PDA

View Full Version : cheaters

cody1382
01-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Just wondering how many people here have used spud cannons for surf fishing?

theclick
01-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Just wondering how many people here have used spud cannons for surf fishing?Definitely given it a hell of a lot of thought. yet to figure out the exact logistics of it, actually attaching the bait to something that will project from the barrel a decent distance... then possible break off or act as a float.

Let me know if you sort it out... i will be interested

cody1382
01-11-2007, 09:54 PM
just wire on a pilly add a 5 foot sinker leader on the bottom of ya surf rig
stuff ya sinker in a lemon an walk about 50 yards of line up the beach let loose an turn that sweet 100 yard cast in to a 400 yard cast. the more line you lay out on the beach the more distance.
keepn the bait on an lookn good at the same time is a bit of atrick though

theclick
01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Why thank you, that is very useful. ill have to give it a try next time im at the beach and there are no police officers around

cody1382
01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
oh yeah traffic heavy beaches not a good idea
takes a bit of buggern around but once you get it right
youll be fishn beachs on other countrys

jman2016
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I for one love things that go bang! A cautionary tale if you will allow me.

But PVC can rupture without warning! No Stress cracks! No pressure signs!

I experienced this first hand, years ago and swore off spud guns for life.

Lets just say shrapnel and a close call with an artery!

An isolated beach with few users is a receipe for disaster!

You may have launched your bait over the feeding area!

I have seen a one armed guy using a compressed air launcher as a casting aid.

I myself have used a slingshot.

Mad-One
02-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Maybe he lost his arm from a spud gun incident

cody1382
02-11-2007, 09:01 AM
id show you mine but my brothers got it at the moment
full stainless steel
there is a saftey factor for using pvc spud cannons
fire chamber to barrel lenght volume ratio but i forgot it its probally on the net some where.
google spud guns in america you should find it.
but yes this is a projectile launching cumbustion device an there not toys
(becomes pretty obvious after the first time you use them)
nver seen one explode myself but im sure it can happen
still if used properly there heaps of completely illegal fun
(go at your own risk. Thers a reason there illegal)

Hot_Snappa
02-11-2007, 09:51 AM
If you want to drop your bait out 2klms...why not buy a boat? Otherwise , you'll probably find that most of the fish are at your feet in the shallows!

Cheech
02-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Last Fraser trip we tried drilling a hole in a golf ball and launch it with a driver. Didn't work, but was fun trying it.

mattooty
02-11-2007, 12:03 PM
For the shrapnel effect, we usually wrap the whole thing in duct tape. We've had 2 explode on us and the tape stops the shrapnel. Only used the heavy duty gaffer tape style though as anything cheaper will just heat up and let the shrapnel fly.

Havent tried it for beach fishing but id imagine that the bait would be completely ripped off as momentum takes hold

Dirtysanchez
02-11-2007, 01:17 PM
I know a bloke who has made a compressed air rocket launcher using 600ml empty coke bottles, in a PVC tube, so there you have a missile, and a float.

Apparently if you google search soda bottle rockets you will find heaps of info.
He puts fins on the end, and they go for miles ;D

Eagle
02-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I think I may have the perfect tool for those extra long casts. Here are a couple of photos of it. This is a one sixth scale replica of the 12 lb cannon that was used on the upper gun deck of "HMS VICTORY". The length of the gun in the photo is 20 inches. The caliber is 0.629 inches (12 gauge) and it is now 30 years old. I scratch built every part of it from plans I had kept for over 40 years. I used to take it to Brisbane and shoot it in the competitions held every year. I won every shoot with it. Yes, it does work and is very accurate. It weighs 10kg and kicks like a mule. And NO! you cant have it. It is now a family heirloom but I still shoot it. It fires a precision round lead patched ball and used black powder. No, it will never be used for fishing.
Eagle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Ngarie/CANNON3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Ngarie/CANNON4.jpg

cody1382
03-11-2007, 09:00 AM
That is one of the coolest things ive ever seen
do you dress up like a pirate at such events?
Have you ever smoked anything with it like an old car or somethin?
How the hell do you got a licence for a cannon?
Truly a work of art nice one mate.

dodgyone
03-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Pretty sure you dont need a licence as they are classified as an antique weapon. Did look into it a couple of years ago when a mate was casting a few up. He is a pattern maker and did a couple up for a guys front verandah. Then was working on a fully functioning one. Must see how it turned out.

Did see somewhere on the net a bloke had made a cannon that shot old bowling balls. Have to see if I can drag up the link.

Eagle
03-11-2007, 08:19 PM
I went to the USA for almost 7 years and left the cannon with a family member, who, with fear and trembling, stored it away until we returned to Australia. It was during my absence that all the firearm laws changed. When I came home I collected the cannon (my "baby") and took it with my other firearms to the local police station. I walked in and said I want to apply for a firearms license and register these firearms. The police were rather shocked by the request but there was at the time an amnesty for firearms. You could surrender all your firearms or apply for a permit to own them. I was able to obtain a firearms license plus a permit to aquire all my firearms. The police kept my rifles and cannon until all the necessary paperwork had been put thru. This took about 2 months. I then was called into the police station and was handed all my gear. The police were extremely friendly and very helpful and fasinated by the cannon. To answer your question about a license, it is required here in Qld. Being a registered gunsmith up until I went to the USA, going thru the paperwork was much easier. It just took some time to get it all completed. Even though the cannon is an "old" style gun, it still MUST be registered and be held under the apropriate licence.
So, what have I "smoked" with it. I put a ball thru a very old and very hard piece of Aust. hardwood at 50 meters. The wood was 2 inches thick and the ball flattened out and was caught by a few splinters on the exit side. At 50 meters again, I put numerous balls thru a large washing powder box that was sat on a mound at the a private range. The balls passed thru without knocking the box over and each ball made a perfectly sharp edged round hole.
Just for info, the chain links were made by hand from 1/16 mild steel welding rod. cut for assembly together and then each link was oxy welded. The barrel is made from a structual grade of 3 inch diameter steel and was machined to the form shown by hand. The lathe used was my Super 7 Myford long bed series. The drill to sink the bore was a custom made gun drill that I also designed and made at home. All the steel rings and hooks were hand forged and oxy welded. Each wheel is made in two parts, the wood being rotated 90 degrees for strength, glued and riveted. Lubrication for the wheels/axle is fine graphite. It was a fun project to build and very satisfying to see it in action when the first round was fired.
Joe

rockfisho
04-11-2007, 10:57 AM
If you've got a mate who is surfing while you're fishing, get him to take the line out the back.

Owen

oldboot
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I was reading somewhere recently that some blokes that were fishing for big palagics and sharks of some jetty or other were rowing their livies out.

you'd have to be keen

cheers

Dirtysanchez
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Some guys in NSW used to paddle their livies out on a big old surf board to target sharks, bloody mad if you ask me, but you are right, I bought an old surf ski and luckily remembered all the things from when I rode them as a kid, so I guess I could tow a ganged pilly or mullet out a few hundred Mtrs easily, then catch a nice wave back :)