda BF150 have a better CC:HP ratio (more than 1:1) than the DF140 (0.8:1).

Honda have less electronics than the Suzukis.

Honda outboards are designed and built on proven formula-1 technology.

Honda spares is hugely more volumous (hence less lead time and much less expensive) than any other brand in Australia.

Honda BF150 is $3k cheaper than DF150.

Honda are quieter than suzukis.

SPlash

leezor
07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Good question.

Honda spares is hugely more volumous (hence less lead time and much less expensive) than any other brand in Australia.

SPlash

Yeah, but the Suzuki is black, and everyone knows once you've had black theres no going back!

Spaniard_King
07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Leezor,

Why don't you have that quote in your signature it would save your fingers somewhat :P

leezor
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Haha yeah, good idea Gary. Though I do have another "Suzuki, the NEW black" :)
Sorry for the dribble, now lets get back to the topic.

So Splash, when are you picking up your new Honda?

sid_fishes
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
splash.mate with all the questions,cum bullshit that you keep asking ,why dont you just do what your heart/brain tells you. you want a big arsed motor then get it. you want high end stuff but dont want to pay for it just do what you think is best hey sid

Splash
07-11-2007, 06:15 PM
HI guys!

I just stood next to the only BF150 in town and was scared to even tocuh it!

How big is this fcker! WOOWEE!

I was warned - thanks Spaniard King!

I think this unit woudl sink my rig!

Well Sid, any sguuestions :-)) lololol..

Splash

Fish Guts
07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
horses for courses splash. go the Thoroughbred !

www.suzuki.com.au (http://www.suzuki.com.au)

regards to warranty. suzuki only employs 1 man @ hains suzuki for the entire warranty work in Australia. thats gotta tell you something.

disorderly
07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
regards to warranty. suzuki only employs 1 man @ hains suzuki for the entire warranty work in Australia. thats gotta tell you something.

Yeah mate it tells me that you aren't going to be fishing for a while if you have a problem and dont live near the city that this suzuki warranty guy lives in.

Fish Guts
07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
do you have to ship the etecs in a coffin back to the states ?

cormorant
07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Good question.

SPlash

Has Honda fixed the problem where their crankshaft wears through the botton of the crankcase on their motors yet? Happening on some commercial motors without that higher hours but a lot more than a average punter does i 3 years.
Has hnda solved the water in their lower units for boats run hard?

All motors have flaws.

Splash
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
a set of oars looksk pretty good now...

Good to see some bias opinons back into the forae!

Sorry Sid!

Welcome!

disorderly
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Good one fishguts
You're on fire tonight,mate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Reread my response and get back to me with a serious response if you like.
Splash is living in Gove and it sure would suck to have a drama and have only one bloke to help you out in the whole country.

Scott

Fish Guts
07-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Disorderly,

ok on a serious note. with regards to warrranty.

The Haines Assurance Program is the provider of warranty in the event of any defect(s) in the manufacture or workmanship of a new Suzuki outboard, or any part or parts thereof (normal wear of parts excluded), upon such circumstances being disclosed immediately by the owner of the outboard to an authorised Suzuki Marine dealer (in splash's case, he could go to the two dealerships in NT). during the period of the warranty, together with sufficient information to verify the sale details of the outboard. The authorised Suzuki Marine dealer will then, at the company’s option, either repair or replace the defective part or parts at no charge.

cheers

fish guts

Splash
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Guts,

WHo woudl pay for the plane fare across to GOVE from Darwin for the suzi rep?

SPLash

Splash
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Guts,

WHo woudl pay for the plane fare across to GOVE from Darwin for the suzi rep?

SPLash

Fish Guts
08-11-2007, 11:37 AM
you live remote. thats the price you pay.

Noelm
08-11-2007, 02:12 PM
hhmm it would appear to me that the in "world according to fish guts" there is only one motor EVER the Suzuki 4 stoke, there has never been one break down EVER, only have one man in all Australia to fix them, and an etec is the worst motor ever built ALL of them are dead or just about to die, I wonder how many Etecs he has owned?? but I bet his mate at the Pub told him that "they are all crap" I have just been through all this in another post, someone asks for help, he does not need you to bleat and rant about YOUR motor, we do not give a fairies fart about how good yours is, get over it, answer the question with knowledge or info , or just stay quiet!! now thats my second whinge for the day! and I do NOT own an Etec OK!

Fish Guts
08-11-2007, 04:28 PM
dont take things so seriously Noelm. i dont think theres anyhting wrong with a bit of a debate. im sorry ive offended you. I wont stay quiet thou, this isnt a 'TECHNICAL' website so everyones entitled to their opinions, whatever they might be. its a forum, so if you dont like views that contradict your own then stomache it or go and start your own Noelm world forum. And look, id hardly call it ramming it down his throat......pfft c'mon, sorry if my opinions don't align with yours, stiff...I really dont see how someone could get soo offended. your the whinger mate, if you dont like it then dont stay on ausfish 24/7 and get out fishing.

and regarding your whinge about "have just been through alllllll of this in another post". get over it would you. talk about pedantic!!! buddy, i did one comment ' rip it off and use it as an anchor' in the other etec thread. build a bridge for gods sake. i dont give a damn if you have to read it. you dont own this site so dont act like you do. everyones entilted to their opinion..even including you professor Noelm.

leezor
08-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Just imagine how happy everyone would be if we all owned a Suzuki 4 stroke, oh well at least some of us are living the dream....
Scott, you know you want one...;)

PS. I don't really mean that, am just havin a bit of fun so please don't bite my head off :)

Fish Guts
08-11-2007, 04:57 PM
was just trying to keep the dream alive..

Splash
08-11-2007, 06:22 PM
THanks boys.

I appreciate all you r help.

I think I'll sit low for a while............

SPash

disorderly
08-11-2007, 07:07 PM
THanks boys.

I appreciate all you r help.

I think I'll sit low for a while............

SPash

Splash what do you think you are doing trying to hijack this E-Tec vs Suzuki thread?..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Oh thats right ,you actually started it to ask about honda's...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Splash
08-11-2007, 07:48 PM
If black, send it back - is that it?

SPlsh

Noelm
09-11-2007, 07:12 AM
I do not take things too seriously, and can take ANY sh!t anyone can throw at me, BUT, as I said, I do not see the value in bagging someone who is asking for help with a brand X motor, and people keep throwing things about THEIR brand(that happens to be the best ever) if it is a straight out debate over a certain brand with certain features, then so be it, squeal and rant for all it's worth, but someone in trouble or after info does not need to wade through pages of drivel!! that's all I am saying, keep on track and offer reliable info or keep out of it.

pueter66
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow this is like one of Ford vers Holden things.
Guys I agree lets keep our egos out of this.
I have found this thread very enlightning and I dont mind hearing about other brands which would match up with splashes boat. But lets just hear the facts and try to keep it around what splash wants and he should be able to expand his questions around the information you blokes provide after all he is trying to find the best match up for his boat and every motor has its pros and cons.

Cheers Pueter66

Splash
13-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Gents,

I have just learned that my hull is really rated to 140HP max. The 168KW stamp on the plate appears to be erronoeous. I confirmed this with Haines Unter in QLD today. So, for my application, is it better to go with the 135Hp or 90HP seeing as thought we now know the hull is rated to 140HP max.?

Regards
Splash

sid_fishes
13-11-2007, 06:16 PM
now, thank gary, as he knows his shit, and the rest can all calm down cheers sid

sid_fishes
13-11-2007, 06:21 PM
and no mate, if its black you wont go back!

Vitamin Sea
13-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Gents,

I have just learned that my hull is really rated to 140HP max. The 168KW stamp on the plate appears to be erronoeous. I confirmed this with Haines Unter in QLD today. So, for my application, is it better to go with the 135Hp or 90HP seeing as thought we now know the hull is rated to 140HP max.?

Regards
Splash

Made to order for a 135 Opti;)

Cheers

Splash
13-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Arent the Opt's black?

I have the Opti brochure - wil lcheck it out!

LOL - I luv this place!

SPlash

Timmy94
13-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Come on guys just cos Bob down the pub said the mates uncles cousins 2nd cousins best mates cousins mates etec stuffed up doesnt mean their shit and their bloody good so stop ure whinging about ure stupid motors im with noelm Every Motor is good,.