PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel filter

on-one
31-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I have an 80hp ford diesel and am looking at moving the fuel filter, (the first one the fuel passes through when it leaves the tank) as it's facing a corner of the bilge where it's impossible to see if there's water in the glass bowl. I've had a few problems with water in the fuel in the past (have found and corrected the cause, sadly not before water shagged the injector pump) but am thinking if I move the filter maybe I should look at upgrading from the single cav filter fitted already. Is it worth/possible to fit a duel cav filter or should I look at one of the racor filters? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

moggy1
31-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi i sugest you actually run 3 filters. 1st one should be a inline filter, clear to see dirt of course, its only to stop heavy particles. 2nd should be a water seperator like the glass type your running now to trap the water and the glass type can be cleaned quick and easy. And 3rd should be a finer micron filter to catch finer materials and diesel algae. Change the inline regular as can something like a standard ryco z14 are cheap and does a good job. This inline filter does most of what the other 2 will do but they are for back up.
Cheers Moggy

p.s Diesel fitter by trade hope this helps

blaze
31-10-2007, 08:27 PM
good solution and will sovle the problem, another mug mechanic
cheers
blaze

on-one
31-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the replies - just want to make sure I understand. At the moment I've got three identical cav filters in the fuel line. The fuel leaves the tank, passes through a cav filter with a glass bowl, then through the primer pump thingy (with the thumb trigger for bleading the fuel line) then two more cav filters before getting to the injector pump. moggy1 should i run the three you suggest in place of my first filter, or three in total? Thanks again

blaze
01-11-2007, 05:34 AM
3 in total
first one will be the water trap with glass bowl and will always be the dirtiest. Always replace all at the same time. You could try and get a finer micron filter for the last one if you want to get real anal about it but this would not be an industry standard.
cheers
blaze