PDA

View Full Version : 90 Optimax vs 90 Honda

def-90
28-10-2007, 05:37 PM
G'day guys - I am almost there with my purchase and likely moving from Opti on my last boat to Honda...

I get a sense that the Honda is significantly more expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on one Vs. the other and any ideas on fitted prices?

I just saw another post on 115 opti being ~ 11-12K which I think is much less that what i may be paying for the honda 90.....

Any contributions would be welcome!

Coontakinta
28-10-2007, 06:52 PM
def, y r u thinking of going to the honda? Think i would stick with the optimax over the honda. weighs less, almost as fuel frugal, smoke free, and quiet. Is cheaper to maintan as well. And those 75/90/115 opti's pack some real punch.

Did u have a bad experience with your optimax?

Spaniard_King
28-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Def, do your self a favour and go for a run on a boat with each engine and make your own mind up. The new model 90 honda is a superb engine.

def-90
28-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I idnt have any bad experience with my Opti, in fact I really liked it.

The new honda is recommended and packaged by the dealer. I can go that way if I like or I can request an Opti which is doable....

Thing for me is my packeage is gettng expensive with all the options, so if the Opti is 3-4 grand cheaper then everything makes sense!

I would love to test those motors but practicality makes it not possible... I think I now what to expect, Honda - great mid and top end, quiet, econmoical etc. Opti - puchy, a bit noisier, some oil cost etc...

If the pricing i saw was correct on another post, maybe I can get a 115 Opti as opposed to a 90 Honda too...'

My 2006 225 Opti was an awesome motor too.....

Coontakinta
29-10-2007, 01:19 PM
def90, not sure if this is really that much help but might be of interest to u

http://boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/2795857.aspx

tinny boy
29-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Go the honda. Better off buying prooven new technology than old technology.

Tinny

Noelm
29-10-2007, 01:51 PM
don't think you will ever get a decision on one motor V another one any time, let alone a 2 stroke V 4 stroke like you are, they are all good if one is significantly cheaper than the other it may be attractive, but also beware of the "Dealer experience" if you have a great dealer near you that leaves the other for dead in Service and help, let that be a factor as well, the outright cost is not the very end of the purchase, what is cheaper to buy might get dearer later when Service (or lack of) comes into it, as can bits and pieces for your Boat later on, a good Dealer will help you out on these purchases as well down the track.

Coontakinta
30-10-2007, 08:27 AM
leaves the other for dead in Service and help, let that be a factor as well, the outright cost is not the very end of the purchase, what is cheaper to buy might get dearer later when Service (or lack of) comes into it, as can bits and pieces for your Boat later on, a good Dealer will help you out on these purchases as well down the track.

Hear Hear!

Very Wise words spoken here.

Coontakinta
30-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Go the honda. Better off buying prooven new technology than old technology.

If its new, how can it be proven?

I agree that fuel injecting the 90 is an advancement on the old triple carby, a gr8 step forward, but its hardly new technology.

The optimax is in a similar league. been around for ages with modifications to make them better. Just like the Honda.

def-90
30-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I am going with the 90 Honda - lets see how it goes, I will revert back on that once I collect my new boat 22/12....

AnthonyL
31-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I dont know what the fuel economy is like with the honda but I have the 90 optimax and am surprised how little fuel we use.

Spaniard_King
31-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Def,

Be good to hear some feedback on the Honda 90 :)

Smithy
30-11-2007, 09:10 AM
So why have you downsized from the Tabs to the Stabi?

def-90
30-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I mostly used the TABS singlehandedly so while manageable, the boat was a bit too big....

Also, I was going to have to modify my garage to fit it in properly so decided a downsize was a good way to go.....

3 weeks away now anyway!

Noelm
30-11-2007, 02:07 PM
what made you swing to Honda in the end??

def-90
01-12-2007, 01:24 AM
G'day Noelm

Dealers choice and strong recommendation - I trust the dealer MY MArine. Dont know if you dont try i suppose!

Its more expensive but I think will hold its value well.

Lets see, I plan an upgrade in 2-3 years to a Stabi Supercab so by that time I will tried both and can make a good decision....

What do you think??