PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Loomis etc from Awoonga Cabins.

rayken1938
29-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry to put a dampener on the site.
Compared to others I was lucky in that I only lost a top end ugly stick and shimano reel and a tray full of my new hypervipers and a few crazy deeps.
Feral lost a 54 lb thrust electric motor.
Another cabin had over $7000 worth of gear stolen.
Graham Pflaum lost a large Plano 4 tray tackle box chock a block with a 3 year collection of all his lures all top quality stuff conservatively valued at over $500, a $139 swiss army knife ,boga grips spools of braid and more.
He also lost a $500 gold coloured daiwa baitcaster and a custom made loomis overhead rod.
This rod has a distinctive one of a kind transfer on it.
I will attach a photo of the transfer that was made before it was attached to the rod.
If anyone sees this rod please notify the nearest police station and tell them the matter is being looked after by the Tannum Sands station.

tunaticer
29-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Geez Rayken,
Was all this gear stolen in one night from the one location??

I would be sending out emails to all cash converter stores in Victoria and NSW as this seems to be directly targetted at quality gear.

Did the cops find any prints or other clues??

Jack.

rayken1938
30-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Jack
It was all stolen one night from Awoonga Gateway cabins. There are 8 separate cabins there and gear was stolen from 4 of them between 8pm and 12 midnight.
There was a comp on over the weekend and the policeman said that a fishing comp always seems to attract the ferals.
When we arrived at the cabins we asked if it was ok to leave our engalls on the front verandah and the owner said that everything was safe there as they have never had a problem in the past.
Police just took a list of what was stolen and didnt mention fingerprints which would be understandable .
The only distinctive item that was stolen was Grahams loomis as none of our gear was marked.
I have arranged to borrow an engraver from out local police station and am going to engrave the reel seats of all my rods and reels this weekend.
Cheers
Ray

jtpython
30-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about it Ray
It seems it only takes a couple to ruin it for all
I heard about it on the news this morning on my way to work seems they were very busy.
Hope they get the one responsible for this
JT

breamnut
30-10-2007, 10:41 PM
slimy basters

Rodman
04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Mate
Asimular thing happened tome at Rainbow Beach Caravan Park at Carlo Point when a fishing club was conducting a fishing comp and about $12000 of gear including rods, reels, sounder, tackle boxes
The cops said that it was local dudes who would have donbe it but unless they are caught with the goods they cannot do anything

Ken

angler1
05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
misserable mongrels nothin better to do but steal an honest mans gear. we had our gear stolen out of our boats at johns landing right in front of our camp. and my father inlaw had his rods stolen out of his boat in his garage. hope there all caught and there fingers chopped off .

rayken1938
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Well the good news is that my insurance company NRMA are going to replace all my stolen gear with new.
It is covered by my household contents policy.
I have had phone calls from 2 different tackle supply companys wanting more details of the gear that was stolen.
Apparently the insurance company have a list of preferred suppliers and put it out to tender and they replace the gear rather than pay out a cash payment.
I am a lot happier now but will certainly be more security concious ( read paronoid) in the future.
My mates company ( Alliance) were very reluctant but changed their mind when he informed them that NRMA were going to pay me.
Cheers
Ray

disorderly
05-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Thats great to hear, Ray.
Do you have to supply receipts,photo's or any form of proof other than the police report?

scott

rayken1938
06-11-2007, 06:43 AM
They asked for photos and if I had receipts. I only had receipts for 6 lures and 3 chatterbaits and empty packets for 6 spinnerbaits. I only had a photo of the rod that was bundled up with 4 other rods that I took up there and you couldnt really tell what was what. I didnt have a photo of the reel. I would have had about 50 photos of fish that I caught with the outfit but not one showed the rod and reel.
Cheers
Ray

basskid
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Thats not to good mate,
Thats a coincidence because at my work the other day at akwana (a certain sports store that sells fishing) two youn guys about 22 years of age rocked up and decided to come into work and they asked me wats the best braid for awoonga and i said told em and they said can you ask your manager if he can knock off a bit of money cause its pretty expensive and i said yer sure and as i was goint out the back one of em walked out of the store and when i came back he came back and i had a chat with him then he needed to go check if he had enough bream supplies so they both headed out the door and BEEP BEEP BEEP. the ladies at the front counter asked what was in his pocket and they said notheing than the guy that his pocket beeped walked down tyo the camping section and my manager followed him and ask wat was happnin and he said nothing and they both walked out witthout there pockets beeping but upon further inspection down at camping were that guy was there were two very expensive spools of 50lb braid with wripped off security tags and later on in the day i found out he aslo stole a spool of 2lb fireline crystal. the guys were tall and normal looking excpet they were vert tanned and drove a white toyota ute and one of them had braces. hope this helps anyone hope it pays off somehow

The-easyrider
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
misserable mongrels nothin better to do but steal an honest mans gear. we had our gear stolen out of our boats at johns landing right in front of our camp. and my father inlaw had his rods stolen out of his boat in his garage. hope there all caught and there fingers chopped off .
Wouldn't doubt that at John's landing we went in for a look last xmas to check it out for camping / fishing trips , you could just about see the ferals rubbing their hands together at the thought some new goodies , probberly nick the paint off the car given the chance.

cormorant
07-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Mate all I can suggest is Data Dot all your gear and photograph it. Police use a worldwide database linked to your Driv lic and it is near impossible to remove . Has a flouro UV dye so police will find them. Same technology all the car and bike makers are useing All that stff you see at polic eauctions is because they can't identify the owner.

Hope the scum have a accident as they only get a slap if caught.

C

rayken1938
22-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Just a follow up. Things in the insurance world move very slowly but both Graham and my self have been paid out after a bit of a battle with our insurance companies.
The reason they ended up paying out is that the items were stolen from an ENCLOSED verandah. The verandah had a 3 ft fence around it and a gate whilst it only had a latch on it, it was deemed to be lockable.
The items were covered by our household contents policies that cover up to 10% of the value of your contents policy whilst you are away up to a period of 61 days.
You do have to be persistent with them as a lot of the call centre staff are not aware of this provision.
We were fortunate in that the Tannum Sands police made us aware of this.
I had contacted my insurance before the police came and they had already told me I was not covered but when I recontacted them they admitted liability.
Graham ended up with a cheque for $2000 made out to his local tackle shop who quoted on the missing items. My insurance ( NRMA) sent a list of the missing items to their preferred supplier who then posted the items to me.
Their Supplier is Hookup Bait and Tackle from Ferntree Gully in Victoria.
I found them to be really good to deal with and their prices are comparable with motack le from Coffs Harbor .
They were unable to supply the rod and reel that was stolen and a substiture rod and reel will arrive on Monday.
Alot of the spinner baits that were stolen were ones that I had purchased on ebay and as they do not stock the particular brand they have replaced them with ausspin ones.
Here is a photo of the replacement items. $ 560 worth.
Cheers
Ray

shaneomack05
22-12-2007, 09:09 PM
sorry to hear that guys. but reality is that it happens everywhere. no matter how quiet the town is, there is always a dodgy prick with his eyes on everyones gear. good luck with the hunt.

shane

BR65
23-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Geez, youd like to catch em in the act, there would be a slight delay while I broke all their fingers before calling the police - bloody scum
Looks like I just found todays job, go out to the shed and photo all my gear, includeing lures
cheers
brian

4x4frog
23-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Good idea BR65...sounds paranoid but it always helps to have proof I guess..actually I am not sure if photos of alll the gear is a good idea as I don;t think Mrs4x4 knows exactly how much I have:-X;D:o

Great ending to a bad story guys:)
Was a little concerned that Allianz were reluctant to pay out because they are my insurer too.
I am going to be a little more careful stowing my gear this holidays at Hervey Bay so as not to attract any unwanted attention. You know, I never even thought there was a big problem with theft at out of the way locations but it's happening more and more:(
Sad as it may be I think the moto for the holidays will be secure it or lose it

Blackened
24-12-2007, 04:13 PM
G'day

This post has made me a bit more cautious as well

Good to see you had everything replaced, and pretty good timing aswell :)

Dave

Feral
25-12-2007, 04:48 AM
Got the rod and reel yesterday. Shimano twinpower splooled with fins 20 lb braid and a nitro spin rod. I downgraded a little on the replacement reel and upgraded on the rod. I am quite impressed with the rod and like their $60 replacement policy which I was not aware of.
Overall I ended up a little on top but would still not wished to go through all the stress and drama.
Cheers
Ray

4x4frog
25-12-2007, 06:01 AM
That's great Ray.8-)
I don't know, the inconvienience is worth the extra bit on top.
I read on a car foum that even the amount you have as an agreed value for a car is negotiable for that sort of thing too, sundry expences and extras. The Insurance Co's don't tell you this though. (I am not 100% certain of the details of this but it'd be worth checking if nayone had a great deal of hassle after the loss of a vehicle....my 2c worth)

Now we want photos of the first 'new' gear fish;D ;D

Chris J
29-12-2007, 08:05 AM
i have been there many of time fishing and always love the place. i will be keeping an eye out on my gear a lot more than used to.

i see you some of your stuff back on insurance... that is good but it just not the same is it..

i hope they catch the person/persons that have stolen all the gear..

best of luck guys and all the best with the new gear..