PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly bass

Little grey men
30-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Does anybody know how far west you can find bass. I fish the Condamine just out of Chinchilla and various creeks around it. I've been told by various reliable sources:-/ that bass have been taken in the smaller creeks....One creek in particular was supposed to hold a small population but they may have been stocked by a local.
I grew up creeping along the waterways out there and I still fish it when I get the chance,( You can take the boy out of the bush etc etc ) and I have never seen one out there.
My cousin catches them around the Toowoomba area and Chinchilla is just under two hours further west.
Anybody care to add to this one.

DR
30-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Hillbilly bass, they would be the ones that say to Rex Hunt 'you sure have purty lips for a boy'

if they don't have access to the saltwater they cannot breed. so i would imagine they would be stocked by someone. oh, unless they can drive ;)

Little grey men
30-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks DR, saltwater hey ? Gee the stocking associations must be putting heaps of bass into our impoundments. Hats off to them....I've been chasing these fish for the last six or seven months. Wasn't too sure about the breeding habits though.
Cheers for that.

kevin jackson
31-10-2007, 12:27 PM
sorry mate the closest bass to chinchilla is Cressbrook dam at toowoomba or Boondooma dan at proston, i live on the river south of chinchilla and have not heard of any reports of bass coming out of there or people stocking them. The main factor that there is no bass in the condamine is that it flows out in SA not in Qlds.

Little grey men
31-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Cheers Kevin, yep I guess bass swimming from Chinchilla to South Australia to breed would be a bit much for them. I was told by some people that bass were in Rocky creek. I was speaking to the greenskeeper at the golf course a while back, he likes to wet a line in the creek from time to time and all he mentioned was yellabelly and jewfish, no bass. I guess that someone probably saw a carp roll over on the surface and called it for a bass. As I said I've never seen one out there. I wonder how they'd go if they were put into the system out there. How's the river at the moment ?

kevin jackson
31-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah the river is very dirty at the moment and dropping fast coming into summer, i think it is in the low 40%, the fishing is on and off as most bait fishing is. but on any given day there are good quailty yella's coming out of it.

TIMMY 666
03-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah mate, Bass are only (naturally) found east of the Great divide.

cheers,

Tim.