PDA

View Full Version : Sandgate Gossip

kingtin
31-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Well the doc signed me fit to drive today so I headed for sandgate pier. The plan was to walk to the end and back 4 times instead of exercising in the back yard.

A nice stiff breeze made it particularly cool and pleasant although I did feel rather out of place with the blue rinse brigade, despite puffing and blowing as much as they were :-)

The lower jetty has had it's decking ripped up and one of the uprights smashed by vandals, and the council were there closing it off. If that's your chosen position for cast netting you can give it a miss for a while...........I'm told they are going to repair it, but no time frame was given.

A diver was down at the end bay of the pier on the southern side and whilst I was there the wind shifted a few times and his empty tinny was taking a battering against the piles whilst he was down below. I don't know what exactly he was doing other than collecting old bottles, but he collected a few and they looked really old with crimped necks.

Some of you locals may know the little old pommy guy and his missus, both as round as they are tall ;D with the west country accents. He's been chucking a cast net on there, and at DWB for as long as I can remember and some days he's been on there at 5 am and still there when I've left at 4 pm. He's no longer chucking as he developed gangrene around his groin area and extensive tests showed that he had some marine organism or other that had somehow found it's way into him via a sweat rash :o Made me feel quite fit ;D he'd caught a couple of nice bream and been snagged by some others, fishing cheese paste dough under the piles.

Plenty of folk with crab pots out but no crabs showing and the jellyfish are just as thick with the onshore wind.

It's all made me feel how good it is to be alive and to appreciate the smaller things. So I can't wet a line yet...........so I can't get the rig out on the water.......what the hell! Sometimes it's just good to walk along the bay with the wind in your face and to see things that you normally wouldn't notice........things I had forgotten how to do. Have a yarn with some old acquantancies and make new ones.......see other people enjoying themselves in their twilight years, and the younger ones spending time with their bubbies..........yes, it's good to be alive. :D I'll take nothing for granted in future.

Till the next time.........this is your reporter from the Sandgate Bugle signing off ;D

kev

Timmy94
31-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Hahaha good informative post have u applied at the bayside star yet? I wouldnt be diving at the pier u should see some of the sharks they get off their.... seen them as big as 8ft.

Fishin_Dan
31-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Good to hear you're out and about Kev! The peninsula won't know what's hit it!

BR65
31-10-2007, 04:44 PM
gday Kev, good to hear your back in business.
Been a little quiet around here lately.
Used to catch some thumper bream off that lower platform when I was a kid, casting dough baits back in under the jetty.

regards
brian

kingtin
31-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Hahaha good informative post have u applied at the bayside star yet? I wouldnt be diving at the pier u should see some of the sharks they get off their.... seen them as big as 8ft.

That small!? ;) ;D

Actually, a "something" showed it's fin whilst I was there. It was pretty exciting until it's next surface and we realised it was just a dolphin. But you're right Timmy, I've seen a tiger shark caught from that pier that easily went 3 metres.

kev

Timmy94
31-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Well from barely 400metres out from the shore 8ft is quite alot.

kingtin
31-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Well from barely 400metres out from the shore 8ft is quite alot.

True, and I wonder how many people who swim there realise that those posts in the water used to once hold a shark net (I am told) :o If there was need for it back in the "old days", then why not now?

I know the Bay shark population was much bigger during the days of Tangalooma whaling, but there have been some really big whalers caught (regularly) off Sandgate pier and I know of no less than 4 big tigers.

Cuzzamundi may have more info than me as he targets 'em exclusively.

kev

Timmy94
31-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeh they were sharknets and those wooden fence pailing type things under the jetty were the equivalent for the jetty side.

blaze
31-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi Kev
Thanks again for your hospitality while in brissie, good to catch up and put some faces to names
And its great to see you are finally getting close to the water again
cheers
blaze

kingtin
31-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Kev
Thanks again for your hospitality while in brissie, good to catch up and put some faces to names
And its great to see you are finally getting close to the water again
cheers
blaze

My pleasure Blaze. Just a pity it couldn't have been for a little longer as once Ros gets the top off that bottle of Cougar, things really warm up ;D

I look forward to the next time.

kev

manchild
31-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Good to see you up and running mate.You say you cant take the rig out but can you travel in one?If so you welcome anytime, all you gotta do is wind the fish in we'll do all the casting for you:)
cheers
George

kingtin
31-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Good to see you up and running mate.You say you cant take the rig out but can you travel in one?If so you welcome anytime, all you gotta do is wind the fish in we'll do all the casting for you:)
cheers
George

Thanks for the offer George but they took vein out of my arm as well as the artery from my leg, so even holding a rod is out atm. The chest won't take any banging around either so even a trip in a boat is out of the question. I'll catch up with you on Crusoe over Xmas though.........I should have plenty of terminal rigs made up by then.............the nearest thing I get to fishing ::) ;D

kev

manchild
31-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Cruose sounds good mate.I thinking about going out there with the kids for a few days as well.First time in many years i gonna shot the office and stop taking business calls over christmas.Your operation is got me thinking so i went for a heart check up which i neglected for years.Valve problem is still there but otherwise strong as a horse fortunately.Usual advise ,drink ,smoke, stress and work much less.I was thinking visit the doctor less immidiately:)
cheers
George

Horse
31-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Good to see you up and about mate
Hope it won't be too long before the Whitley gets wet again

Cheers

Neil

Black_Rat
31-10-2007, 07:39 PM
You'll have to walk the Hornibrook next time for a report Kev.

It'll stop you walking in circles 4 times in a row :P ;D

ColacGirl
31-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Ros

Ummm.... who's Ros??? ;)

Your gossip segment explains why you didn't answer the phone this morning :)

--
Bev

kingtin
31-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Ummm.... who's Ros??? ;)

Your gossip segment explains why you didn't answer the phone this morning :)

--
Bev

That bloke who slips pass the spell checker :-)

There is such a thing as an answer phone you know. You'll probably get more intelligent conversation out of that, than you would out of me ;D

kev

kingcobe
01-11-2007, 07:12 AM
The least dad could have done would be to take me home as my school is just across the road from Sandgate Pier.;D>:(

Josh

jigsnreels
01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
That's an excellent post:D

Dirtysanchez
01-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Good on you Kev, nice to see you are on the mend.

You have reminded me how pre-occupied I have become with everything but fishing.. Mind you, most of that is with my 6 y.o Son, but maybe this weekend I can get out for a fish round Cabbage tree ck

All the best mate

Russell

BrandonH
01-11-2007, 09:18 AM
great report Kev:) Glad to hear your back on your feet and getting out and about!! I reckon it must be hard having the boats there and not being able to use them:-[ full recovery shouldn't be too far away though;)

take care and catch up soon!!!

Brandon...

cuzzamundi
01-11-2007, 01:02 PM
gday kev,

pm sent - great to see you back1

Timmy94,

mate 8ft is a godsneeze compared to what's around the area. i have never fished seriously for sharks at shorncliffe, but just ask the harmon brothers - they have caught many whalers well above 8ft there, not to mention a tiger as well. there would be many 12 plus foot tigers that would patrol the area in the warmer months - and you'd be shocked to find how close they venture into shore. also, if you ever talk to vic hislop he'll tell you of a fisho in the late seventies who was wading out at sandgate on an incoming tide ,watse deep, and lost both his legs below the knees - no doubt a big tiger. they would still be here in abundance, so i wouldn't be snorkelling if i were that bloke, day or night! as kids i used to be a pier rat on s'cliffe jetty, and we'd pull countless little bulls, so it was incentive enough to not swim anywhere in the area. the turbidity of the water alone should be reason enough, let alone the type and amount of sharks in the area. i have sharked redcliffe though - also a haven for big sharks! in short, they're all along our coast.

cuzza

ColacGirl
01-11-2007, 01:34 PM
There is such a thing as an answer phone you know. You'll probably get more intelligent conversation out of that, than you would out of me ;D

I like answer machine about as much as I like mushrooms! :)

--
Bev

ColacGirl
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
The least dad could have done would be to take me home as my school is just across the road from Sandgate Pier.;D>:(

Yeah dad, it's the least you could have done.... then again, there's probably less whingers on the bus ;)

--
Bev

ffejsmada
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Good on ya Kev, it's good to see you up and about enjoying life as you should.
I must admit, I'm a little dissappointed as to the no show of the "Top Tip" segment.;D;D

What's goin' on????;)

Cheers Jeff.

kingtin
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to respond and welcome me back onto my feet............and down to the beach ;D

Good on ya Kev, it's good to see you up and about enjoying life as you should.
I must admit, I'm a little dissappointed as to the no show of the "Top Tip" segment.;D;D

What's goin' on????;)

Cheers Jeff.

Couple of folk took offence Jeff...........you can please some of the people some of the time etc ;) ;D Here's one anyway ;)

kev

Top Tips:

Monks. Conduct a life of celibacy and emotional solitude without joining a monastery by simply living with my wife. It's more comfortable and you'll be able to watch TV and use the internet.

Timmy94
01-11-2007, 09:00 PM

Josh
Did you go to St Pats? I go their now, Hahaha

alfish
01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
kingtin, good to here your're on the mend

ignore the whingers they obviously just don't have a sense of humour.

al

Dirtysanchez
02-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Mate that is a belter of a top tip, but in your frail condition, and the Mrs being a nurse, is that wise ? :D

know what you mean though

Blueroo
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Good on you Kev. Glad to hear you are up and at em.
Cheers
Stue

madman1
03-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the goss Kev.

It's been a while since i've been along the Shorncliffe Pier since moving to Mackay.

Good to hear all is well.

Cheers

Mark