PDA

View Full Version : Considering boat storage!

Twisted_Pair
29-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi all, I am considering putting my boat into the dry storage shed (rack system) at Meridien Marina Horizon Shores and was looking for some feedback from anyone who uses this facility. I mainly fish/cruise the Pin & Broadwater area, used to use their ramp, now using Rudy Maas. A normal trip for me requires a 140km round trip towing the rig (quinny 560 freedomsport 115hp mariner 4 stroke) I can’t launch & retrieve by myself. The deckie’s has had enough of my instructions & reckons she can spare the $2K plus for 12 months rent. I figure less stress at launch retrieve makes for a better day on the water. Like to here your thoughts.

PWCDad
30-10-2007, 08:00 AM
I dont store my boat in the racks at Horizons but have a few friends that do, so can add a little info ....

The system seems great to me ! They launch your boat via the big forklift and you walk down the ramp to the pontoons and away you go. You then drop it back to pick-up pontoons and walk away. Check on the amount of washing they do before storing ... AFAIK its motor and outside of boat ?

Working on boat is no problem (friend and I rebuilt anchor winch of a boat stored) they place it on a frame outside and you can work all day on boat etc.

When returning i think there is a cut-off time for racking that day ...they then rack the next morning for you ... so you can stay out late say Sunday night etc.

Big advantage with boat not getting UV (obviously) with covers and general look of boat staying just like it is it garaged at home.

My wife often gets a lift over to Straddie with a stored boat from Horizons (I have a leave pass on Fridays) and she parks her car in Horizons and jumps aboard ... so you can have have friends park their car there and come out for a trip in your boat etc.

Regards
PWCDad

PADDLES
30-10-2007, 08:07 AM
G'day twisted, dunno about horizon shores but spinnaker has a similar system and it's awesome. last chrissy i had to do some work on the trailer and chucked the boat in a rack for a couple of weeks, even though our local ramp is just around the corner i damn near left the boat at spinnaker they made it that easy.

Twisted_Pair
30-10-2007, 08:32 AM
[quote=PWCDad;705220
Working on boat is no problem (friend and I rebuilt anchor winch of a boat stored) they place it on a frame outside and you can work all day on boat etc.

[/quote]
Thanks PWCDad
I was concerned about being able to access for maintenance.
Regards TP

Blackened
30-10-2007, 07:08 PM
G'day

I was working down there today, has been about 3 months since I have been down

Talk about construction!

All i can say is if thats what you want to do, do it. My grandad had his whittley up there, very easy to do.

Dave

shubeej
30-10-2007, 08:23 PM
hey twisted , we keep our boat down there on trailer storage & have for the last couple of years , the guys hook your trailer up with a tractor & launch it , you just drive it of on or they will do it for you. great option for us.
cheer shubeej

PinHead
30-10-2007, 10:24 PM
trailer storage will be a thing of the past there once the new facilities are built..will be all rack storage but for a very few boats.

FrankFWM
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I just wish they would open up their ramp again.... I MISS it and the security for your car and trailer!

ozscott
07-11-2007, 07:57 AM
mate I know that Rudy's looks a bit light for security - the donkey, 12 year old blind arthritic GSD etc but I have never in probably 40 times of going out there had anything lifted or damaged. I think that the blokes who have boats on site that are being repaired (like the odd 40 foot steel cat etc) keep an eye on things alongwith the family owners...and others who come and go and want their stuff safe so are unlikely to be stick fingered...overall very good and the ramp and pontoons are really good also.

Cheers.

PS. Cheaper than HS from memory also.

Dirtysanchez
07-11-2007, 09:24 AM
trailer storage will be a thing of the past there once the new facilities are built..will be all rack storage but for a very few boats.

G'Day
Just wondering about Pin Heads input above, so does that mean you would not buy a trailer with your boat if you planned to keep it at one of these Rack storage places ? I want to buy a boat next year and also struggle with storage space at home, so I have been looking at hard stand storage at places like storage king etc.

I Inquired at the new Marina on Brissy river, but they don't have racks yet and they want a ridiculous amount of money for a hard stand ($3K p/a) :o

So what would you do with your trailer if you stored your boat in these rack things ?

Thanks

Russell

ozscott
07-11-2007, 09:40 AM
you would probably need a place for the trailer - could could consider tipping it up sideways against your house and holding it in place securely there....however if you dont get a trailer you are stuck at the one base unless you have the fuel capacity and time to travel long distance from say Brissy River to the Pin when the tailor are running or the Seaway when the big bream and biting etc.

Cheers

Twisted_Pair
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi all, just a note to let you know that of this afternoon my rig is now happily sitting on a rack at Meridien Marina.;D Quite a painless experience. All dealings with staff so far very polite & courteous. Looking forward to enjoying more regular hours on the water with no stress at launch/retrieve.:P
Cheers T_P

Finnatical
09-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Good on you.

I doubt you will look back. It will make you boating experience all that much more enjoyable and stress free.

Let us know how it goes over the longer term
Jason